Old February 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
in order to end up in your driveway, it must be legally imported, and in order to be legally imported, it must pass a US Customs inspection, and in order to pass a US Customs inspection it now must be original
Very nicely stated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Does anyone ever read the sticky thread "What's Legal Frame Swaps etc" at the top of the FS section, or do we all need to chip in and pay Doug or somebody a monthly fee to maintain and keep the information current so we don't have to have this discussion every time there's an import question.

I'm guilty myself of sparking a debate over a Puma once in a while, but that's a little different then the discussion of importing trucks under the 25-year old exemption (which is very well covered).

I wish I patented this discussion.! Is there a way I can purchase the rights to any discussion regarding imports, legal frame swaps and what CAN be done, what HAS been done and what is LEGAL......and get some type of residual fee for each time something is mentioned. Sort of like how a rock star gets like $0.05 every time his song is played on Pandora or a radio station?
I want to quit my day job and see this as a huge profit center.

All kidding aside, I've only been in this scene for a few years now and this conversation is sooooo old. Not that I don't like discussing it, but when the same circular argument is put forth every time it just gets old.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:21 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Jason's wishlist is out there with hard work (think CCC or LMC TV shows, or Copley, LOL). This very nice and sorted LHD Td5 in Virginia sold for $28k a few months ago when it shipped to San Juan Capistrano, CA. It was mine for $22k last spring (I would have been glad to go higher, but that was the PO's asking), but not available until the fall (the PO's move date). Errr, sould of left a $10k depost or full price back then to keep that dealer from swooping in. The PO sold a similar D-110 with a 200 Tdi to the same dude for $20k the year prior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1387.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	65898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Let's get the facts straight, the vin swap is NOT illegal in UK.
There is a certification process that has to followed that is documented with DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) and allowed by law. The situation is completely transparent with the UK authorities, NOT a back room clandestine illegal swap process. You are allowed to restore a 110 and upgrade to a galvanized chassis, newer engine, and so on in UK if you follow the process and pass the required inspections made by DVLA government officials.

The situation is that US Customs are seizing these vehicles not because they have illegal ID swaps or are stolen, but because they no longer meet the exact specifications the 83 - 88 vehicles left the factory with. That's it, no mystery or underhanded dealings.

None of the 110 vehicles in 1983 had a galvanized chassis puma common rail diesel or a TDI, so under the current interpretations of what is original or not original, there "restored" vehicles are not allowed into USA because they no longer match the "stock" factory specifications for the given year of manufacture.

Now the work that is going on in UK is not unlike someone who buys a wreck of a 1932 Ford coupe in the states and puts a tubular chassis under it with a small block chevy engine, and so on. The difference is that in UK it is more controlled with required inspections in order to pass MOT and purchase tax and the other difference is that the Ford is already in the country, but a restored 110 has to be imported... and in order to end up in your driveway, it must be legally imported, and in order to be legally imported, it must pass a US Customs inspection, and in order to pass a US Customs inspection it now must be original.

Excellent explanation Schmekle. Couldn't have put it any more concisely myself.

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2013 11:33 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Does anyone ever read the sticky thread "What's Legal Frame Swaps etc" at the top of the FS section, or do we all need to chip in and pay Doug or somebody a monthly fee to maintain and keep the information current so we don't have to have this discussion every time there's an import question.

I'm guilty myself of sparking a debate over a Puma once in a while, but that's a little different then the discussion of importing trucks under the 25-year old exemption (which is very well covered).

I wish I patented this discussion.! Is there a way I can purchase the rights to any discussion regarding imports, legal frame swaps and what CAN be done, what HAS been done and what is LEGAL......and get some type of residual fee for each time something is mentioned. Sort of like how a rock star gets like $0.05 every time his song is played on Pandora or a radio station?
I want to quit my day job and see this as a huge profit center.

All kidding aside, I've only been in this scene for a few years now and this conversation is sooooo old. Not that I don't like discussing it, but when the same circular argument is put forth every time it just gets old.

You figure that one out let me know

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2013 11:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
loads of trucks are being sent back and possibly crushed ...
Your source on this statement ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:04 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Still cannot understand why I am the only one who thinks a 35K budget is possible. Since the vehicle wanted is gonna be "illegal" anyway and needs to be a vin swap here it is, just pay for the galvy chassis swap and ship and you are still able to be almost right on the budget. This is also the dealer you said would be the best available. http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/popu...3824261_4c.jpg
That converts to $28K just for purchase of the truck. That only has 40k miles.
Did you think before you wrote this? Your post/opinions makes zero sense and adds zero value as well. You should practice thinking before you post and ask yourself, before you hit send, if what you are saying is relavent. If not, try to restrain yourself from typing just to hear yourself talk.

Clay
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Just for the record i am not saying that vehicle at Foley that I used as an example is a vin swap, it is not, it is a 2003. My point was that trucks such as that one with a galvy chassis put under them paired with an older vin number have gotten imported, and would be near the $35k budget if you did it yourself.

Yes the legality of import topics are many. Though discussions are unlikley to end any time soon assuming the changes and more involved scrutiny everyone keeps talking about.

I do want to hear the stories about those trucks denied entry if it is indeed a fact.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
I dont want to spend and arm and a leg(I would like to remain married).
You ask the impossible.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Well, as I said before your post don't make sense and they don't add value to Jason's thread. You should start a separate thread in the misc chit chat section - I want to hear stories.

Clay
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Good damage control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Just for the record i am not saying that ...vehicle at Foley that I used as an example is a vin swap, it is not, it is a 2003... HAVE GOTTEN imported, and would be near the $35k budget if you did it yourself.
The key is "have gotten imported", ie a thing that happened in the past that is currently not happening today.
The JIG IS UP on non-original Land Rover imports, so knowing roughly where the supply and demand curves intersect, the price will increase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas
Excellent explanation Schmekle. Couldn't have put it any more concisely myself.
Why thanks "Mutha Likkah".

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
110, defender, defender 110