WTB - L322 Range Rover (try not to laugh!) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
WTB - L322 Range Rover (try not to laugh!)

About three years ago I bought a 1-owner 2004 L322 Range from a guy on the board here.
It was easily the most comfortable truck/SUV I've ever driven.
Of course it turned into a festival of pain with EAS issues, multiple coolant leaks etc. and I ended up spending about $4,000 keeping it on the road in the course of the three years I owned it. However, I was able to nurse 40,000 miles out of it and I loved the way it rode. I got away lucky because I bought it right, and the former owner had meticulously kept up with factory repairs, but even then it was a needy beast.

I'm ready to try another experiment with these trucks. So, I believe the formula for buying these is you absolutely MUST buy them cheaply and be ready to spend about $2,000/annually in unforeseen repairs. The BMW coolant system absolutely sucks, they run hot and eat gaskets. It doesn't matter if these parts have been replaced either, they still fail all the time. The air suspension is awesome when it works but after 8-10 years it becomes a ridiculous effort to keep it working and it should be scrapped for springs.

I am contemplating getting another one, but it has to be in the $4,000-$6,000 price range. I might pay more for a really nice one. 2004-2005 BMW engine models are fine, but the later 2006-2008 Jaguar engine ones I hear are better.
Mileage under 100,000 is preferred. I don't care if the air struts are failed as I'd probably be swapping to springs anyway.

Many of you work for dealers and know people trading these older Range Rovers in or have them yourself and refuse to accept that a dealer is going to give you $3,000-$4,000 for a truck that originally went for $80,000. I got $3,500 as a trade in last year on mine with 140,000 miles on it.

Color isn't that important, but I really only want to consider those examples that have the Luxury Package (for the premium leather seats). I definitely don't want pimped out versions with 22" wheels. Location within New England would be nice, but up and down the east coast is fine too. Middle States and West Coast would cost about $2,000 to ship to Boston it so it's hardly worth talking about unless the price is seriously discounted.

I'm trying to be as clear as possible with what I'm willing to pay so I don't waste anyone's time.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:47 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Spending more on a 2006+ would be a much better investment of money and time. They really don't break. The 2003-2005's are a dumpster fire. As you discovered.
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Spending more on a 2006+ would be a much better investment of money and time. They really don't break. The 2003-2005's are a dumpster fire. As you discovered.

Very true. Just looking for spare truck that's comfortable to drive into the city, but handles a 'Noreaster and can also double as a beach truck now that the Defender has moved to Utah with Gliderking. I'll probably put 15k on it annually. Still regardless of light-duty/heavy duty and how many miles I put on it, the thing is still going to break. That's what they do.
You're right, the BMW years were complete dumpster fires. Still, it's not like the BMW 4.4 is a grenade, it's just the systems. Yes, I'd spend more on a 2006-2008 and probably be better off.
I do have the software and OBD cable for the 2004-2005 which would be the only plus side to having that year.

The other complete PITA is the 19" wheels! I'd love to find some burly 18" steelies since I doubt I'd be breaking 80mph once that thing has springs instead of EAS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Another thing to consider, which keeps me at bay:
A good Rover buddy had one, perfect maintenance, and tranny goes out at 100k- to the tune of $12k!! Dealer comps him one for being loyal long term customer and he sold immediately after the fix... It's not just the things we know to deal with, but the surprises are crazy dollars!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Another thing to consider, which keeps me at bay:
A good Rover buddy had one, perfect maintenance, and tranny goes out at 100k- to the tune of $12k!! Dealer comps him one for being loyal long term customer and he sold immediately after the fix... It's not just the things we know to deal with, but the surprises are crazy dollars!!

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about that Dale. It starts to shutter like you were driving on a cordueroy road. That's the beginning of the end. If it shutters or vibrates while under acceleration, it's going.
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I always thought they are pretty cool. Still have the promotional DVD they sent out in 2002 laying around somewhere. But I wouldn't want the V8, dealing with the maintenance, and it would have to be a stick shift with cloth seats, which of course isn't possible.
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:54 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Yeah, thanks for reminding me about that Dale. It starts to shutter like you were driving on a cordueroy road. That's the beginning of the end. If it shutters or vibrates while under acceleration, it's going.
Please don't shoot the messenger... Even though it typically ends the bad news ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
I have one I'm going to be selling soon in that price range. Or trade for a 1970's model 4x4 truck if you have one. I'm in TN though.

2005 L322, 128k miles, new tires (cooper zeon), air compressor, brakes, rotors, fluids, timing chain tensioner. PM me if you're interested.
'95 RRC LWB Aspen Silver Ed. (sold)
'95 RRC LWB 25th anniv ed (RIP)
'95 RRC LWB "Rusty" (sold)

Quote:
All my life I have big love for a defender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
range rover