Where to buy pre-made brake lines for D90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 13th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Where to buy pre-made brake lines for D90?

I'd like to replace the corroded brake lines in my 94 D90, but I'd prefer not to cut and flare them all myself. Even the expensive flaring tools have mixed reviews. Atlantic British has a stainless steel brake line kit for the 110 for $349.95 which seems reasonable but I don't see one for the 90. I noticed Rovers North has pre-made brake lines for the 90 but they are much more expensive. Will Automec's kit work for the NAS 90? It says up to 1987. Is there any difference? Found here: http://www.paddockspares.com/gl5612-...-1987-lhd.html But it's copper. I've read conflicting opinions online about pure copper brake pipes. Some guys from the UK say they've used them for years with no problems while others say they harden over time and can crack/burst. Is this true or are they just repeating something they read online? The kit is also available from another store, and it says it's available in copper nickel. Link:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/auto...ender-lhd.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Does Classic Tube not sell them any more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 13th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Hmm, yeah it looks like Classic Tube does sell them. Thanks! But why do they cost twice as much for the 94-95 D90? $650 for SS. Can I use the kit for the 97?

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2014 01:37 PM ------

The NAS parts catalogue only shows a difference for the little pipes that go to the front calipers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Oh, Atlantic British does have a SS brake line kit for the D90 that fits '94, '95, & '97: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8925A

They include the little caliper pipes for the '97 with it, so that confirms my suspicions that's the only difference. It's odd how they don't have it without the '97 caliper pipes. So I guess I'll order the kit for the '97 from Classic Tube.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Barkingsnake
Angus Johnson
1997 Defender 90

Defender 90 Automec Brake Pipe Kit Issues

Just so you are aware of a potential issue:
The Automec Brake Pipe Set (DA7418) for the '90 from 1992 onwards? Non-ABS?
There seem to be two items "base over apex" with the kit:
(a) The two pipes from the master cyclinder (Numbered 27 in their kit) to the Pressure Limiting Valve has two pipes of different lengths one of which is spot on and the other is 2/3 of the required length and has an incorrect fitting on the end (a 12mm male instead of a 10mm male).
(b) The rear pipe from the Pressure Limit valve has the correct end for the connection to the rear flexy and should have something similar on both ends (female connectors in my parlance). However, it does not and has a male on one end. There is clearly a work around by taking the male to male connector off the pressure valve and "bunging it on."

The people I bought it from said all the '90 kits were identical but then realised that they were wrong! I can't believe that they have been selling these...

However, I perhaps expect too much and have bitten the bullet and bought a load of pipe, fittings and tooling.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I just made mine up rather than buy pre made.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Barkingsnake
Angus Johnson
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Much better plan as you're in control of design, delivery and customer feedback.
I'd already made up a set for my old 2a years ago using a borrowed tool. However, now no tool (and worse still the deceased buddy) I thought it'd make sense.
I'll now make my own as the seller isn't keen to expedite.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
Just so you are aware of a potential issue:
The Automec Brake Pipe Set (DA7418) for the '90 from 1992 onwards? Non-ABS?
There seem to be two items "base over apex" with the kit:
(a) The two pipes from the master cyclinder (Numbered 27 in their kit) to the Pressure Limiting Valve has two pipes of different lengths one of which is spot on and the other is 2/3 of the required length and has an incorrect fitting on the end (a 12mm male instead of a 10mm male).
(b) The rear pipe from the Pressure Limit valve has the correct end for the connection to the rear flexy and should have something similar on both ends (female connectors in my parlance). However, it does not and has a male on one end. There is clearly a work around by taking the male to male connector off the pressure valve and "bunging it on."

The people I bought it from said all the '90 kits were identical but then realised that they were wrong! I can't believe that they have been selling these...

However, I perhaps expect too much and have bitten the bullet and bought a load of pipe, fittings and tooling.
Good info! Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I got confused after reading what kind of flare to make, DIN, SAE, bubble, single, double, and a different flare for different fittings on the truck. I read the Eastwood flaring tool is recommended, but I read reviews and some people said they got terrible flares, oval, cracked, etc. Then given the cost of the supplies and tools, I decided it wasn't worth it to make my own. Hopefully the Classic Tube kit works out.
Old October 12th, 2014, 05:01 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I bought mine from AB this past January. For the most part the bends were correct. The pipes were stainless steel. The connecting pieces were not and already corroding. See if you can get them from ECR if you are still shopping around. After replacing the pipes, the pressure reducing valve started to leak; I would consider replacing that at the same time; the connections to the valve was a pain in the butt with all the other items in the way.
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
I bought mine from AB this past January. For the most part the bends were correct. The pipes were stainless steel. The connecting pieces were not and already corroding. See if you can get them from ECR if you are still shopping around. After replacing the pipes, the pressure reducing valve started to leak; I would consider replacing that at the same time; the connections to the valve was a pain in the butt with all the other items in the way.
ECR gets theirs from Classic Tube
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
AB SS lines are from Classic Tube.
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
I got them from Classic Tube, but I haven't tried installing them yet. Thanks for the heads up on the pressure reducing valve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, brake, d90