WTB: Defender 90 Soft Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
Simon11
Simon
None

WTB: Defender 90 Soft Top

Hi all - New to the community here and apologize if there are too many questions or if Iím in the wrong thread. I'll start by saying that for the past 6mo I have been looking to actually buy a Mercedes W463 Cabrio but now have realized how difficult and expensive that process is. I love the idea of having a soft-top 4x4 so have recently decided to look at a Defender 90. The real reason for change is that I am potentially leaving NYC soon and moving to Puerto Rico so due to import duties on newer vehicles I'm hoping to find a Defender 90 soft-top as a daily driver there. I know a lot about the Mercedes but I am just starting to venture into Land Rover territory. Sorry if these are all newbie questions but I was hoping you guys can help me out or even point me to some older threads. Is there much difference in drive between the 80's models and 90's NAS vehicles? The only requirement I have is for an auto trans and like that I can get a '97 in auto. However I have seen older vehicles converted, anyone have experience with that? Also is there anyway to get a folding soft top or is unzipping the only way to go? Has anyone here bought a custom Defender from LandRoverUK / East Coast Defender or any other custom specialty shop that you can recommend? I would like a significant number of upgrades and thought that might be the easier route. Also anything I should look for specifically in an older vehicle other than rust or are there any known problems to keep an eye out for? Finally I wanted to ask but not question the quality of a Defender. I see 25+ year models for sale with 100k+ miles. Is the quality truly unparalleled as well as the safety of these vehicles? Thanks in advance for any help and Iím keeping an eye on this section for potential vehicle purchases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Lol. First of all, welcome! Next, just so you know, comparing a d90 to a Range Rover is basically comparing a car to a tractor. If you wanted a merc, and they are great cars, a d90 isn't the next logical step. Third, careful... D90s are highly addictive

Btw search around this forum a bit. There is a ton of good info and people here.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Not sure what you mean by a big difference between an 80's and a 90's Defender, but the biggest difference is in the engine, especially if you are considering a '97.

As you already know, a '97 NAS D90 will have an automatic transmission and an EFI engine, so right there is 2 major differences, otherwise they are the same truck.

If you are considering an ECR (East Coast Rover) D90, then get ready to spend a lot of money. What you'll have though is a nice sorted out vehicle, with practically nothing further needed except for some additional upgrades and accessories you might want to add in order to further customize your rig.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Simon11
Simon
None

Thanks for the info guys. I realize the Defender is not a substitute for the W463, for the money I thought I could go further with the Defender. As for model years was just curious if the drive, look or feel was much different (besides engine) from Defender's in the 80's through the '97 but seems they are quite the same and all can be upgraded with modern exteriors. Anyone know of or have luck swapping out a manual trans for an auto? Have seen conversion kits online but wasn't sure if it was a good idea.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Defenders are basically big-boy erector sets - you can do just about anything with or to one. An auto conversion from ashcroft transmissions would be just fine. Where do you live in NYC? A bunch of us live here downtown.

www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Simon11
Simon
None

I live in Financial. Let me know if you guys ever get together for any events. Would be curious to swing by and ask a few questions and get to see the cars. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, soft top, top