Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 27th, 2016, 11:50 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
WTB: NAS Defender 90

I am very close to pulling the trigger on an very clean but pricey ROW truck for import. Before I do that I want to see if I can get a NAS truck for a little more.

My budget is $30k which I know is a bit low, but if anyone wants a quick sale...

Must be manual transmission and not yellow in color. Soft top preferred.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
shell out the extra for a NAS if you want a soft top, I just bought all the parts to do my hard top (properly) and I figure its going to be at least a $5500 bill.

so if you figure the ROW truck will cost $3K-$4k to import youre already behind IMO
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:49 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
There should be a pretty big difference in a high$ RoW and low$ NAS. One should be turn key and reliable from day one. The other will likely be a rolling project that will need to be closely monitored with no guarantees. With that said I'd buy a NAS and work through the pain if I had the time and patience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2016, 01:07 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
There should be a pretty big difference in a high$ RoW and low$ NAS. One should be turn key and reliable from day one. The other will likely be a rolling project that will need to be closely monitored with no guarantees. With that said I'd buy a NAS and work through the pain if I had the time and patience.
Reasons I want NAS:

1. Possibility of a soft top
2. Air conditioning
3. Disc brakes all around
4. Ability to run alloy wheels
5. Already has rollover protection
6. Bulkhead already removed
7. Nicer seats

Reason I want a ROW:

1. Considerably cheaper
2. Turbo diesel
3. 'Simpler" truck means less headaches. I plan on doing all work myself.

Not really looking forward to taking a saw to the bulkhead of the ROW truck....
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:18 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
The difference in these two trucks is significant IMO. Both are excellent obviously but, for much different reasons. One is well suited for a wider range of use the other imo is not. My NAS is used it for everything and has been my daily driver for 125k with few issues. My ROW diesel is not something I can see filling the same shoes. More suited as a third vehicle IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:21 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
One is well suited for a wider range of use the other imo is not. My NAS is used it for everything and has been my daily driver for 125k with few issues. My ROW diesel is not something I can see filling the same shoes.
Can you go into detail more? What makes your diesel less usable? Lack of A/C? Reliability? Suspension etc should all be the same no?

I figured if I got the ROW (200tdi), cut out the bulkhead and installed some NAS seats, rear discs, and a roll over cage it would be basically the same.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

NAS seats means nothing. By now they are 20 years old. In both cases it really depends on how old the foam is.

The real question is have you driven a NAS or a 200 TDI?

Have you driven a truck with rear drums?

Why is the bulkhead removal a big deal?
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:31 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Can you go into detail more? What makes your diesel less usable? Lack of A/C? Reliability? Suspension etc should all be the same no?
The biggest difference is a diesel is loud, smells and shakes/rattles and rolls. Tough to have passengers inside with you for any period of time. That's just the nature of a row diesel and its not something I personally think folks are successful overcoming with insulation and such. It's the nature of the beast. I think it's well suited for a third vehicle but not something most wives and kids want to deal with as a second vehicle. Reliability is a function of how much effort one puts into the vehicle, either pre or post purchase. Typically it's garbage in garbage out. If you are a great mechanic and have lots of time to work on your row and enjoy it then you are outside the normal bell curve. A nas can be more easily maintained Imo by a basic car mechanic. Again the intended nature of the beast. At least it has been in my experience.

Old April 27th, 2016, 01:47 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Reasons I want NAS:

1. Possibility of a soft top - ROW/CKD/UK All can run soft tops
2. Air conditioning - Can be added, waste of money for me atleast
3. Disc brakes all around - Cheap enough to fix
4. Ability to run alloy wheels - Wheel spacers will fix this
5. Already has rollover protection - Many military 110's had ROPS
6. Bulkhead already removed - huh? I wouldnt remove mine, rigidity.
7. Nicer seats - So easy to fix, but NAS seats werent all that great anyway.

