Old January 8th, 2015, 07:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I have a brand new set and the bag says 285/75/16. I never needed them since my tires do pretty good in the snow. You're welcome to borrow them.
That would be awesome. Are you ever down in NYC? I have about a month until Winter Romp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:42 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That would be awesome. Are you ever down in NYC? I have about a month until Winter Romp.

Go meet him in Tappan, then stop by the Mountain house in Sparkhill for the best pizza in Rockland county. I would ride up with you if you wanted.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
http://bb4wa.com/easy-tire-chains-helpful-hints/

Most of this is the opposite of what John is saying. I'm not saying he is wrong, as I have no experience in tire chains, I just remember reading this a while ago. Unless you suddenly gain traction with front chains, I highly doubt you'll be blowing up diffs or CV's. Both are cheap fixes even so.

I'm still undecided about chains for WR, but after what John said, I might just buy one set rather than a full set, if that will be sufficient. I may also be interested in a group buy.
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well you can blow up diffs and halfshafts with a stock engine and tires without trying very hard. The risk is always greater with any kind of traction aid. As for whether to run them or not @ the romp and on which axle(s), I've tried every combination and I have to agree with John that running them on the front only is super sketchy and not just on downhills. I definitely prefer to have all four chained up. They really help when the surfaces are icy. When you are riding on a thin crust of frozen snow on top of 2' of powder, they just help you break through faster and get stuck everywhere.
Then there's the corn starchy snow that doesn't pack under the wheels. Hard to go anywhere through that stuff, chains or no.

If you only have one pair just bring one pair and put em on the back. You will still have fun. Lots of folks don't even bother with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
http://bb4wa.com/easy-tire-chains-helpful-hints/

Most of this is the opposite of what John is saying. I'm not saying he is wrong, as I have no experience in tire chains, I just remember reading this a while ago. Unless you suddenly gain traction with front chains, I highly doubt you'll be blowing up diffs or CV's. Both are cheap fixes even so.

I'm still undecided about chains for WR, but after what John said, I might just buy one set rather than a full set, if that will be sufficient. I may also be interested in a group buy.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What is opposite to what I said? That article all sounded fine. The RUD Grip 4x4 chains mentioned there are okay. I use a set for the front. They don't provide the traction of heavy V-bar and can break. They are good choice of you have clearance problems or want to limit the stress on the axles. I suggest the V-bar if you have the room and axle strength. They are quicker to install, provide better traction and will last a lifetime without any worries. This advice is for off road use not on road and based on personal experience. I winter wheel fairly hard trails regularly and it is very common to have pure ice on the trails.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
What is opposite to what I said? That article all sounded fine. The RUD Grip 4x4 chains mentioned there are okay. I use a set for the front. They don't provide the traction of heavy V-bar and can break. They are good choice of you have clearance problems or want to limit the stress on the axles. I suggest the V-bar if you have the room and axle strength. They are quicker to install, provide better traction and will last a lifetime without any worries. This advice is for off road use not on road and based on personal experience. I winter wheel fairly hard trails regularly and it is very common to have pure ice on the trails.
"I recommend putting them on the front axle since you have steering, braking, and traction." - the Bill Burke article.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, I just remembered reading this. I would also tend to agree with this (based on theory, not practice) considering that a FWD car works fine in the snow on road where a RWD car won't move.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
He is wrong about that. They are dangerous on the front only. When you go down a steep hill the rear tires will have no traction and the back end will swap leaving you open to roll. It is very hard to recover when this happens. You need to accelerate fast very early as the back slides and most people don't have the ability to react that way.

Add to that when going up the front wheel have little weight and won't help climb much.

Winter is half the year here and my favourite time to wheel. I run rear only most of the time. I find very little is added when putting on the front chains.

Like I say the RUDs are mediocre and not that robust but the best choice if you can't fit real chains.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:27 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

If I had to choose which end to put chains on, it would always be the front on a 4WD truck/SUV. Always. You'd have a hard time finding anyone making a living off the land in the big mountains out west to say otherwise. Bill B's explanation is spot on.

There is no science in this. Didnt even know this was discussion worthy, but I find it unsafe to give contrary advise.
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
If I had to choose which end to put chains on, it would always be the front on a 4WD truck/SUV. Always. You'd have a hard time finding anyone making a living off the land in the big mountains out west to say otherwise. Bill B's explanation is spot on.
Sorry Sam, but you and Bill B are the only people I have ever heard advocate for chains on the front, if you only have one set. I made that mistake as a stupid youth and learned from it.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:01 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Paul, pointless arguing something like this, especially on the 'nets. I'll throw out my background and where I come from and folks can make up their own mind....Family has made a living and recreated off the Idaho Rockies since my namesake took a wagon over the Oregon Trail. And Ive never heard an argument from anyone otherwise on this topic. Ever, well, until here.

I would add, if the danger is that the rear of a vehicle might slide out on a downslope that steep, then how exactly are you going to steer your vehicle? The weight is obviously better situated over the front of vehicles. Red might be right about hurting the front drivetrain, but chains necessitate a light throttle regardless.

Lastly, driver experience in slick conditions and throttle application will obviously trump anything I claim.... Cheers!
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
He is wrong about that. They are dangerous on the front only. When you go down a steep hill the rear tires will have no traction and the back end will swap leaving you open to roll. It is very hard to recover when this happens. You need to accelerate fast very early as the back slides and most people don't have the ability to react that way.
I know I'm not experienced in this but I can completely invision this and completely agree with the thinking. Your engine weight would be forward, as would your traction. I know I'd never brake using only my front brakes on my mountain bike when going downhill. Momentum going downhill was always way sketchier when offroading on ice than it ever was when trying to climb. Downhill was a feeling of a lack of control, whereas climbing uphill in ice was more of a nuisance than a fear.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:05 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I know I'm not experienced in this but I can completely invision this and completely agree with the thinking. Your engine weight would be forward, as would your traction. I know I'd never brake using only my front brakes on my mountain bike when going downhill. Momentum going downhill was always way sketchier when offroading on ice than it ever was when trying to climb.
If the incline is that steep that your rear end slips, then you'll encounter the opposite problem if you chain the rears, a complete lack of steering. You choose your poison.

Obvious answer is four wheel chain with added weight in the rear on an incline that steep.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
If the incline is that steep that your rear end slips, then you'll encounter the opposite problem if you chain the rears, a complete lack of steering. You choose your poison.

Obvious answer is four wheel chain with added weight in the rear on an incline that steep.
Not quite the same. Going downhill your wheels are going in the direction of your descent, i.e. where gravity is pulling you. When climbing your wheels are (primarily) attempting to pull you in the opposite direction of gravity. But yes, while I understand the "choose your poison" argument, when you're going downhill, the majority of your weight (i.e. the engine) is in the front, and if that's where you bight your traction you can understand how your rear would be quite light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted