WTB: Exmoor Lock and Fold Seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 9th, 2014, 11:21 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

WTB: Exmoor Lock and Fold Seats

Looking for Exmoor Lock and Fold Seats for both left and right side.Thought I'd see if anyone had some they weren't using before I spent top dollar at Rovers North
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottehrer View Post
Looking for Exmoor Lock and Fold Seats for both left and right side.Thought I'd see if anyone had some they weren't using before I spent top dollar at Rovers North
Ask SafariHP or Lucky8 for their prices - shop around.
Old August 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

smob, Will do. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Now that the contract is with RN, you wont find a significantly better price on our side of the pond.

Unless you appreciate the service from RN which I do on select items or there has been a big shift in pricing, order from John Craddocks in the UK. Reasonable shipping and the customs tax shouldnt be more than $55-65.
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:53 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

SMAC, it looks like once you add in the VAT and shipping your looking at the same price and John Craddocks as from Rovers North. Do any of these places ever have sales on these items?
Old August 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottehrer View Post
SMAC, it looks like once you add in the VAT and shipping your looking at the same price and John Craddocks as from Rovers North. Do any of these places ever have sales on these items?
Don't forget the customs fee as well.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Denim Twill L/F, per each:

$850 US at Craddocks

$1132 US at RN on a 5.8% sale currently

No VAT charged to US shipments

Shipping will surprisingly be similar from RN or JC. Or it has been for my quotes and purchases.

Approximately $25-40 per seat for duty

You end up saving around $150-200 per seat.

Im not bashing RN. They have amazing service but on something like this, Id buy used/forum member or from Craddocks. Just wanted to throw that out there. Good luck.
Old August 9th, 2014, 04:49 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Great research - yeah, Stephen at SafariHP had mine dropped in from the UK in 5 days and the shipping price was actually much less than I expected.
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:48 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Didn't realize the VAT didn't apply. Really appreciate the advice. That's what I will do.
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
before spending the money, have you sat in one ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:49 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

no I haven't. They are for my kids. My SW is currently configured with 4 jump seats in the back which will be ideal configuration long term once my kids are older but for now I need something which is safe for them to sit in.
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:54 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

If it's the exmoor lock and folds that hey put in the LRUK trucks.. They really are pretty bloody useless... Nice seats but completely impractical..once in their position you can't get in or out of them..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	100458  
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Unless you are 6 and 3 year old boys, who will be sitting in them. Listen, I hear you, and I much prefer the jump seats from a practical and aesthetic standpoint, but I purchased my D90 with the intention of enjoying it with my boys. If anyone has some other recommendations for other rear child-safe options, I'd love to hear them, but this is the only practical solution I have found to date.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:31 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Kevin, folks here are direct, but in person are genuine. They're just trying to help.

The only two options are:

1. Install Genuine LR folding/forward facing seats. It requires cutting the fender wells to make room for the install, but gives you enough room between the seats for a body to move through. Much more involved and body cutting involved. Parts are the same cost, but add in the new fender inserts and labor and youre looking at another $1k

2. Probably the safest bet, per smarter folks than I, is to retrofit the ST bench seat to face rearwards right behind the front seats.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:42 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

From a safety standpoint these do provide the best back and neck support in the case of an accident..however the way they are locked into the floor is not inline with that level of safety.. It is a pretty poor design and would be very surprised if they meet any real safety regulations.. And they are a pain to go from the stowed position to installed and even more of a pain to go the other way..in my opinion it may be best to install them permanent if that's an option..or the original rear forward facing tumble seat that came in the d-90's may be another option..and stows nicely too.. But hey..I'm just talking from someone who has actually seen and operated them... Let him find out for himself..I'm done, the voice of experience is obviously not wanted.. Good luck.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:44 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

I obviously need to work on my writing tone on this forum, but I assure you that I greatly appreciate the helpful and direct suggestions! If my posts are being received otherwise, I apologize.

As for option 1, I'm already upset that I would have to punch a bunch of new holes in the D90, so the less invasive the better.

As for option 2, is it safe to have children sit backwards? I thought that was outlawed. The only individuals who are going to be sitting in the back are my kids, who have no problem crawling in, under or around anything (honestly I think they prefer it as that's what they have to do to get in my Bronco). As soon as they are old enough the lock and folds will come out and the jump seats will go back in.

------ Follow up post added August 9th, 2014 06:48 PM ------

Rover Shop, was typing my response as yours was posted. Since ingress and egress are not an issue for my kids would you recommend that I install a forward facing bench instead?
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
From a safety standpoint these do provide the best back and neck support in the case of an accident..however the way they are locked into the floor is not inline with that level of safety.. It is a pretty poor design and would be very surprised if they meet any real safety regulations.. And they are a pain to go from the stowed position to installed and even more of a pain to go the other way..in my opinion it may be best to install them permanent if that's an option..or the original rear forward facing tumble seat that came in the d-90's may be another option..and stows nicely too.. But hey..I'm just talking from someone who has actually seen and operated them... Let him find out for himself..I'm done, the voice of experience is obviously not wanted.. Good luck.
As a second person who has seen, operated and even installed the Exmoor foldy/locky seat, you can find a better option. I really did not like the thing.
There is a company called Little Passengers who would be happy to build a rear seat to your spec.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:53 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Crown14, thanks for the tip, will definitely check them out first!
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Rearward facing seats were outlawed due to the more significant forces subjected in a frontal collision as opposed to a rear impact.. Think 2 cars travelling at 50 mph colliding head on has a theoretical impact speed of 100mph as opposed to someone running into you from behind is usually a lower impact speed.. Whiplash and broken necks was the main concerns.. The factory land rover seats the belts are secured to the body of the vehicle.. On the exmoors they are in the seat itself... Not ideal..sideways facing seats were also deemed unsafe for the lack of protection provided in the event of an accident.. Rearward passengers have zero protection to stop upper body motion..this is why they went to forward facing lock and folds in the disco2 and the headrest comes out of the ceiling for neck support in the event of an impact..critical in reducing whiplash and spinal injuries... I looked into this a lot a while ago as I had you children and I suffered a broken neck myself many years ago...

------ Follow up post added August 9th, 2014 08:59 PM ------

Forward facing bench in my opinion is a better option but unfortunately don't provide adequate neck protection..

------ Follow up post added August 9th, 2014 09:06 PM ------

If your kids are the only ones to be using them then getting in and out won't be an issue with the exmoors..I just think the lock and fold setup is very cumbersome and in my opinion not very secure.. However saying that I think they are the best level of protection.. But as mentioned, there are plenty of other seats that require way less holes to install and wayyy cheaper...I could see very easily finding seats that bolt in semi-permanentlywith just 4 bolts each and way more secure...also if the seat belts are installed other than to the seats there is less likelihood of them becoming an ejector seat in an accident..stresses of restraining the body is through the belt into the chassis of the vehicle.. Making the seat merely a seat and not a restraining device..
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:15 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

The reason why I liked the lock and fold was I thought they provided the best safety but sounds like that may not be the case. I liked the idea that they could be folded up if needed but for obvious reasons that was a "plus" but didn't factor much into my analysis. I'm going to reach out little passengers and see if they can build a custom front facing bench which is higher (with headrest) and has better neck support..

Thanks everybody for the much welcomed advice and suggestions!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
exmoor, seats