Wanter - stainless of titanium hood and roll bar bolts - 1995 NAS D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM
HarkonianR
Robert Harkins
1995/D90

Wanter - stainless of titanium hood and roll bar bolts - 1995 NAS D90

Hi. I want to upgrade the look of my 1995 NAS D90 with some nicer bolts than are on the car now and that hold the roll bar, the hood and the doors in place. Does anyone offer such a kit? Stainless or titanium would be good for corrosion resistance. Please contact me. rtharkins62@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2016, 04:51 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
SDO Intro pricing: stainless hardware kits, 2nd row window vents, skid plates & more - Defender Source
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkonianR View Post
Hi. I want to upgrade the look of my 1995 NAS D90 with some nicer bolts than are on the car now and that hold the roll bar, the hood and the doors in place. Does anyone offer such a kit? Stainless or titanium would be good for corrosion resistance. Please contact me. rtharkins62@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.
Robert - one note on the above, essentially as Brian pointed out I do have the stainless kits. Both the NAS ST or ROW/NAS SW versions (also have the Interior stainless kits as well, which is included in the NAS ST version but not with the SW version just as an FYI).

However, one thing that I'll comment on regarding the "roll bar" (i.e. cage) bolts. For the cage bolts, it is my opinion that one should NOT use stainless steel bolts on anything that is structural, or safety related. Stainless steel does not have near the tensile or shear strength that a proper Grade 8, or metric Grade 10.9 bolt has. The factory bolts on the NAS cages are all black oxide Grade 8.8 bolts I believe – and absolutely should stay that in order to maintain the integrity of the cage in the event of an accident, rollover, or any situation where the cage may be needed. To put it into numbers, stainless steel tensile strength (even the highest 304, which these kits are) is about 85,000 lbf/in2 (but can go as low as 62,000 in some cases depending on the specific material makeup). Grade 10.9 bolts by comparison are generally 150,000+ lbf/in2….a significant difference, particularly if you are talking life or death! Essentially this boils down to a fracture point that could be as low as almost 1/3 of the original designed factory bolts (if they were replaced with stainless).

I literally just went through this with a few other folks posing the same question – and really tried to drive it home that it is imperative not to use stainless for any NAS or Safety Devices cage (or any cage or structural application for that matter). For any folks that may be looking to replace the cage bolts, the specs essentially are Torx T-50 heads M10 -1.50 x 3.175….my understanding is that this cross-references to a Ford part number actually (Part# W504775-S424). However, because these bolts are hardened steel they are still prone to rust or corrosion (as many of us have seen). I suggest if you do replace them with new units, to spray them with clear coat in advance of installation….in theory it should help stay off the oxidation (and apply lots of anti-seize on the threads as well, which will keep those from oxidizing too).

Because of liability concerns I don’t carry the cage bolts per se, but that’s more of just an overly cautious approach than anything else .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2016, 02:21 PM
HarkonianR
Robert Harkins
1995/D90

Thank you!

Jason, Thank you soooo much for your thoughtful reply. I just learned something. Your advice is well grounded. Look forward to a stainless kit order from me soon!

On another note, I still ned to find a brake light bar? And I still need to find A/C interior dash louvers? Any insights on these will be much appreciated.

Regards, Rob
rtharkins62@yahoo.com
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:30 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Bumax grades above 109 along with 17-4 PH stainless in virtually any temper far surpasses grade 8 fasteners for all properties. Stainless is totally viable as a cage bolt material.

Let's bring Land Rovers to the level of late 1990's aerospace, please!!! I know this was only 17 years ago, but it's about time Land Rover owners started using modern materials on their trucks!
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:59 PM
HarkonianR
Robert Harkins
1995/D90

Interesting...

Hmmm, very interesting! Thank you.
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:22 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Well, if we are all about updating, the OP could even upgrade to:

https://www.webcrawler.com

Now that is some late 90's tech!
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Apparently the vast majority of cage bolts are the same as some bolt on an F250. People were selling bags for cheap. I will say to get them all out and reinstall with antiseize on the thread and coat the tops with corrosion stop to prevent rusting.
Old June 21st, 2016, 03:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Bumax grades above 109 along with 17-4 PH stainless in virtually any temper far surpasses grade 8 fasteners for all properties. Stainless is totally viable as a cage bolt material.

Let's bring Land Rovers to the level of late 1990's aerospace, please!!! I know this was only 17 years ago, but it's about time Land Rover owners started using modern materials on their trucks!
Ed:

I believe we are talking "readily available" fasteners here (or so I assumed), within a spectrum of budget and accessibility . Now, if we had a government slush fund budget, commercial buying power, NASA-ish resources, etc then certainly yes most likely 17-4 would be certainly acceptable (and even surpasses 8.8 or 10.9 hardened steel). However, standard commercially available stainless (as I'd say 99.99% of folks on here would have access to)....I would not want to see on a Rover rollcage.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:04 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
FYI, Safety Devices supplies stainless button head hex key bolts new with cages. It massively improves the look, and if the supplier thinks the bolts are up to the task, then I do as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
1995, 90, 95, bolts, d90, hood, nas, roll bar