Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 28th, 2014, 05:55 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Wife wants a LR4

Need to replace a '01 X5 and wanted to go bigger (two kids under 3) but the only truck my wife likes is the LR. Curious what current owners think, options to seek/avoid as prices seems all over the map (and they are not cheap). Looking in the general richmond/dc area for one with dark exterior lighter interior. Probably lease unless someone talked me out of it. Appreciate the thoughts.

And if anyone wants a white '01 X5 with 138k miles (two owner well maintained) PM me and I will send you some pics. $5k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2014, 07:27 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
CarMax with their bumper to bumper warranty is my suggestion. This primarily because for the life of me I can't get my wife or daughter to listen and drive at the same time and things suddenly just go wrong. Knowing I had a full warranty while the truck worked through the typical LR disappointments would feel nice. Lovely trucks but they do come with unusual surprises. All are manageable but for some can be disappointing. As far as room I would recommend running a test. They fill up quickly. I found two teenagers, wife and full size dog was over our comfort limit. I decided to eject but this I'm sure is because we have been spoiled by a Suburban for too long.

Good Luck, they are beautiful trucks.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
We just did something similar. Just ditched a 2007 X3 for a used L322 Rangie.
I know the L322 Range Rover is among the worst in terms of reliability, but frankly I'm more comfortable with the issues with tha Range Rover compared to the BMW. I'm so over BMWs!!!!!

Kids were getting bigger and although the. Range Rover doesn't have the 3rd row seating, it has more room than the X3.

Anyway, back to your original question. I hear the LR4 is great for what you intend. Next door neighbor just bought one for family and loves it. In fact there are more (whit in particular) LR3/4s in my town that I can't distinguish who's waving at me when I see one. They are the Official "Duxbury Cadillac" or minivan now.

Ditch the X5 immediately with that many miles. If you haven't already done so, there are probably more than $5,000 worth of repairs in your immediate future. VANOS seals, PCV breather system, radiator, expansion tank, lots of cooling pipes/connections ready to fail etc. virtually every gasket will need replacement.

I should know, the L322 has the same BMW 4.4.

LR4 is the way to go. There are several LR guys on this forum who work at dealers who may be able to help locate one. Ping "Bobcat110" on here is one thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
CarMax with their bumper to bumper warranty is my suggestion.
I disagree whole heartedly. The majority of Land Rovers that come through out shop from Carmax have been wrecked but still have a clean Carfax. I've seen ones so bad that the doors don't shut completely. They also recently brought a RRS in for an alignment (since they couldn't get it aligned), and failed to notice the right front knuckle was so badly bent that the vehicle was visually out of alignment.

I'm not saying you have to buy from the dealer, but when you are in for service, you get treated a lot better if you bought the car there. For example, if you buy a car from us (Land Rover Richmond) we drop a loaner off and pick up your car for scheduled maintenance.
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dmarchand has an lr4 loves it. Pm him

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:20 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
For example, if you buy a car from us (Land Rover Richmond) we drop a loaner off and pick up your car for scheduled maintenance.
I wish my local LR dealer would do that. Although is that just for new sales or does it include CPO's?
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:31 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Thanks guys for the quick and thoughtful responses - headed to LR Richmond this afternoon and will report back. Appreciate the insight Jimmy! And good luck in NYC
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I wish my local LR dealer would do that. Although is that just for new sales or does it include CPO's?
Every dealership has different loaner policies. I'm not in sales, but as far as I know, it includes any vehicle bought from us. We pick up a 1991 RRC from about two hours away.
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:27 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

I have a 2010 for sale, 63 Kmilis. Expecting my new range rover soon, so has to go.
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:34 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
The side airbags work well.

See avatar. Everyone walked away.
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:46 PM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Drove nicely equipped ML 350, X5, LR4, and Cayenne over the past few days. All about $70k. Cayenne really just a higher quality vehicle - felt much more justifying of the price. Appreciate everyone's insights.
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:09 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Q7 Tdi would be an interesting one to compare too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I love my l322. It's post-ford takeover, but is comfortable, rock solid so far and has been a great family hauler.

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:45 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

The Cayenne is tiny compared to the LR4. Surprised it's on your list. A new 2014 LR4 lux package is around $60k far less than a Cayenne. If you are thinking Cayenne you may as well get a new RR Sport it's bigger. At least it and the LR4 are proper off road capable. And wear the green oval!
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:36 PM
jt2127
John Thomson
2010 Sport & 2013 LR4

Registry
Whatever you do, get online and get bids from multiple dealerships. You'd be surprised how much you'll save! I've bought 3 Sports and an LR4, none from the local dealer. Saved a bundle each time.
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:54 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2127 View Post
Whatever you do, get online and get bids from multiple dealerships. You'd be surprised how much you'll save! I've bought 3 Sports and an LR4, none from the local dealer. Saved a bundle each time.
Good Lord man, support your local business! I bet you take it to them when you have a problem. Hope you don't bitch when you don't get a loaner vehicle.
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I know this discussion is about an LR4, but since you brought up the Cayenne, I'll weigh in in that as well. Yes, quality is high and they do everything they promise (mostly defy laws of physics and go insanely fast) but in many respects the LR4 is a better family hauler and daily driver. Todd is absolutely correct, the Cayenne has terrible capacity (I would not call it small though, just that with all that width, you'd think it would have mor room for stuff). I have an '09 TurboS and in hindsight I'd would bother doing it again. Stupid fast and handles ridiculous, but really how handy is that on a day to day basis?
LR4 may be common and may not blow the doors off other options, but it's popular for a good reason. It works well for a typical family.
The Q7 tdi is fun to drive when they give it to me as a loaner, but it big-assed and bulky and expensive considering what you're getting. Blind spots too. Lots of torque and good mileage aren't enough to make me want one.
I think you're on the right track with an LR4 if hauling the family is what you plan to do.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
The side airbags work well.

See avatar. Everyone walked away.
Holy sh!t! Glad everyone is ok.

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:08 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
Good Lord man, support your local business! I bet you take it to them when you have a problem. Hope you don't bitch when you don't get a loaner vehicle.
I'm all for supporting local businesses too but if you do some simple homework and determine the delta is significant I say give them a chance to counter but if they refuse to move close enough vote with your feet and let them know it.

This just my opinion. Dealerships that can't react to competition will be weeded out eventually because a model relying on customer loyalty is a risky one in this day and age and won't be there to pick up your car when it needs an oil change for too long anyway.

Clay

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I disagree whole heartedly. The majority of Land Rovers that come through out shop from Carmax have been wrecked but still have a clean Carfax. I've seen ones so bad that the doors don't shut completely. They also recently brought a RRS in for an alignment (since they couldn't get it aligned), and failed to notice the right front knuckle was so badly bent that the vehicle was visually out of alignment.

I'm not saying you have to buy from the dealer, but when you are in for service, you get treated a lot better if you bought the car there. For example, if you buy a car from us (Land Rover Richmond) we drop a loaner off and pick up your car for scheduled maintenance.

I love when all the cute little dealerships hate on Carmax. I'm sure I can't find any paintwork on any vehicles on your lot. And they are all perfect "certified" trouble free land rovers. Wtf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
lr4