Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
WTB Defender 110

I am looking for a 110, that could used as a daily driver if needed too. I want either the 300tdi, or TD5 motor, and LH. I prefer that the frame be galvanized. Also needs to have A/C, and good heater. I would like the vehicle to be refinished, ready to drive. I dont want to spend and arm and a leg(I would like to remain married).
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
How much is considered an arm, and how much is considered an arm and a leg?
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
I am looking for a 110, that could used as a daily driver if needed too. I want either the 300tdi, or TD5 motor, and LH. I prefer that the frame be galvanized. Also needs to have A/C, and good heater. I would like the vehicle to be refinished, ready to drive. I dont want to spend and arm and a leg(I would like to remain married).
Thanks in advance
You're looking at a minimum of 40K and perhaps a lot more...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis

Registry
I guess based on the open market an arm and a leg is way more than I want to spend. I have a budget of 35K or less.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:58 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
I guess based on the open market an arm and a leg is way more than I want to spend. I have a budget of 35K or less.
Then you might lower your requirements to RHD and without Galv Frame and/or AC, perhaps a 200TDI...
Then you'll be in the ball park.
LHD with 300TDI and AC on a galvanized frame for $35K... if you find 2 let me know, I'll take the second one if we have the extra cash...
Seeing a 110 on eBay that meets your price range, but is located off-shore and driving it home in USA are 2 very different scenarios that might not ever co-mingle with the same person.

A guy was passing through town and had a leaking spill over line on a white 300TDI 110 a few weeks ago. He called around and got my number. Put new viton lines on and he mentioned that he paid close to 65K for his 110 and thought it was a steal. Matched exactly what you are looking for. Also replaced a chafed radiator hose and put some washers under the idler pulley to end a bad squeak. Nice guy who was headed up north and passing through west of here, but traveled further east for the repairs...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

are you perhaps willing/able to buy a 20K 110 and do 10k worth of work to it to get you where you would want it to be? In other words a slight fixer upper? Does it matter if its NAS or ROW?
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis

Registry
It doesnt matter about row, or nas. I would be willing to look at a "slight" fixer upper.

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

NAS is somewhat out of the equation if you're looking for a 300TDi/TD5 on a galvy frame. The title alone on a NAS 110 will raise the asking price over your budget. Like it was said earlier, if you're open to RHD your budget is much easier to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:01 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
It is completely possible within your budget, even from a dealer. If you want it bad enough and are willing to do the leg work it could be found even cheaper. They are out there and not hard to find either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Land-...item3cce986e40
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
It is completely possible within your budget, even from a dealer. If you want it bad enough and are willing to do the leg work it could be found even cheaper. They are out there and not hard to find either.

Even then you're bringing in a non compliant engine. Sounds as though customs has been cracking down lately and I'm sure they'd be interested in studying this truck if it comes in. Nice 110 though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Jason:

Sure hope you have ensure your wife is experience rover addict as well.
Word of caution never buy sight unseen. Even if it means traveling to England.
Btw you looking for SW or 2dr 110?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Then you might lower your requirements to RHD and without Galv Frame and/or AC, perhaps a 200TDI...
Then you'll be in the ball park.
LHD with 300TDI and AC on a galvanized frame for $35K... if you find 2 let me know, I'll take the second one if we have the extra cash...
Seeing a 110 on eBay that meets your price range, but is located off-shore and driving it home in USA are 2 very different scenarios that might not ever co-mingle with the same person.
^^^^X2 what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone

Umm, yeah..... I'm going to have to go ahead and sorta disagree with you there - (Lumberg)

First of all, NEVER buy anything from MRM (mattwaxdog on eBay). He is the very definition of a "Gypo" in the UK. Ask around if my endorsement isn't enough. Second, importing a ROW 110 is an entirely different scenario than what he was proposing. Sure one could save as much as 50% off what the average price is here in the states, but that's not without reason. That's a different discussion altogether though, so moving on...

$35,000 will get you a very nice ROW 110 here in the states, just not with all the items you specified.
Somewhere on this forum there is a thread discussing what people thought the average premium was related to specific items (galvy frame, LHD, etc) and if you add up just the premiums for those items you mentioned, you end up with over $35,000 (not including the base price of whatever truck you're talking about). Just for the sake of discussion (and not debate), say $10-$15,000 for galvanized frame, $2,000 for air conditioning, between $6-$10,000 for LHD, maybe upwards of $10,000 for TD5 (usually that involves a more modern dash as well).

Save yourself the hassle, pain and cash bonfire and either trim your expectations or raise your budget.

------ Follow up post added February 5th, 2013 08:59 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Nice 110 though.
Yes, it looks like a nice truck and even has a galvy frame, but I assure you that it is somehow misrepresented. If this truck were at Nene or Foley's it would be much more money because it would be SORTED.

THen again, I don't know why I feel the need to opine on this and open myself up to critisism (Chris/Broadstone, I wasn't trying to start any trouble with my disagreement with your statement - hope you didn't take it that way). I should just let people learn for themselves.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:

Looks good from the computer terminal, but what about in person???

Might be OK and might be a poor restoration. In December & January spent lots of time sorting out a "UK restored 110" I won't go into all the details, but the list was very very long. Here's a few bits:
The crank pulley loose and key way wallowed out along with the lower timing gear and it had a V8 air filter welded to the inside fender well with the hose laying on the exhaust manifold. The turbo sucked so much burnt hose that it was bad and the intercooler clogged. The owner brought it to me because the engine had no power as the hose between the turbo and intercooler was popping off and no amount of clamping kept it in place. Top speed was 52 MPH. The dipstick had been replaced because of the V8 air cleaner location. The short dipstick was impossible to get to so someone put some wire around it. You could get it off, but had to remove the air inlet hose to get it back in place. It read too high so the engine was half full of oil.

So this was a fine UK restoration, but was NOT done at Foley's that's for sure. Those guys do good work.

Guy paid close to the top of the $35K budget you have.
BUYER BEWARE is all the advice you need.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Here you go. In the US, titled, etc. Priced at an arm and half a leg (according to your budget), but everything you asked for.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43072
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Here you go. In the US, titled, etc. Priced at an arm and half a leg (according to your budget), but everything you asked for.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43072
Bet when everyone catches on that similar ones are much much harder to come by the price will jump much higher.

Josh your powers of locating obscure items are damn good.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, this http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...20&postcount=1, plus one of these would get you very close to what youre looking for and under budget.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3998BEDA.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	65786  
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Still cannot understand why I am the only one who thinks a 35K budget is possible. Since the vehicle wanted is gonna be "illegal" anyway and needs to be a vin swap here it is, just pay for the galvy chassis swap and ship and you are still able to be almost right on the budget. This is also the dealer you said would be the best available. http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/popu...3824261_4c.jpg
That converts to $28K just for purchase of the truck. That only has 40k miles.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:36 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Still cannot understand why I am the only one who thinks a 35K budget is possible. Since the vehicle wanted is gonna be "illegal" anyway and needs to be a vin swap here it is, just pay for the galvy chassis swap and ship and you are still able to be almost right on the budget. This is also the dealer you said would be the best available. http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/popu...3824261_4c.jpg
That converts to $28K just for purchase of the truck.
because the feds are not letting galv chassis vehicles in the country and loads of trucks are being sent back and possibly crushed ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
because the feds are not letting galv chassis vehicles in the country and loads of trucks are being sent back and possibly crushed ...
Well it will be a vin swap illegal anyway so it doesnt matter really. I am just saying if that is the route someone wants to go to get what they want it is possible, the risk of it being allowed in is assumed anyway if you swap the vin.

is there any proof of those being sent back or crushed yet though?
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

No lets examine the facts, not be subjective...

Quote:
Well it will be a vin swap illegal anyway so it doesnt matter really. I am just saying if that is the route someone wants to go to get what they want it is possible, the risk of it being allowed in is assumed anyway if you swap the vin.

is there any proof of those being sent back or crushed yet though?
Let's get the facts straight, the vin swap is NOT illegal in UK.
There is a certification process that has to followed that is documented with DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) and allowed by law. The situation is completely transparent with the UK authorities, NOT a back room clandestine illegal swap process. You are allowed to restore a 110 and upgrade to a galvanized chassis, newer engine, and so on in UK if you follow the process and pass the required inspections made by DVLA government officials.

The situation is that US Customs are seizing these vehicles not because they have illegal ID swaps or are stolen, but because they no longer meet the exact specifications the 83 - 88 vehicles left the factory with. That's it, no mystery or underhanded dealings.

None of the 110 vehicles in 1983 had a galvanized chassis puma common rail diesel or a TDI, so under the current interpretations of what is original or not original, there "restored" vehicles are not allowed into USA because they no longer match the "stock" factory specifications for the given year of manufacture.

Now the work that is going on in UK is not unlike someone who buys a wreck of a 1932 Ford coupe in the states and puts a tubular chassis under it with a small block chevy engine, and so on. The difference is that in UK it is more controlled with required inspections in order to pass MOT and purchase tax and the other difference is that the Ford is already in the country, but a restored 110 has to be imported... and in order to end up in your driveway, it must be legally imported, and in order to be legally imported, it must pass a US Customs inspection, and in order to pass a US Customs inspection it now must be original.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
110, defender, defender 110