WTB: hardtop, 97 speaker enclosures, steering wheel, etc. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 10th, 2010, 05:39 AM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

WTB: hardtop, 97 speaker enclosures, steering wheel, etc.

Here goes a list... some tricky NLA, and some easy:
  1. Driver side seat frame and rail. Beat up upholstry or no upholstry is fine as it will be retrimmed/foamed. Good condition frame is preferred.
  2. Steering wheel. Leather or normal is fine, so long as it will fit my 97 ST. I think the original steering wheel is NLA. A new leather one that fits would be great and might match the exmoor xs seats nicely. I see tons of them from UK, but just don't think they'll fit. If you have one that fits for sure, I will pay very fairly for it. The thought of getting the wrong one that is unreturnable from ebay.co.uk is more than I can bear. I hear of a lot of people doing this, but can't figure out how they get the right splines.
  3. 97 rear speaker enclosures. Again, the closer to new the better. I know these are worth some money. My right one has a crack. On a kind of related note, does anyone know how to remove these? I am weak with the wrench, but am proud to say that I replaced a piston connecting rod on a friend's grand cherokee a few months ago fairly easily, but can't seem to get these things out to try to fix the crack and am scared to pull on them and make a hard to find part even more broken than it already is. How difficult could this be? Maybe I;m missing something really simple.
  4. Vinyl trim for the top of the seat boxes. I may have posted this already with no luck... sorry about the dublicate.
  5. New Front seat belts assemblies.
  6. Hardtop. I know that there is a new old stock one out there somewhere and I want it. If not, the closer to new and perfect the better. I don't know how to fix fiberglass and don't want to mess with trying or sending it away for repain. Will pay according to condition.
Not much to trade. Rear seat belts for forward facing bench, although one belt is frayed to the point of being dangerous and one female adapter is missing the black plastic surround. Also have a very good OEM brush bar. Used front seat foams and covers. Mostly easy to get and nearly worthless stuff and I am after hard to get stuff, so you probably will want to sell to me and not trade.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by knab View Post
Hardtop. I know that there is a new old stock one out there somewhere and I want it. If not, the closer to new and perfect the better. I don't know how to fix fiberglass and don't want to mess with trying or sending it away for repain. Will pay according to condition.
Don't do it. I thought (and did) the same thing when I first got my ST. The fibreglass hardtop sucks. It leaks worse and is noisier than a ST. Every spring when I'd take mine off, a new piece would break. Save your money and apply it towards a Badger II GK. It seals better and is warmer in the winter. It's the only top your ST will ever need. You can take a look at mine if you'd like.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Thanks for the thoughts on the hardtop. I hear that are a HUGE PITA, but I am concerned with the cold. I have a 2 year old and need to have a safe and warm AWD car for the winter for her to ride in in CO. I am really excited to take the D90 out in the snow for the first time, but am concerned that it will be too cold for her. I have a brand new rovers north softtop that fits really nicely, although I wish it would have been a badger from everything I read (it came with the truck). The RN top seems really nice, but just going off of everyone else's opinions here. I'd actually sell that top if anyone wants it for a very good price... it is brand new and has been on the truck one single time. If the Defender isn't warm enough in the winter with the softtop, then I have to buy another SUV, as I just sold my Range Rover. My thinking was that a hardtop would be cheaper than an entire new SUV for warm/safe winter driving for a toddler... I could live with it a little chilly in there... she can't. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts on the hardtop. I hear that are a HUGE PITA, but I am concerned with the cold. I have a 2 year old
Eh, it'll be no warmer than a Badger softtop. That said, it IS a Rover with a weak heater... However, you live down in the flatlands of Denver, so it'll be warmer down there. The front seats in mine are usually just fine (as they're near the vents), but the back seat can be a bit cold (the dogs don't mind). Remove the goofy directional vents (two screws) on both driver and passenger sides as they just constrict airflow. That'll help. Other than that, there's always auxiliary heaters for the back or put on an extra layer.

When I had the hardtop, one time we were driving in a blizzard on the freeway and I had snow falling inside the cab. The seal between the top and the windscreen wasn't so good...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Do kids still have to be in the back even if there are no airbags in these Defenders?

I'd say just put the toddler in the front seat, buy a full drop curtain from Badger, and be done with it - they're not that expensive, either. If the wife ever comes along when it's cold out, she can sit in the back; she'll be chilly but at least the toddler won't be.

