Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyrovers View Post
I love when all the cute little dealerships hate on Carmax. I'm sure I can't find any paintwork on any vehicles on your lot. And they are all perfect "certified" trouble free land rovers. Wtf
What is this trouble free land rover you speak of? I have never seen one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I love when all the cute little dealerships hate on Carmax. I'm sure I can't find any paintwork on any vehicles on your lot. And they are all perfect "certified" trouble free land rovers. Wtf
That's definitely not the case, I've seen some fucked up stuff on our lot too. The majority of the cars that come from Carmax are fucked up. I would recommend buying privately rather than from any dealership or used car lot.
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's definitely not the case, I've seen some fucked up stuff on our lot too. The majority of the cars that come from Carmax are fucked up. I would recommend buying privately rather than from any dealership or used car lot.

All dealerships are run by humans. Nobody in the industry has a better process, better reconditioning, and better training than CarMax. They have standards that are higher than most if not all dealers. With all that said they also sell way more vehicles and they are susceptible to making mistakes but your quotes are absurd. "The Majority"... Think about how many cars they sell a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:34 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Totally agree with everything you are saying and helpful context knowing that you have been living with a cayenne. Our car rotation is previously mentioned X5, an e350 wagon (remarkably less practical than anticipated), D90, and least practical of all, a 1987 911 and '84 CJ-7, eclectic if nothing else. I was ready to buy a tahoe or an odyessy (what I think makes the most sense given the above list) but I am both blessed and cursed with a wife who might care about cars more than I do... meaning most things get clipped quickly (tahoe - hates the design, Minivan - never). SO, maybe I need to just bite the bullet - if LR Richmond can really get me a '14 LUX for $60k, I will sign the paperwork today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I know this discussion is about an LR4, but since you brought up the Cayenne, I'll weigh in in that as well. Yes, quality is high and they do everything they promise (mostly defy laws of physics and go insanely fast) but in many respects the LR4 is a better family hauler and daily driver. Todd is absolutely correct, the Cayenne has terrible capacity (I would not call it small though, just that with all that width, you'd think it would have mor room for stuff). I have an '09 TurboS and in hindsight I'd would bother doing it again. Stupid fast and handles ridiculous, but really how handy is that on a day to day basis?
LR4 may be common and may not blow the doors off other options, but it's popular for a good reason. It works well for a typical family.
The Q7 tdi is fun to drive when they give it to me as a loaner, but it big-assed and bulky and expensive considering what you're getting. Blind spots too. Lots of torque and good mileage aren't enough to make me want one.
I think you're on the right track with an LR4 if hauling the family is what you plan to do.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ha! True, the Chantilly Virginia Land Rover dealership has a small team of independent toothless country rednecks camped out on their side parking lot 24/7 doing bodywork and paint constantly.

Clay
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish4 View Post
Totally agree with everything you are saying and helpful context knowing that you have been living with a cayenne. Our car rotation is previously mentioned X5, an e350 wagon (remarkably less practical than anticipated), D90, and least practical of all, a 1987 911 and '84 CJ-7, eclectic if nothing else. I was ready to buy a tahoe or an odyessy (what I think makes the most sense given the above list) but I am both blessed and cursed with a wife who might care about cars more than I do... meaning most things get clipped quickly (tahoe - hates the design, Minivan - never). SO, maybe I need to just bite the bullet - if LR Richmond can really get me a '14 LUX for $60k, I will sign the paperwork today...

....also consider this....
you know how everyone LOVES your Defender? When was the last thing negative anyone has ever said when they commented on it?
well reverse that and that's how people feel about Cayennes. They have become THE quintessential "douche-mobile". I love the way the Cayenne handles an on-ramp at 100mph and will do 130 with half the skinny peddle left, but you have to answer honestly how important that is.
I'd rather drive my wife's 120,000-mile L322 Range Rover because the seats are more comfortable and I don't care about parking next to an old lady.

It's great that your wife appreciates a proper vehicle. Is she more of a "driver" who appreciates road handling characteristics, or is it build-quality and style she's after?
I don't know how well the LR4 handles in comparison to say a RRS or whatever, but it's not really designed to be a GT-cruiser. IMO, its a stylish, well-built daily driver and family hauler that is still fast enough to stay in the high-speed land on any US highway.

Back to the Q7tdi for a minute.....it looks more like a mini-van/suv hybrid than a SUV. Comfy and stable with tons of torque and great fuel mileage, but it wouldn't really be my first choice. Not the best exercise in styling IMO, but I think the Q7 was designed from "the inside out" meaning that that it's occupant comfort and storage was put ahead of weight and size. (sounds like a minvan, right).

