Wiring Harness - Possibly Burned - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Wiring Harness - Possibly Burned

O.k. here goes. I am looking for a wiring harness as I am going to do a 300TDI and the rebuild vehicle is gutted. So I believe I can use a NAS loom that has been burned as long as I can get a hot wire to the engine compartment and the wiring intact for the dash and the front headlights/turnsignals.
Or....could I just buy a 300TDI wiring harness from the ROW but I am aware that there are differences especially with the vehicle lighting.

So if you have a burned but usable for a 300TDI harness let me know. If you have any thoughts on using a 300TDI harness from the ROW please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thank you,
Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

bump
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you get the AMR5856 you'll be pretty good to go with respect to nas harness compatibility and simplification of wiring. the 5856 is the TDI main harness prior to 98, so it isn't alarm-spec or have any other undesirable features. Hopefully you can find one for 600-ish, but shop around because prices have been going up. If Crazy George doesn't have one, then try some Uk vendors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Jim,
Thank you I will RDS a call and see what he has lying around. Basically to confirm any pre 98 ROW TDI harness should do correct?
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
NO - any old harness will not do - you really have to know what you are getting. There are some weird variants out there and you can find yourself buying subharnesses and other stuff you didn't intend to because of mutual incompatibilty. Some sellers (like on ebay) also have trouble distinguishing what they have - I bought a couple harnesses because they were cheap and ended up in one case with a weird 4-cyl petrol harness and some other odd thing. Get a part number, figure out what it is, and then get the engine harness that is supposed to go with it - that's really the easiest way.

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Jim,
Thank you. What would you recommend if you have no dash wiring, fuse box, relays etc. All I have is the wiring from the front and rear lights everything else was too far gone. Your help is much appreciated.
Clay
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'd buy the AMR5856 - it has integrated front lights and so all you'd need would be the instrument harness, the back body harness, and the motor harness. Its hard to believe how much time you save by just buying the right harness.

Old September 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
neo812
Kris
1985 Tithonus

Listen to Jim. Done it both ways. Get the right harness and it will save you days of grief. Now I do swap the pins in the rear harness and use the NAS one to rear. But that main harness is a nightmare to convert. If you are just hell bent on doing it I have a near complete 94 or 95 NAS harness I will sell.

Also, just tell George what you are doing. He can tell you the harness you need to make it happen. Just don't tell him I told you to call and ask a bunch of questions. I'll never hear the end of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
wiring