My gf was actually impressed with the heater in the truck, although you wouldn't know it from this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12. Rain on the way back - Caitlin ready to kill me - resized.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	30030  
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would not waste my money on a factory fiber top, from what I have seen they are just not worth it.

Possible options

1. If she will be in the front seat you could get a drop curtain to retain the heat in the front.

2. If you need to put her in the back you might consider an aux heater.

3. Buy some warm gloves, hat and stuff for the kid

4. rover racks offers a new hardtop made from fiberglass, I have not see one in person but my understanding is that they are strong and will hold up to taking them off and on. Might be able to insulate it some since it is stronger?

5. You could trade your ST 90 for a SW 90

6. You could swap a factoy alum hardtop onto your 90, it would be some major work but with selling the cage you might be able to do it for almost no $$ out of your pocket. I have some of the parts here
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

I agree that the factory fiberglass hardtops are not perfect, but they do have some advantages:
  • If installed/sealed properly they do not leak (drafts or water).
  • In snowy climates the hardtop can support a heavier load of snow on the roof than a softtop.
  • The hardtop is more secure (from theft) for the contents of your truck.
  • Members on this forum have applied sound/heat insulation to the inside of the factory hardtop, though I haven't read a report as to how effective that was...
  • When on narrow trails hardtops don't snag or rip on low branches or bushes.
  • The hardtop does not have the funny pressure issues that softtops sometimes have at hwy speeds.
  • When the door seals wear out, they are are easily replaced rubber gaskets.

In my opinion, the hardtop does retain heat better than the soft top in winter. Although not by much. In an ideal world it would be nice to have both a hardtop and softtop to choose from in the garage.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts on the hardtop. I hear that are a HUGE PITA, but I am concerned with the cold. I have a 2 year old and need to have a safe and warm AWD car for the winter for her to ride in in CO. I am really excited to take the D90 out in the snow for the first time, but am concerned that it will be too cold for her. I have a brand new rovers north softtop that fits really nicely, although I wish it would have been a badger from everything I read (it came with the truck). The RN top seems really nice, but just going off of everyone else's opinions here. I'd actually sell that top if anyone wants it for a very good price... it is brand new and has been on the truck one single time. If the Defender isn't warm enough in the winter with the softtop, then I have to buy another SUV, as I just sold my Range Rover. My thinking was that a hardtop would be cheaper than an entire new SUV for warm/safe winter driving for a toddler... I could live with it a little chilly in there... she can't. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.
Save yourself the hassle on the hard top. Especially with how warm it can stay here for most of the winter. There is a rear heater option I had in previous 95 ST that helped, couldn't tell you anymore about it than that. Even in my current truck it warms up nicely. Ya'll are a bunch of cry babies about the heaters or cna't afford decent winter clothes I think you'll be surprised with how warm the truck can get inside. I have to warm up the Disco before we head out some winter mornings too so just give it a minute to heat up on those super cold days.

As a parent of a toddler I'd invest in a "snuzzler" for the car seat. I bought one at the baby store and it's like a giant sleeping bag- seat straps come through openings in the back, full zip around the feet. Since they sit on it too it can't be kicked off like a blanket. It's thin enough on the underside it doesn't compromise the integrity of the seat/straps. And add a hat. Kiddo will be nice and toasty. I use this set up with a wind shield on my long runs with my kiddo and she's happy as can be on some blistery cold days. Not to mention the $60 for the "snuzzler" and $20 for The North Face hat is cheaper than the hard top you will be irritated with.

As to front vs rear I think the seat is easier to deal with in the rear and it's easier to heave them over the rear and stand up there and buckle them in from behind than deal with the front seat. Plus you can leave the seat installed and my thought is the less I have to deal with installing that seat the happier I tend to be.

As for your other needs: Les at RN helped me source new seat box trim for my 95, don't know about the 97. George or Stephen might be able to help with your seat belts. IIRC Dogbite (Paul in Boulder) might have some front seat frames in charred condition that would work for what you want. Might be easier to get those recovered and not have to deal with shipping. Don't know if he's selling those or not so don't hold me accountable on that one.

Hope that helps,
Alex
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

PM sent
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

I'm going against the tide here. I just bought a hardtop in the spring and absolutely love it I took my time and installed in nicely and it is watertight. People who are saying they leak just didn't take the time to do it right with weatherstripping and cord weatherstripping. I was warned when I bought it that it is not a hardtop like a jeep hardtop that is easily removable etc. I put it on with the idea that it would be a permanent fixture. Plus I would not want to spend 5-10 hours putting this damn thing back on again! Overall I love it!
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieskins View Post
I'm going against the tide here. I just bought a hardtop in the spring and absolutely love it I took my time and installed in nicely and it is watertight. People who are saying they leak just didn't take the time to do it right with weatherstripping and cord weatherstripping. I was warned when I bought it that it is not a hardtop like a jeep hardtop that is easily removable etc. I put it on with the idea that it would be a permanent fixture. Plus I would not want to spend 5-10 hours putting this damn thing back on again! Overall I love it!
Don't you miss the feeling of wind blowing through your mullet though, Wade? STs (for me at least) should be nearly naked whenever weather or temperature permits.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I just bought my daughter a Snuggie :-)

I am, however looking into a heater windshield...
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Thank all for the comments on the hardtop. I am a little undecided. I looked at the install instructions in the service manual and it didn't look like a lot of fun. I suppose it is really a matter of whether or not a get a tighter seal than I do with the softtop. Hard to tell until I buy one, as I hear mixed reviews. With a 15 year old truck and a 15 year old top, it isn't terribly surprising that they don't all fit perfectly anymore.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
pm sent...
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Found a local hardtop that I will decide on this week. Still looking for the rest. Hoping for the seat and steering wheel! Figured the rest were longshots...
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
I just bought my daughter a Snuggie :-)

I am, however looking into a heater windshield...
I'm jealous of her's ona regular basis, and I too want a heated wind shield. Only so I don't have to scrape.

Quote:
Thank all for the comments on the hardtop. I am a little undecided. I looked at the install instructions in the service manual and it didn't look like a lot of fun. I suppose it is really a matter of whether or not a get a tighter seal than I do with the softtop. Hard to tell until I buy one, as I hear mixed reviews. With a 15 year old truck and a 15 year old top, it isn't terribly surprising that they don't all fit perfectly anymore.
I think you can seal them well, they won't seal like a SW, but they can be sealed. Home Depot sells wide insualtion for RV's that works well and is easy to deal with. Silicone on the bolts on the windscreen helps too and isn't bad to remove. If you take the 5-10 hours to install the top you can get it sealed up. But I do wonder how much warmer uninsulated fiberglass really is anyway. I don't think the RN top is that bad. A few areas around the door can be drafty but some pipe insulation can fill that and take care of that.

Just make sure the top you are looking at has all the square washers. From what I've found all the other harware can be sourced but those. Let me know if you need any help installing the top- love to watch someone else suffer and I can tell you all the thinkg I did wrong the first few years installing mine.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

I got a steering wheel and boss for my Series III from John Craddock UK. I gave them the year/model and they sent the correct adaptor. The wheel I bought was a Mountney. The leather felt nice, and it looked the business, but it wasn't the strongest and if you really wrenched on it the wrong way it flexed. Of course, that truck did not have power steering so there was a level of wrestling the steering wheel that you'd never experience in a NAS D90.

Here is a picture of the Mountney wheel in my Series III

I'd get one made by Moto Lita if I did it over again. Better quality.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Woody, your 94 looks unreal. Hoping to find another D90 on the low end of the price scale to mod (black ST again). I plan on "borrowing" your ideas and that truck will end up looking a lot like yours. That thing just is awesome.

I really like the Mountney wheels, but need an original land rover part for this truck. This truck is pretty much my daily driver to the office. The plan was to modify, but I just enjoy driving it around town too much, so I don't want to veer from OEM much or do many offroad mods that make city driving less practicle. Someone, please, sell me one! I've searched everywhere and hear of all of these people with them, but can't find one that anyone will ship to the US with 36 splines to save my life.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Contact Britcar. They will ship. With that said I have a split in my wheel at the bottom seam. Easy way to fix?
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
With that said I have a split in my wheel at the bottom seam. Easy way to fix?
You could have it wrapped in leather to make it look like one of the Defender XS steering wheels. They are pretty much a NAS style wheel with a leater wrap so it would look pretty much stock.

There is a pic of one in Tom's build thread
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=18302&page=2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
97, hardtop, wheel