Sounds like you have enough cars in the stable that you don't need one single vehicle to do EVERYTHING well, more like each vehicle has a purpose, so even more reason to get a high-capacity good-looking hauler like the LR4.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:43 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Ha! So true and great thought. We have both expressed reservations over how we will be perceived in the two small towns in which we reside - I am not looking for a "LOOK AT ME" type of vehicle - not on purpose at least. Speed is of no interest to either of us - if you want a seriously fast car, test drive Tesla one day - wow.

I saw a great used L322 in Richmond, but my wife thinks its too flashy - same as the above, just even more obvious - cayenne looks a lot like other mid-sized SUV's and easily mistaken - IMO.

Brother in law has a Q7. I was working in Germany when the CFO of MTV got one of the first ones off the line - feels like a very long time ago and while I loved it then - it is in need of a major update.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
All dealerships are run by humans. Nobody in the industry has a better process, better reconditioning, and better training than CarMax. They have standards that are higher than most if not all dealers. With all that said they also sell way more vehicles and they are susceptible to making mistakes but your quotes are absurd. "The Majority"... Think about how many cars they sell a month.
When I said majority, I really meant the majority of Land Rovers that come from Carmax to our dealership for repairs. I don't know anything about other dealers, so I can't really speak on their behalf. I know nothing about any other makes. How could the Carmax process, reconditioning, and training be better than that of a Land Rover dealer? They have towed vehicles from their shop in Charlottesville to our dealership because of a tire light on, which, no surprise, was on because the tire pressure was low. Maybe their training doesn't cover tire pressures. The Land Rovers on their lot are no cleaner than the ones on our lot. Carmax doesn't specialize in Land Rovers.

Comparing Carmax to a Land Rover dealership is like comparing Firestone to Land Rover dealership. They train their technicians, there are many more of them than Land Rover dealers, and they service way more vehicles than Land Rover dealers. Does that mean its the best, or even a good, place to service a Land Rover?
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
A used car is a used car no matter how much green Kool-aid you drink.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Check Truecar.com for prices other buyers have paid for the same vehicle. You can also use a broker. I've never used one. But there is a link on http://www.rangerovers.net/broker.html Hope this helps.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
A used car is a used car no matter how much green Kool-aid you drink.

Clay
They're all crap, even new ones.
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
For what it's worth.... And I know it's not worth much but my wife loves her lr4.... I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
It's got room and comfort. AND it still looks like a truck.... Everything out there basically looks like a minivan to me nowadays.... Lr4 and a g wagon for square truck like good looks and luxury... That's basically it......

Buy the lr4
Old June 30th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

I don't want to continue to derail the thread. Sorry to the OP. I am pro CarMax and that's all from me

Quote:
When I said majority, I really meant the majority of Land Rovers that come from Carmax to our dealership for repairs. I don't know anything about other dealers, so I can't really speak on their behalf. I know nothing about any other makes. How could the Carmax process, reconditioning, and training be better than that of a Land Rover dealer? They have towed vehicles from their shop in Charlottesville to our dealership because of a tire light on, which, no surprise, was on because the tire pressure was low. Maybe their training doesn't cover tire pressures. The Land Rovers on their lot are no cleaner than the ones on our lot. Carmax doesn't specialize in Land Rovers.

Comparing Carmax to a Land Rover dealership is like comparing Firestone to Land Rover dealership. They train their technicians, there are many more of them than Land Rover dealers, and they service way more vehicles than Land Rover dealers. Does that mean its the best, or even a good, place to service a Land Rover?
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:00 PM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
So much for buying local... LR Richmond just quoted me $1294 per month for a 36 month lease on a anniversary edition LUX (MSRP $69k) with $5k down. That is a great way to convince you not to lease
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't know much about the sales side of things, but isn't leasing not really a good deal in general? I always thought it was much better to buy.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
depends on what you are leasing, the terms, and the tax ramifications.

depreciation can be a big motivator

the leasing terms that bonefish stated are terrible.
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:14 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
So much for buying local... LR Richmond just quoted me $1294 per month for a 36 month lease on a anniversary edition LUX (MSRP $69k) with $5k down. That is a great way to convince you not to lease
Wow! I guess this is why we don't incentivize our schools to teach our kids. The economy needs more uneducated people to accept terms like this from companies like Land Rover. At least those that do buy can tell their jealous friends that their dealership makes them feel a kardashian when the service intervals roll around. Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
That's a mortgage payment!

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
That's a mortgage payment!
I wish.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
I don't know much about the sales side of things, but isn't leasing not really a good deal in general? I always thought it was much better to buy.
Lease = I can't afford it but must have it show off I can

( unless you can write it off , then who cares what the payment is, is courtesy of Uncle Sam :-) )

As other said, depreciation of an asset is a big part of the monthly payment equation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
lr4