Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Winch Power Cable 1/0

Hey just wondering if anyone has any wiring for the winch power and ground in a Defender. The cables I have for my winch do not reach the battery box - I need 12.5ft. And can not use my winch until I hook the power up - just ask Justin

I know I can buy it from the local welding shop, or ebay or Amazon - but thought i would ask here first.
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Hey just wondering if anyone has any wiring for the winch power and ground in a Defender. The cables I have for my winch do not reach the battery box - I need 12.5ft. And can not use my winch until I hook the power up - just ask Justin I know I can buy it from the local welding shop, or ebay or Amazon - but thought i would ask here first.
Craig, if you are willing to use a block or quick disconnect I think I have 6 to 8 ft left of 1/0 ( each red and black ) from mine ( new ) Yours gratis of course
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I got lugs and adhesive lined shrink tube (both colors, heavy mil spec)

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

genuinedealz.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:59 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Just ground the winch to the body.. You only need the red cable..your local auto parts store have premade ground cables.. I have loads of the red but it's so heavy it costs just as much to ship...otherwise you would be welcome to it...buuuuuudddddyyyyyy...
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
warn cautions against grounding to the chassis saying it effects performance and motor life.

I have been running the positive to the winch through a "conduit" of heater hose. Pendy told me about the trick and I have been doing it ever since. Let a stick or rock find your cable and nick the insulation and you will start welding .

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:20 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I've heard that before but I fail to see how a battery cable could possibly carry any more current than a good solid steel chassis..providing of course that the grounding points are good.. After all, isn't the whole vehicle including the starter alternator etc grounded through the chassis..frame..??
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
A multi stranded copper cable of adequate gauge offers a far superior pathway for current flow, both positive and negative.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

The copper offers less resistance...for flow. Plus (no pun intended) one less thing dumping onto the frame...unless cathodic protection is your end game.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
warn cautions against grounding to the chassis saying it effects performance and motor life.

I have been running the positive to the winch through a "conduit" of heater hose. Pendy told me about the trick and I have been doing it ever since. Let a stick or rock find your cable on nick the insulation and you will start welding .
Where are you grounding? The battery?

I have 2 feet of 1/0 positive, 1.5 foot of ground to the chassis and it's not working. Winch cuts out under load and is underpowered for rating.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yep Warn recommends home runs for both pos and neg to battery terminals for best performance and motor life.
Its a lot of expensive wire on a defender but necessary.
I have tried the ground to the chassis shite and used the bumper bolts. Damn things were throwing sparks because the ground was insufficient.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Where are you grounding? The battery?

I have 2 feet of 1/0 positive, 1.5 foot of ground to the chassis and it's not working. Winch cuts out under load and is underpowered for rating.
What kind of POS winch are you running?
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Zak's truck is so badass he don't need no stinking winch!
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yeah thanks guys...I am sold on the fact I need to do black and red to the battery. Just need to find a decent source for approx 12.5ft of it. Looks like eBay is best so far
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:17 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Zak's truck is so badass he don't need no stinking winch!
I heard he installed the after market On Star...
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:09 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

And who is running complete uninterrupted battery cables from the winch to the battery anyway.. Isnt the limiting factor of your best case scenario maximum sustained amperage draw going to be limited by the battery cutoff or isolator switch amperage load capacity??.. Or of the connector plug like an Anderson connector system..
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:58 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I got mine @ welding supply.com or someplace like that. It was the best price I could find for welding cable. I like welding cable since it is more flexible than battery cable. I wasn't sure if the insulation was as well suited to life in an engine bay so I ran the cables inside some 7/8" heater hose.

Shayne, yes, but your the switch and disconnect ratings are sometimes the load under which you can make or break the connection without it welding itself. They will often happily pass quite a bit more once the connection is made. Check the specs on whatever you're using. Bottom line, smaller cable will cause voltage drop on longer runs, and that will lead to even higher amperages, and quicker overheating of the motor, reduced pulling power, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Yeah thanks guys...I am sold on the fact I need to do black and red to the battery. Just need to find a decent source for approx 12.5ft of it. Looks like eBay is best so far
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:12 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Totally agree on the amperage of thick vs thin.. Electricity is always compared to water.. Voltage is flow.. Amps is pressure etc etc.. My point is.. That if you wire a winch as recommended there is supposed to be a safety disconnect in the case of the relay contacts sticking closed.. I have seen this happen on a heavy pull and thankfully there was a disconnect available to cut the current.. That disconnect is like a connector in a water pipe..the size of the connector is going to be your limiting factor in your current draw...I'm not talking momentary, I'm talking extended length pulls.. Most connectors or switches in use cannot carry the loads needed to match the maximum current draw capabilities of a 1 gauge wire..therefore your switch is the limiting factor of available amperage..
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Glad you agree, hard to argue with laws of nature...

Mine is hard wired in. One of these days I'll put in a disconnect. If your disconnect can't carry the load current of the device (not the wire) than there isn't much point in having it. Prayer would be more useful at the point where that becomes critical. Extended pulls, like the ones where you flat out ignore the (already compromised) duty cycle of your equipment because you're in such a hurry to go another 10 feet?

I suggest investing in a good disconnect that can handle the load. Or, just relax and have a lukewarm VB while you wait for things to cool off.

Here's a few...though for the price you can buy a couple slabs of that marsupial piss you call beer.
http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...nt-Rating=500A

Oh, and 1 gauge is too small for the length needed in a defender. Get bigger cable and your equipment will thank you for it. I use 1/0, that is the minimum size IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Totally agree on the amperage of thick vs thin.. Electricity is always compared to water.. Voltage is flow.. Amps is pressure etc etc.. My point is.. That if you wire a winch as recommended there is supposed to be a safety disconnect in the case of the relay contacts sticking closed.. I have seen this happen on a heavy pull and thankfully there was a disconnect available to cut the current.. That disconnect is like a connector in a water pipe..the size of the connector is going to be your limiting factor in your current draw...I'm not talking momentary, I'm talking extended length pulls.. Most connectors or switches in use cannot carry the loads needed to match the maximum current draw capabilities of a 1 gauge wire..therefore your switch is the limiting factor of available amperage..
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:46 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I run a husky superwinch... Their duty cycle is 24 hours...

------ Follow up post added September 24th, 2014 12:49 AM ------

And those load ratings are momentary loads.. Not sure on the time period for momentary tests.. But I'm sure someone will chime in.. I thnk the 500a ones I've seen are 500 a momentary and 300 extended..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
winch