WTB: Land Rover Series II or III - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Keithearth
Keith
none

If it had the window seals and such I would really consider, stinks its so far too. I'm pretty sure it's going to be impossible to find something within like a 300 mile radius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Window seals? Which ones are missing? They are pretty cheap.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Redoing window seals on a 2A is possibly one of the most zen things you can do. Passing on a truck for such reasons shows you aren't ready by far.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
All of them will require alot of work.
Not all of them.

I was going to recommend Dylan's 109 as well.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Keithearth
Keith
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Redoing window seals on a 2A is possibly one of the most zen things you can do. Passing on a truck for such reasons shows you aren't ready by far.
I'm not sure what's required to replace them, also it needs wiring done. I'm basis looking for something mechanic stout and the only issue being cosmetics. Which my budget might not allow, hence stated that from the start.

I have found one really clean one for 3800$ but it runs a bit rough and hasn't been looked at to see the cause.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithearth View Post

I'm not sure what's required to replace them, also it needs wiring done. I'm basis looking for something mechanic stout and the only issue being cosmetics. Which my budget might not allow, hence stated that from the start.

I have found one really clean one for 3800$ but it runs a bit rough and hasn't been looked at to see the cause.
Post the info on that truck or PM me if you don't feel comfortable.

I've rewired my IIA and it's not complicated.

These truck will work with a handful of wires.

Running rought is not bad. At least it starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:36 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think that finding one that's sorted out mechanically is going to cost you more than you're willing to pay. Thing is, and I think most would agree, that an early Rover is something that requires almost constant tinkering and upkeep. If you aren't the wrenching type you'll be at the mercy of those who are. This can lead to frustration and unhappiness. I mean yeah they're cool trucks and all but that comes at a price.
Other things to consider are your skills at seeking out the parts that are rare and obsolete that you will inevitably need to source.

1968 2A 88

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Alright...now Bill is getting into his "unobtainium" mode!!

Look mate...it is actually really simple - for your budget you are going to have a great deal of trouble finding a mechanically sorted Series truck, it is that simple. When I think of sorted I think of everything from electric, to brakes to engine to clutch and tranny...these things command a premium in that condition...just a fact. Look at eBay do your research and you will see that $8K + will get you a nice one that you only need to TINKER with...trust me, I am a tinkerer....I hold absolutely no aspirations real or otherwise that I am 1/2 as mechanically sound as some of these wankers on here....so, to meet your goal...save up another $2-3K and hold your breath.

You did the right thing by posting here first, as there are some great guys on here that can help - some azzhats too but hey...
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
- some azzhats too but hey...
Guilty

1968 2A 88

Old April 11th, 2013, 11:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

Guilty
Ha! Series people are great, even (especially) grumpy Bill. I like to think of myself as one although my SII sits in the back of my garage on its galvanized frame and goes no where. Yes, you will need to tinker constantly. On the plus side, everything is dead easy to fix. I put the wiring harness in mine in an evening. It is that simple. Back then, the whole harness was like $200 now maybe $300 brand new with proper color coded wires. The whole wiring diagram fits on a page easily. I built my series from parts in what amounted to be two weeks (to be fair it was about $20k worth of new parts, but I digress).

Window seals in sliding windows are basically irrelevant to me so I never bothered to do them, but I can't image it is hard. The non-sliding window seals are all the same and easy to DIY because they are two piece.

If the frame is good (better if galvanized) and the bulkhead is good, the whole truck can be built/fixed/sorted very easily with minimal tools and skills. The parts are generally not too expensive and there are a lot of them new and used and not many on a truck. You will also find series folks are pretty generous in selling most stuff for reasonably money (I went so far to give a lot away). That is the joy of a series truck.

In a lot of ways I miss that with defenders where the engine and wiring is complicated and certain parts are crazy money (dash parts which is a piece of metal on a SII/SIIa) and a lot of things are complicated and harder (but still relatively easy) to fix.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
series