Reason I want a ROW:

1. Considerably cheaper - Buy based on how rust free they are, everything else is cheaper to fix.
2. Turbo diesel - Unless it's a 200/300tdi it is not usable for most, especially for someone who insits on A/C, even so they are still not amazing for highway crusing.
3. 'Simpler" truck means less headaches. I plan on doing all work myself. - All of the previous owners had the same mindset, you will be correcting their mistakes (or adding to them) this goes for NAS also

Not really looking forward to taking a saw to the bulkhead of the ROW truck....
Just some of my thoughts to keep in mind in red.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

One would assume if he removes the bulkhead he is adding the bulkhead removal bar.
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:01 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
One would assume if he removes the bulkhead he is adding the bulkhead removal bar.
I was always told never to assume.
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I was always told never to assume.
Fair enough.
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:40 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I am cutting out the bulkhead in mine to fit a NAS style cage, its not rocket science, I will likely line-x the loadspace after as I do not think that anything will improve acoustics as much

I am going to attempt some soundproofing while I am doing all of the above and sorting out wiring issues. All said and done I have blown your budget by 30% I would say and I am still only 90% done with my truck. just about any original truck from abroad is going to require some serious TLC to bring it up to NAS standards to be fair, just think of the owners of NAS trucks and you have some indication of maintenance.

ROW trucks are basically like american jeeps in their level of care.

Now, I may be heavily invested in my truck but suffice to say that a galvanized frame, 300 TDI and NAS cage are all desirable even in RHD (currently) configuration. a NAS truck with the same additions would cost $20K (at least) more than what I am into my ROW build for.
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:56 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
There should be plenty of LR product on LI. You might post up and help signal and do some joy riding before committing to something first. OR, just wing it and make it work.
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:22 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
The biggest difference is a diesel is loud, smells and shakes/rattles and rolls. Tough to have passengers inside with you for any period of time. That's just the nature of a row diesel and its not something I personally think folks are successful overcoming with insulation and such. It's the nature of the beast. I think it's well suited for a third vehicle but not something most wives and kids want to deal with as a second vehicle. Reliability is a function of how much effort one puts into the vehicle, either pre or post purchase. Typically it's garbage in garbage out. If you are a great mechanic and have lots of time to work on your row and enjoy it then you are outside the normal bell curve. A nas can be more easily maintained Imo by a basic car mechanic. Again the intended nature of the beast. At least it has been in my experience.
Awesome thanks for the thoughtful reply. I have never driven in a Defender 90. Jumping in head first.

I wonder if some of the smell and drive line vibration can be rectified with some creativity... I am willing to experiment.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 03:25 PM ------

Quote:
NAS seats means nothing. By now they are 20 years old. In both cases it really depends on how old the foam is.

The real question is have you driven a NAS or a 200 TDI?

Have you driven a truck with rear drums?

Why is the bulkhead removal a big deal?
1. No, I have only sat in Defenders, never driven.

2. No I have only driven cars with drum brakes

3. Bulkhead removal isn't a big deal other than taking a angle grinder to a truck with a nicely painted interior.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 03:26 PM ------

Quote:
Yes I want to install a NAS style bar.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 03:29 PM ------

Quote:
There should be plenty of LR product on LI. You might post up and help signal and do some joy riding before committing to something first. OR, just wing it and make it work.
I might do that, good tip.

At this point I think I have a good mental of image. Slow, rough ride, loud, poor handling and braking, and somewhat unreliable. Like an old Jeep Wrangler, but shittier, and yet so much cooler.

This is going to be my second truck. I have a Xterra that I plan on keeping for now as a daily, may sell it for a car now? The Defender is going to be my summer/beach/surf/cruising truck.
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:11 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
OP, there is a '95 Defender 90 ST in red, 149k miles, listed on eBay. Auction ends in 6hrs and bid is currently less than 40k. It's over the $30k you want and bid will prob go higher, but I don't think I've seen lower priced NAS recently. G' luck.
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:32 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
OP, there is a '95 Defender 90 ST in red, 149k miles, listed on eBay. Auction ends in 6hrs and bid is currently less than 40k. It's over the $30k you want and bid will prob go higher, but I don't think I've seen lower priced NAS recently. G' luck.
Thanks bud. Unfortunately it is out of my reach. I set $35k as my limit on it, and got outbid. Between our new house and a wedding in the works, I just don't have that much cash lying around for a toy. Shame you can't finance these things because of their age.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
easy decision, dont get married
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:17 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Re. financing, you'd be surprised. There are banks and CUs that finance older/classic cars. Google.
My local credit union finances CPI (cars of particular interest) @1.89%. I believe lightstream and penfed also finance cars >10yo.
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:20 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/5535317945.html

NAS in budget, I'm sure it is the lime green accents are the reason why it has not sold (no joke).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, nas