Warm Garage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:35 AM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Warm Garage

My fuel pump just died and I need a heated space to replace it - it is not projected to get above freezing for the next week with nights around 10.

I can pick up a new kit and install it for around $300. I have yet to check, but I'm guessing an installed fuel pump would come in around $800?

Is there anyone near (50 miles) Boulder, CO that has a somewhat heated garage I could use for a day? I will pay you for your inconvenience. Moreover, next week I am driving to Nawlin's, LA to start a new job. Not a good time for this to happen.

Any input on a garage or prompt service (time-line, price, etc) would be helpful.

Thanks,

PS – has anyone heard of the hot wire disconnecting at the pump? The wire and/or the pump field windings act “open”.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2015, 10:00 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Do you have a garage but it is just not heated?

If so Lowes/Home Depot sell those propane heaters that will heat things up quick.

We had a shitty winter last year and I would fire mine up for 20 minutes and the shop would stay warm for whatever I was doing.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:24 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

DSH12 is a friend of mine that used to live out here in the Wash DC area. He does not have a covered space at all and I hear it's a bit chilly out there in Colorado right now.

If anyone out in the Denver/Boulder area could help him out it would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2015, 12:03 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

are you sure you need one.... have you tried hot wiring the pump?
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:05 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Also, check the problem prone silver relays before you spend money
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think the guy just needs a garage. I've been in his shoes before.

Do you think the job is going to take longer than an hour or two? DIY Repair Shops has a $30/hr bay rental in Westminster.

If you're really squeezed for cash, I highly recommend the underground public garage method. The more levels the better. Go the lowest level and hide in a dark corner. Nobody will ask questions. You didn't hear this from me.
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:43 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Man up, buy some insulated coveralls and git r dun.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think the guy just needs a garage. I've been in his shoes before. Do you think the job is going to take longer than an hour or two? DIY Repair Shops has a $30/hr bay rental in Westminster. If you're really squeezed for cash, I highly recommend the underground public garage method. The more levels the better. Go the lowest level and hide in a dark corner. Nobody will ask questions. You didn't hear this from me.
I remember Hot Rod has done some engine swaps in parking garages - this is one of them:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...t-engine-swap/

And like Bill says coveralls and get that propane heater from Home Depot. I had to swap the lower control arms on the Burb last winter and it wasn't too bad. Double up on the nitrile gloves.
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:59 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think the guy just needs a garage. I've been in his shoes before.

Do you think the job is going to take longer than an hour or two? DIY Repair Shops has a $30/hr bay rental in Westminster.

If you're really squeezed for cash, I highly recommend the underground public garage method. The more levels the better. Go the lowest level and hide in a dark corner. Nobody will ask questions. You didn't hear this from me.

Ha! That certainly would NOT work for me. Indian dude with a beard. Yeah right, some well meaning soul would call me in as a terrorist planting a bomb!
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Man up, buy some insulated coveralls and git r dun.
I have been poor and cold, and there is no way insulated coveralls would help. You can't beat thermodynamics with clothing. You are totally FUBAR since heat is leaving. Your fingers will freeze first and then you're done

It's 20 degrees in CO right now, cut the guy a break. Having to replace the fuel pump in 20 degree weather outside alone is a daunting proposition.

The urges to use propane heaters outside sound good, unless you've tried. Trust me - they're absolutely useless in anything but a small, well-sealed garage. For the cost of a propane heater, go to the rent-a-garage.

Based on the OP's original post, he doesn't have a garage let alone a heated one. His best bet is to go underground. I'm dark-skinned too and life is tougher due to that fact, but you fix that by being clean-shaven, getting a haircut, and being friendly.
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:52 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
are you sure you need one.... have you tried hot wiring the pump?
The relay was fine, so I ran 12v to the wire going to the pump...nothing. I acts as if it is open. I am not certain of the wire connection at the pump?
Since I have much to do before I move to New Orleans for work next week, I woosed out and called the tow truck to take it to a garage. In the heated garage I can have a better look at it. The price quote was what I expected $700 - $900. It is still a painful decision considering I could have replaced it for about $350.
I will keep you all posted on the solution.
Now, if there were an access panel in the bed of the truck, we would not be having this conversation.
Thanks all for your input.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:01 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Dan,

Sounds like you have things taken care of and moving permanently? Well, in the future if you need a garage (it's heated too!) or a hand, I'm down in Palmer Lake/Larkspur area.

Good luck with the truck and maybe I'll see you on the trail someday? Let me know if you still need help with the pump. It's a fairly quick swap with the right tools and knowhow.

Andy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted