WTB: 110, Diesel, manual, and a little intro! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:04 PM
awjunkies
lennard
none

WTB: 110, Diesel, manual, and a little intro!

First post so it accompanies a small intro!!

Been a long time lurker on this site and I finally decided to join a little bit ago. Ive owned various classic cars in the past ranging from 1969 Datsun Fairlady to 1969 triumph GT6, 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV, etc.

My first car was an 02 WRX that I competed in a few rally events in, and from there ive gone between track racing and wheeling with my friends jeeps. Went full blown and built a 74 FJ40 with a Chevy 350, didnt quite hit the spot so I just restored (this past year) a 67 Bronco, 289 with all the doodads that "help" gas mileage.

Had a sitdown with the wife a few weeks ago and we talked about my new-ish career (military) and us trying to start a family so I decided to sell some non-essentials, one being my Bronco so I could buy a more family-oriented vehicle. A.k.a. 4 doors, nothing older than me (im 31) and gas mileage better than 10mpg.

So here I am now, torn between an older gelandewagen or the good ole 110 (wife will be pleased ) Being that this is a LR forum im pretty sure what the response will be. Actually, im pretty certain im going to go the LR route based soley on the fact that there are so many more vehicles/parts for sale than the G.

Only requirements; Diesel, 4 door (duh), manual, LHD, and 1997 or older as I plan to move back to CA and dont want to deal with smog.

Looking to spend no more than 15k, I know thats a stretch but ive seen a few go for that price. Probably going to message Johan if he doesnt chime in first. Just looking for a great running/solid rig, dont care about the paint, etc.

I know there will be bugs, ive had parts fly off, electrical catch on fire, basically all the joys of owning a used classic. I can add more but that takes away from my "build how I want it" fund. Also not looking to trade either as the Bronco has 3 solid buyers as it is and I dont plan to buy for another 2-3 months at that. Basically looking for something that runs better than it looks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Only requirements; Diesel, 4 door (duh), manual, LHD, and 1997 or older as I plan to move back to CA and dont want to deal with smog.
Sorry to inform you that the State of Kalifornia will NOT let you register a diesel anything.
Click Here, sorry.
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:48 PM
awjunkies
lennard
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Sorry to inform you that the State of Kalifornia will NOT let you register a diesel anything.
Click Here, sorry.
There are always ways!! In the 8 years I worked at a resto shop I bought/registered/restored 8 personal vehicles. All were pre-75 and had no issues. I know this law is new but I just called my old boss and for now pre-75 are still safe and diesels pre 97 are good. Can you imagine what this law would do to all the specialty shops in CA? "Im sorry sir, youre going to need to install smog equipment in your Ferrari 250 gto and have it authenticated...."

I used to go down to my local DMV so often I got to know a few workers on a first name basis and everything is case by case; i.e. "mandated by statute." Granted the last time I purchased a "new to me" vehicle was back in Feb of 2013 and that was my 67 Bronco. Worst case, as some have done already ill just get it registered in another state then bring it over when I go back to CA. Im a resident of Mississippi now anyway so I have that covered.

thanks for the heads up though!!! Willing to take my chances!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2014, 11:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by awjunkies View Post
There are always ways!! In the 8 years I worked at a resto shop I bought/registered/restored 8 personal vehicles. All were pre-75 and had no issues. I know this law is new but I just called my old boss and for now pre-75 are still safe and diesels pre 97 are good. Can you imagine what this law would do to all the specialty shops in CA? "Im sorry sir, youre going to need to install smog equipment in your Ferrari 250 gto and have it authenticated...."

I used to go down to my local DMV so often I got to know a few workers on a first name basis and everything is case by case; i.e. "mandated by statute." Granted the last time I purchased a "new to me" vehicle was back in Feb of 2013 and that was my 67 Bronco. Worst case, as some have done already ill just get it registered in another state then bring it over when I go back to CA. Im a resident of Mississippi now anyway so I have that covered.

thanks for the heads up though!!! Willing to take my chances!!
Have fun and enjoy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
110, diesel, manual