Any news on the one in VA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
We spoke last night, I sent him a pic of what the rear diff should look like. He couldn't be didn't see the piece on it. Was calling the dealer on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Any news on the one in VA?
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:31 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, if you are really committed to it, the locking diff *can* be added after the fact. There have been threads about it over on Disco3 and LRR.

You need a T4 or Faultmate or other rover-specific computer (or access to one), some new wiring harnesses, the locker ECU, and the locker itself.

All LR3s had the correct connectors in the main chassis harness to plug it in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
FWIW I've seen a couple LR3's that have come in with rear diff faults caused by the diff being hit hard on something. Basically the diff will not calibrate the clutches if it has been hit hard. Are there no aftermarket lockers available?
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:42 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
FWIW I've seen a couple LR3's that have come in with rear diff faults caused by the diff being hit hard on something. Basically the diff will not calibrate the clutches if it has been hit hard. Are there no aftermarket lockers available?
No aftermarket for 2 main reasons... a lack of perceived demand, and the computers get VERY angry if the wheels are not doing *exactly* what they should be doing. So if you have an external traction aid in the mix, the terrain response system really has a a hissy fit and you actually make things worse.

The built-in ABS controlled traction control really is very good... the rear locker is just that last added bit of insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
We spoke last night, I sent him a pic of what the rear diff should look like. He couldn't be didn't see the piece on it. Was calling the dealer on Monday.
Attached is the VIN. Perhaps you can have someone decode it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4126325821.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	94705  
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
According to this, arb released front and rear lockers for the lr3 last fall.
http://expeditionportal.com/arb-rele...4-lr3-and-lr4/

Also, lucky 8 has them listed on their website as rd217 & rd 218. The 1050 ea is piles cheaper than remanufactured LR rear that runs $1700 plus all the bits to make it work.
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Search.aspx?CategoryID=1080

Would like to hear from someone who has actually installed them. I would think the factory air compressor should be plenty to run them.
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:48 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
According to this, arb released front and rear lockers for the lr3 last fall.
http://expeditionportal.com/arb-rele...4-lr3-and-lr4/

Also, lucky 8 has them listed on their website as rd217 & rd 218. The 1050 ea is piles cheaper than remanufactured LR rear that runs $1700 plus all the bits to make it work.
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Search.aspx?CategoryID=1080

Would like to hear from someone who has actually installed them. I would think the factory air compressor should be plenty to run them.
Wow... first I had heard of that.

I am thinking about how to use the on board air compressor for the lockers. The air tank is the only place you can reliably get pressurized air as the EAS computer will be constantly opening and closing valves from the tank to the gallery to the different springs.

I just don't know where you could tap in to the air tank. Time to google it I suppose. I ended up with a second air compressor under the hood in the aux battery box.

Old May 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post

I just don't know where you could tap in to the air tank. Time to google it I suppose. I ended up with a second air compressor under the hood in the aux battery box.
You could drill a hole anywhere in it, its very thin metal.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2014 03:58 PM ------

Sounds like buying an aftermarket locker would be a good option so you aren't limiting yourself to one with the HD package.
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Attached is the VIN. Perhaps you can have someone decode it today.
open diff and mini spare on that one too.
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Very cool of you to do this for him.

You likely have the impression that the HD package is extremely rare because most used car dealers, and non-original private owners are unfamiliar with the option, and even less of them- how to identify it. Because of this, you'll rarely find it advertised.

Jafir's approach is by far the most reliable, but this is the second best way: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44135 I regret linking-in a Dweb thread, but the information is actually good (synopsis- look for the actuator in the rear passenger side wheel well; not the full-size spare, which was available as an ala carte' option outside of the HD-package, and therefore not a dead give away).

When I searched for my LR3, I too, wanted the HD-package so that a) I was never in a situation where I regretted not having it, and b) the truck was better equipped for off road purposes, once I decided to retire it from daily use. There doesn't seem to be any premium commanded for it, so you literally have nothing to lose by waiting for one. Why pay 10% of the LR3's value for aftermarket lockers when you can have the OEM design for free?

Good luck...
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Ha! Thanks for the info. That seller was a lying fool.
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Ha! Thanks for the info. That seller was a lying fool.
Yeah, I've talked to a lot of used car dealers or individuals on the phone about this, and they always say, "It's got all of the options" and then I say, "What about the HD option?" and without fail they always say, "It has ALL of the options!" And they are almost always wrong.

That's one of the reasons I found microcat....

I think I've only looked up one VIN that actually had it.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Jafir's approach is by far the most reliable, but this is the second best way: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44135 I regret linking-in a Dweb thread, but the information is actually good (synopsis- look for the actuator in the rear passenger side wheel well; not the full-size spare, which was available as an ala carte' option outside of the HD-package, and therefore not a dead give away).
Ross-
Love you man, but this is one of those comments that perpetuates, well, dumbassery on here. Dweb has its place, I get that many of you don't like it there for whatever reason-but the truth is there is more tech there in the archives than resides here. Change your oil cooler lines, spontaneous crossmember corrosion and does this glavanization go well with my boosts aside (none of which is really tech), comparatively Dweb is a great resource-both sites have their place and at the end of all this...we're talking about a D3...not a Defender.
r-
Ray
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Ross-
Love you man, but this is one of those comments that perpetuates, well, dumbassery on here. Dweb has its place, I get that many of you don't like it there for whatever reason-but the truth is there is more tech there in the archives than resides here. Change your oil cooler lines, spontaneous crossmember corrosion and does this glavanization go well with my boosts aside (none of which is really tech), comparatively Dweb is a great resource-both sites have their place and at the end of all this...we're talking about a D3...not a Defender.
r-
Ray

Well said.
Massive source of tech @ dweb.
And for the newcomers, Axel has been around a long time.
And he has never sold out the board to corporate(sorry cvc-lol)

So don't regret a dweb link; be proud and stand behind it.
Jafir is on there all the time; he must have his big boy pants on!

Besides, where else can you get seventyfive/mike widener tech support besides dweb??

rant/off

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Ross-
r-
Ray

Ray, I had no idea you had a Dweb nerve, but I agree with everything you just said.

One thing that will prevent this thread from quickly turning off-topic is to keep it on topic.

Buying your beer on Thursday...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
ac, lr3