Wtb 110 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The one for 12.5k LHD 2.5NA is a smoking deal. A defender spec 200Tdi swap and some bulkhead repair and you will be into it for under 20k.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Why have you not purchased this one (see below)? If that's not waht you are "looking" for then do like the rest of us and buy direct. Its not rocket science, just takes self confidence and conviction.

Completely original 110 stationwagon.

The good:
- Recently imported, checked and passed customs without a problem
- Clear Michigan title
- very solid frame
- very nice original interior
- 10 seater
- power steering
- no oil leaks
- nice body

The bad:
- left front wing has bad repaired dent
- paint on both wings faded
- some rust on bulkhead, see pictures
- engines has excessive crankcase pressure

Just took the car for a 20 mile drive, and it really drives nice. Also engines runs nice, always starts, hardly smokes and feels like enough power (as much as you can get from a 2.5 diesel...)

I bought the car unseen and the previous owner was not completely honoust about the engine. I don't want to do this and I decided to drop the price considerably.

asking $ 12,500,=
Attached Thumbnails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
We all keep telling him to buy the same one, but I don't think he's listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 10:59 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

The reason is the bulkhead has holes completely through it and seller describes engine issues. I want to fly in and drive home. If I lived 12 miles away and not 1200 I'd be more likely to consider. That's a project. I'm looking for a driver.

Again sorry I didn't buy anything that someone recommended. I know many of you have years of experience in this thread and I trying to myself not come across as an ass. Not my intentions at all.
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:31 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

$15K used to buy a gorgeous ex-MOD imported to your doorstep, but that's a 2-door vanside and besides, those days are gone...unless you're willing to buy one in the UK and store it there for a couple of years until the 25-year mark comes around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:50 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
$15K used to buy a gorgeous ex-MOD imported to your doorstep, but that's a 2-door vanside and besides, those days are gone...unless you're willing to buy one in the UK and store it there for a couple of years until the 25-year mark comes around.
Every single importable exMoD vehicle is sold? Or just the Tithonis? General Service 110s can still be grabbed for a couple of thousand pounds and you'd be under $10k for a very decent useable daily example.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Every single importable exMoD vehicle is sold?
I think he means only the gorgeous ones.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
The reason is the bulkhead has holes completely through it and seller describes engine issues. I want to fly in and drive home. If I lived 12 miles away and not 1200 I'd be more likely to consider. That's a project. I'm looking for a driver. Again sorry I didn't buy anything that someone recommended. I know many of you have years of experience in this thread and I trying to myself not come across as an ass. Not my intentions at all.
Adam, The reason the $12.5k 110 should be a good choice for you ( and these don't surface often) is here you still have room in your budget to address the issues that have been identified already for you. That's a gift! If you find a $20k 110 there is little chance you will have the issues identified and if $20k is the budget you'll have a lawn decoration to explain until you figure that shit out.

Clay

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:36 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Adam,

You are not being an ass. It's your money and $20k is a lot of it.

What you need to realize is that no matter what you buy... you'll have to dump money into the truck.

Pedro

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:42 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I think he means only the gorgeous ones.
J did you say gorgeous?
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Buy the 12K truck. Have a local welder fix the floors and cover it all up with a spiffy molded front mat. Winning!
That 2.5 will keep going with all 4 rods slappin', the bores oval, a blown head gasket, the valves bent and the exhaust falling off. Besides, getting a replacement engine or even switching to a Tdi won't bust your wallet nor sideline the truck for very long.
For someone who is looking for a defender that doesn't need anything, you'll have to get in the queue behind the ghost seekers and the bigfoot trackers.
Really. Even the ones that are 40-odd grand need a ton of work.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bill is right. All defenders need some work. Figure that into your budget. There are shops with reasonable rates. Better to buy one for less and ship it to a shop and get it sorted out and then take delivery. Even with shop rates a repaired bulkhead and used 200tdi swap will be under $20k.
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
If I could go back in time, I'd buy that 110 instead of my ex-mod 90 and LR3. Heck, if I thought I could sell the LR3 fast enough, I'd probably try to buy it anyway.

What are the odds that two defenders would both leave me stranded? Wait... don't answer that.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
That one for $12.5k is a crazy good deal and I am blown away that it hasn't sold. But judging by used parts I have on the forum the overall Defender market seems flat.

Bill knows more about the 2.5NA than I do but my small experience with mine tells me he is spot on. They are simple motors and will go and go. It will take you a while to get the 1,200 miles but my guess is, as long as the fuel is good that it will make it.

I wouldn't discount it as a driver either. If the frame is 80%+ I'd run it as is and sort things out as they come up. After having my '86 for a while now - I am beginning to view them like an old Chevy pickup. Probably a ton of things "wrong" with it but it will still go down the road. And not for nothing but that 5 door is way nicer than my 3 door is.

------ Follow up post added November 13th, 2013 10:10 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The problem with the ex-MOD rigs (and the main reason I didn't look into buying one) is if you don't love the paint, it seems like you are stuck with it unless you start swapping body parts like mentioned in a previous thread.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
The problem with the ex-MOD rigs (and the main reason I didn't look into buying one) is if you don't love the paint, it seems like you are stuck with it unless you start swapping body parts like mentioned in a previous thread.
Those panels aren't going to be straight anyway ;-)
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

I was in the OP's shoes looking just weeks ago, and I finally decided on a Tithonus. My reasons were that the SW will never be a great family car due to terrible safety ratings, so I really wanted a 3rd for-fun-only truck. Once I let go of having 5 doors, the idea of having a badass convertible summer cruiser sold me. I plan on leaving it topless most of the time. It also has very low miles, and lots of new parts.

Also, the Tithonus truck panels do look very straight, and they don't have layers and layers of paint. They have one good layer of NATO paint since they were stripped and painted for the Tithonus project. I'm thinking of doing this to my Defender.

The LHD Tithonus is about $16-17k to import. Doing the above, I'm estimating I'll be lucky if I'm under $22k, and then I'd still like a 200tdi. So it isn't the cheapest route I guess.

EDIT: I'd still like to know why people said the prices of these trucks are through the roof. They can be imported for under $17k. They are being sold by third parties for $20-22k.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Adam, The reason the $12.5k 110 should be a good choice for you ( and these don't surface often) is here you still have room in your budget to address the issues that have been identified already for you. That's a gift! If you find a $20k 110 there is little chance you will have the issues identified and if $20k is the budget you'll have a lawn decoration to explain until you figure that shit out.

Clay
I don't have a lawn. I have a parking deck. I don't have the resources here in Texas that I have in Virginia. I know that I will have to fix some issues with a 25 year old truck. It's what issues I can deal with currently.

Off to score a bottle of Pappy to celebrate my first day of pto in a year.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Adam, I just got an email asking if I was interested in a couple 5 door 87 110's diesels with solid chassis but bad doors. They are both white. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in if I can get one here for $20k.

Clay

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:01 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Those panels aren't going to be straight anyway ;-)
I don't want them straight - Murphy's law dictates that the straighter the panels the more damage you will have on trail

Mostly it is the green that I can't like. But if people like the color then they are a very nice buy. Or were...
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:02 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I don't want them straight - Murphy's law dictates that the straighter the panels the more damage you will have on trail

Mostly it is the green that I can't like. But if people like the color then they are a very nice buy. Or were...
Mine appears to have been painted sand or some desert color on one of it's 32 layers of paint. I wish that was the final color.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted