Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 13th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

prizm with AWD?

Frank,
Did the prizm come with AWD or are you just reference that the prizm came with the Toyota motor? And if AWD do you know what year? Thanks again. I do agree that the GTS is not practical unless the price is cheap.

Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What's the difference between a "beater" and an "everyday driver"?

To me they are essentially identical.

Also, insisting on a GT-S corolla is really a mistake. In good condition, they are rare and you're going to end up paying too much money for some imaginary street cred. In reality, nobody will care when you pull up in a hoopty mobile with 130hp. You're getting this thing to commute in, not impress pimply teenagers with their nose in Initial-D videos. Women will still ignore you.

Just get a bone stock 4A-FE with working air conditioning. I used to DD a 1991 AE92 and drove it from 150,000 to 230,000 miles @ 30mpg. After doing a full engine seal replacement and clutch, I donated it for a tax writeoff of $500 to NPR. It could have easily done 300,000 miles.

If you can't find an AE92, find a last-gen geo prizm. They're dirt cheap and identical to the corolla.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Have you driven a Justy? They are awful. Driving one 70 miles a day would suck. I think it is the last car I would want to commute in.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:16 AM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I have never driven one and would not want to. Last winter my neighbor needed a pull home because his battery was dead at a neighbor's house. I hooked the Justy up to the D90 and pulled him around the 'hood like a water skier behind a boat with no control. The roads were snow covered and very icy; every turn I slung him around like a kids toy. The Justy was completely sideways on every turn w/ my neighbor fighting the wheel to try and maintain control.............Most fun I have had in a long time.

For fun I usually pull out the 109" P/U to humiliate my neighbors in there full size pickups when they need to be pulled out.
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2015, 11:22 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Did the prizm come with AWD or are you just reference that the prizm came with the Toyota motor? And if AWD do you know what year?
No AWD in any years. The Geo Prizm is just a rebadged corolla and they are solid. Dirt cheap as well since nobody knows what a geo is anymore.

Why do you need AWD so badly?
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
No AWD in any years. The Geo Prizm is just a rebadged corolla and they are solid. Dirt cheap as well since nobody knows what a geo is anymore. Why do you need AWD so badly?
Really!
Because I have a 2003 Mazda Protege that I'd like out of the driveway.
Just needs a battery, new battery cables, and is coming up for a timing belt change.
I parked it because recently, I cut expenses on insurance. I wasn't going to drop insurance on the Rovers so the Mazda got the cut.
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Here's something that is super awesome that brings out my inner VW nerd :

Volkswagen Golf Country Syncro 4WD | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:40 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Steep driveway for the occasional snowy day and it is one if those "want" things like the way I want a badger top "the shiznik" factor. I love the s60r awd wife's car so I am going to stick with what Awd. Yes I have totally ruled out any Audi products as another member expressed my sediments exactly about Audi. Don't get me wrong the new ones are awesome looking just would never buy one

------ Follow up post added May 13th, 2015 03:44 PM ------

I had 5 vw bugs and though I enjoyed them, not a big fan of the brand anymore. Of course if someone have me a synchro I would not decline it.

QUOTE=psykokid;636955]Here's something that is super awesome that brings out my inner VW nerd :

Volkswagen Golf Country Syncro 4WD | eBay[/QUOTE]
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:56 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

you guys suck! throwing out all those nice options. Especially the Mazda 323 gtx, wow. So far I have it now narrowed down to:

AWD Subaru Justy 1988-1994
AWD Toyota FX16, though I think you need to get the GT-S package for AWD 1987-1991
Mazda 323 gtx - 1988-1991 I think

Then we have the
AWD Honda Civic Wagons Wavagon (or some weird name)- 1983-1988 I think
AWD Toyota Tercel Wagon 1984-1988 I think
AWD Subaru GL
AWD Subaru xt though not much room and the you can get them in the 4 or 6 cyl turbo model

Someone mentioned the Isuzu I-mark but I haven't seen one yet.

Basically there are a ton of options for mid/late 80s AWD but doesn't mean they are easy to find

I think the Justy is the most fuel efficient
I think the Mazda 323 GTX are the most rare and fun
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:05 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Is there a reason you are limiting your choices to stuff from the late 80s and early 90s? Maybe the climate down there is easier on cars but DDing a twenty year old car here is a recipe for disaster.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:12 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I had 5 vw bugs and though I enjoyed them, not a big fan of the brand anymore. Of course if someone have me a syncro I would not decline it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Here's something that is super awesome that brings out my inner VW nerd :

Volkswagen Golf Country Syncro 4WD | eBay
Fun fact, Steyr built the Golf Country. http://www.vwgolfcountry.net/blog/?page_id=2 I did the aircooled thing for a while, then got into watercooled VW's. Still have a 76 Scirocco and dailyed a 90 Corrado up until the point it got totaled.

Anyhow, a 323GTX (if you can find one) with a few tweaks will give you shit eating grins for weeks while maintaining complete under the radar sleeper status.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:20 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I wonder if this is still available?

82k-Mile 1988 Mazda 323 GTX AWD Turbo | Bring a Trailer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted