WTT for My First D90! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ala5ka
Chase
None

Smile WTT for My First D90!

Hello guys, I'm brand new here but I fell in love with the Defender long ago. I'm planning an Alaska to Argentina trip and I need a Rover I have 99 Isuzu VEHIcross in perfect shape I'm looking to trade for a D90 in ok shape to begin outfitting for said excursion. The VX is perfect (showroom) with 56k miles but I need more space. If you have anything I'd love to see it especially if it is in Alaska. Feel free to call/text/post what you have or ideas on where I can find something. 602 663 1691 my name is Chase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Add about $15-25k cash with the trade and you'll find a nice one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Ala5ka
Chase
None

Being mechanically inclined (gunsmith/upholsterer) I don't need a nice one per say, also being a gunsmith/upholsterer I don't have $15k to add maybe $5k. Thanks for the advice!

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2013 03:15 PM ------

Here's a picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Chase: Roversnorth is right on the money with their advice.
Especially since your needs suggest a 110.
Think you might be better off with a Disco or 4runner.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
Hello guys, I'm brand new here but I fell in love with the Defender long ago. I'm planning an Alaska to Argentina trip and I need a Rover I have 99 Isuzu VEHIcross in perfect shape I'm looking to trade for a D90 in ok shape to begin outfitting for said excursion. The VX is perfect (showroom) with 56k miles but I need more space. If you have anything I'd love to see it especially if it is in Alaska. Feel free to call/text/post what you have or ideas on where I can find something. 602 663 1691 my name is Chase
Man you are a LR guy in the making for sure....you are willing, able and quite insane to trade a perfect vehicle of any type for a piece of crap, rusted, unreliable D90! lol.... Good Luck with your search!!

PS...the only additional space you'll find with a D90 is on an expedition rack....put more than 4 people in your 90 plus gear and you'll fight for oxygen. But at least you'll never hear anyone complain!
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Ala5ka
Chase
None

I have one wife and no other passengers, like the short wheelbase, the nostalgia
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a perfect project truck for you. No trade needed - since it is really cheap and as close to AK as you can get in the lower 48.

Needs a little bit of work - on nearly everything. $6K as it sits today and it's all yours - (I have a complete hood and sticks available to make it a soft top) Diesel engine has good compression - on one cylinder. The shocks are shot, frame is patches, and the tub has a good bit of rot. All the electrics work though...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	67636

Also have a ton of good new and used parts available to get you on your way to a roam-ready rebuild. New 110 chassis, complete 300Tdi motor and transmission, motor mounts, exhaust, 5-door tub, 110 roofs, middle doors, etc...

If this is too much of a project you should be expecting to spend ~40K minimum to source and outfit a solid running Defender for long distance travel. Also have a 130 I will begrudgingly sell any time after June for a wee bit more...
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

You should definitely check out the "For Sale" section here, just look at the prices to understand what I meant. I mean no offense, but these vehicles have held, and even gained value over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO You'd be better off driving the Vehicross for your trip.

With all respect, I don't think you have any idea what you are asking for. You will spend a year fixing whatever you get, which will not be much, and get divorced along the way because you will be spending a lot of time and/or money fixing it. Once your newly single self finally gets the truck on the road, it will break down somewhere on the trip in a very inopportune place costing you more money.

You are asking for a lot of trouble just for some nostalgia.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You missed this one...not that he was looking for a trade, but it was starting out in the mid teens at least.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41404
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Unless she share's the same passion about a Defender, then it's game on! They do exist, although they are rare.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ala5ka
Chase
None

The community here is awesome! Everyone owns one and trying to talk me out of having one hahaha. Thanks mybluett ill hit you up. You guys also are really responsive that's great
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Here is another possibility. Start looking around the For Sale - Vehicles section a tonnnnnnnnnn and find some, reach out to the owners privately, and work out a deal. In the mean time, post your truck up for sale locally and see if you can sell it.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43406

Living where you live, it's going to be tough to find local defenders. But keep an eye on your local craigslist, as I've seen a few Series bought off of there lately. Maybe you should actually really more consider a Series based on your budget, and their higher availability geographically.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The community here is awesome! Everyone owns one and trying to talk me out of having one hahaha. Thanks mybluett ill hit you up. You guys also are really responsive that's great
The intent is good - think of it as hazing. If you ignore the good advice and buy a Defender anyway you're in like Flynn.

If you are serious about making the trip, I would suggest that you find your way to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ in May. You can spend a weekend chatting up people who have done extended vehicle based travels.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I hope you don't interpret my advice as rude. We are not trying to dissuade you. We are attempting to provide you realistic feedback. You are asking to trade a quirky 14 year old vehicle worth perhaps $7,500 in a private sale for a vehicle that is known to require significant repair even if you can find one for $15,000.

Then you want to drive said vehicle 12,000 miles, 9,000 miles of which is through some of the sketchiest parts of the western hemisphere.

Old March 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
9,000 miles of which is through some of the sketchiest parts of the western hemisphere.
I-5 is only ~780 miles through California. The rest should be a cakewalk.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
I-5 is only ~780 miles through California. The rest should be a cakewalk.
very nice!
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Ala5ka
Chase
None

I don't see anyone's help as being abrasive or rude its all great advice. If I can dodge others mistakes than I'm rolling along the wiser. There are some series rovers in the area I just always liked the looks and clearance of the 90 need something that looks cool for a young mans surf trip and sight seeing trip through Central America. Need something that reliable and eclectic enough to make the journey
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM
ruggedalaskaman
Frank
1995 NAS D-90 #375

Registry
Chase we will have to stay in touch as that trip is on my bucket list also. I have the D90, but have to finish school before I can head home to AK. There was a guy in Soldotna that had a Arlis Blue 95 SW when I was looking a few months ago.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
I need something that looks cool for a young mans surf trip and sight seeing trip through Central America. Need something that reliable and eclectic enough to make the journey
I love your vision, but you're out of your mind. Nobody will see you with your head under the hood broke down in the middle of nowhere.

I bought a "cheap" D90 for $18k and have already put about $10k into making it "reliable"

But all that said, go for it. I'm all for a good surf trip.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, d90