Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhartless View Post
That's great. Hopefully the diffs their putting on the LR3s when they fail are the fixed models. I have a friend at work who has a RR...somewhere around '06...and the diff failed. Very low mileage vehicle too.

all the L322s had an issue w/ front diffs I think.
They're not very burly looking, so it's no wonder. More like an AWD diff if you ask me.
Jimmy, you can probably add to this and not trying to derail the thread, but I discovered (through trial and error and many gasket replacements) that the source of the oil burning in the valley pan was coming from the diff vent tube (which was improperly installed when LR did the diff repair in 2007). Diff gear lube was making its way up through the vent, dripping onto the valley area. Of course that's not to say that all the other gaskets weren't Sh*t and needed to be replaced along the way, but ever since I relocated the vent tube output, no more oil in the valley pan area.

To get back on topic, for all the negative comments over the years about 1998+ range rovers (and all Land Rovers), I think much has been improved in the past five years in terms of quality.
I will say this (about the L322)...they had so many problems that there is such a vast knowledge base out there on RangeRovers.net etc. that there is very little that goes wrong that remains a mystery. I'm not sure it was this was when they were new though. The learning curve was not fast in the early years (and that includes LR factory techs), could that be described as accurate Jimmy?

I have not heard anything negative about later LR3s and LR4s. people routinely get 150,000+ out of the LR3s, in fact I was just with a buddy yesterday that has an earlier LR3 w/ V6 that has 180k on the clock and the only reason he retired it to beach service is because his commute doubled and he got into a smaller car.

------ Follow up post added July 2nd, 2014 12:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
X2. Have never leased, only ever bought., Gone through five vehicles in 27 years. One of them traded for a bigger family style vehicle. One rusted out. The D1 rusted out after 14 years but it's running gear lives on in Nigel. The last two we still use as DD and have 285k between them. $130k spent on new cars so about $5k a year. Ouch never thought of it like that.

Btw a local garage is selling a 2006 LR3 69k asking $16k.

If I was looking, that could be an interesting vehicle......
Don't you have like 6 kids? Older too, correct?
you need a bus!
A 'Burb at the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:48 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

We need a new mommy-mobile. Anyone drive the newer Durango?

I wish my wife showed some interest in used RRs, but no dice. My next two preferences for her (E class wagon or 10 y/o G-class) have also fallen on deaf ears.

She requires SUV. Because there are young kid(s) involved, her preference is non-luxury brands.

I have my eye on the JGC diesel, but I'm not sure that will be large enough. I hear good things about the 8-speed in the 2014 JGC and Durango. Any have personal experience with the Durango? We may go Tahoe, although we may do a CPO if we do a GM.
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:54 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Go rent a few! The vehicles you have mentioned are all available in various trim packages in the major rental fleets. Its a great way to really get a good feel for them. We too are buying a cpo mommy-mobile/road tripper and have been renting all the vehicles that fit our criteria: size and functionality. Expeditions have the biggest interiors and best functionality compared to the 'burbans, but I just can't get around their aesthetics. As much as I love fords, the Chevy/GMC's just plain look and feel more refined. The burb and tahoe we rented were nice but felt as gutless as the ford ( all three have 5.3l ) after we rented the Yukon Denali. That 6.2 was the seller! Insane fuel economy on the freeway for a full size suv. A pig in town but what do you expect with that much truck to lug around, especially if you love gassing it a bit and feeling that pull and exhaust grumble. I wish I could get that 6.2 in the burb just because I prefer the burban's looks and it's lack of the cream puff/chrome impression of the Yukon Denali/Escalade! In all, go rent! It's fun and a cheap way to be sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:41 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Go look at the Chevy Traverse. I know I know, but go look at it. SOB is big yet still easy to handle. Reasonable on MPG and you can get it with AWD if weather is an issue in your area.

I've rented and driven a number of those and Equinox SUVs.

Ford Edge as well. Was surprised at that car. Held a lot of crap, was comfortable, and got pretty darn good mpg.

Ford Flex. Its a minivan...without being a minivan. Same with the new Nissan Pathfinder. Both are cavernous and I almost felt like they should've had sliding doors instead of normal people doors on the back.

Dunno. Hope that helps.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:53 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Recently went thru this exercise - wife wanted a LR4 (and to address earlier question - we split time between Charlottesville, and Greenport, NY - thus looking in Richmond). Turned out to be a painful exercise finding a reasonably priced (real sub $68K) LR4 with a light interior. Ended up replacing an old X5 with a new one. Early review is wife loves it, I love the safety features, but with two small kids, its too small as I expected. I was pushing for Buick Enclave after we rented one and drove it to NY from VA during that last major storm to hit the east cost. Car handled amazingly in truly terrifying driving conditions. Also has the second row captains chairs, which I think is the single most important feature in a family vehicle.
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:11 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
X2 on the 2nd row captains chairs! Love those things and rarely found in anything but the biggest of SUV's. They are a must for us in our mommy-mobile search.
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
X2 on the 2nd row captains chairs! Love those things and rarely found in anything but the biggest of SUV's. They are a must for us in our mommy-mobile search.
You don't miss being able to put 3 people in the back seat? Seems like that would piss me off if the 3rd row wasn't accessible and there were 5 total passengers.
Old September 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
They are common in minivans. The Sienna now even comes in AWD.
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:12 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Whats wrong with a station wagon?
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:59 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I still have my LR4 avail in the for sale section. Only 20k miles and perfect condition. Oh and at a great price too.

Randy.
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:04 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002 View Post
You don't miss being able to put 3 people in the back seat? Seems like that would piss me off if the 3rd row wasn't accessible and there were 5 total passengers.
2 things with kids:

- having some space in between can hinder many a fight.
- the alley to the back provides a quick in and out and saves what would have been a bench seat from having muddy cleats walking all over it

Family with kids and dogs:
- throw a dog bed in there and the space is perfect for the dog - he'll get love from every angle. Although my pain in the ass Lab likes to box the boys out on the rear bench.
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
2 things with kids: - having some space in between can hinder many a fight. - the alley to the back provides a quick in and out and saves what would have been a bench seat from having muddy cleats walking all over it Family with kids and dogs: - throw a dog bed in there and the space is perfect for the dog - he'll get love from every angle. Although my pain in the ass Lab likes to box the boys out on the rear bench.
I agree with the dog bed idea - makes perfect sense.

Re: fighting
How do your kids get out of the restraints?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
lr4