Wanted LED rear tailights for the D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Wanted LED rear tailights for the D90

Anyone in the group located in the U.K? I am looking for the following Truck-Lites (replacement for the Rubbo-lite) as these are LED rear tail light replacements for the 1994 rigs:

3 light LED 313LED 01/06
2 light LED 312LED 01/06
These are the 2 on my wanted list so if you are in the U.K., can get them and willing to ship please PM me with a price.

FYI for anyone on stock - the Trucklite DOT incandescent numbers are
3 light DOT incandescent 313/11/13
2 light DOT incandescent 312/04/00

O... and also if you need the drivers side it is GM part number 15048277 left. GM does not have a part number for a 2 light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Aren't those 24v only?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Dear Dr. Jim,
Yep, so not to be stupider than I am how much difference do you think it will make running them on 12 volt? It will only be the turn, stop and tail as the reverse is still incandescent for the driver's side. Believe me I am trying to track down a set of 12v. I am thinking (which is my problem) that they just won't be as bright or is my dash infomation panel going to light up like a christmas tree?
Signed - Stupid in San Diego.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I am not sure because they are LED not incandescent. I think an LED may just not light at all without the correct voltage.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

They would light, just be dim. If someone's adventurous you could open it up and change the resistors to make them light properly with 12 volts.
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I used to have a 41 Cadillac with a 6v battery. It was possible to run modern accessories like radios and stuff with the right transformer. I'm guessing rigs and stuff have both 24 and 12v subsystems, but there has to be some info out there on running 24v accessories from a 12v system. I probably wouldn't do it myself because lights are a pretty critical item and I would want as few points of failure as possible. Ryan Sakurada might have some good insights.

Old August 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
...I used to have a 41 Cadillac...
You've had both a '41 and a '72 Caddy? You are 'da man! (9,000 lbs of iron between two cars...)
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I used to be into Caddies. My high school buds didn't share my enthusiasm. I eventually moved on to other stuff.

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

As an update, TruckLite Europe makes a 3 LED Round and 2 LED Round tail light block in 12V. I may end up getting a set of those. If anyone is interested in a picture I can forward the .pdf of them just PM me.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The ones that ECR sells, and the ones that are on my truck are all Rubbolites (TruckLite).

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:18 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
They would light, just be dim.
Actually they do not light at all.
I bought a 24v set to mess with and no-worky at all on 12v.

As we are a Truck-Lite authorized dealer, we requested they make 12v versions of th 1993-1994 NAS style lamps in LED and the answer back was that they would not due to lack of demand and the fact that everything in Europe that runs that unit is 24v.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, but ECR has an exclusive deal to sell them in the US. I poked around trying to purchase them from other sources in the US, but Trucklite/Rubbolite won't sell the specific pieces to anyone but ECR in the US. Oh well, I don't mind coughing up the extra $$ to Mike considering all the help he has given me on my rebuild.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Actually they do not light at all.
I bought a 24v set to mess with and no-worky at all on 12v.
I guess half the voltage must end up below the LED's threshold. Did you take the thing apart to see how they were wired up? Of course it would be possible to rewire them to be 12 volt. Depending on how the circuit is constructed (parallel vs series, number of LED's, etc) it could be just a matter of changing the resistors. Chances are you'd end up just redesigning the whole thing anyway. It would be fun to find out though.

Here's a handy tool too: http://ledcalc.com/
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It seems to me it would be easier to just buy an led array, fill the lens' with epoxy and set the arrays in place in the original lens. You can buy 12v led arrays with a regular incandescent bulb base on ebay for a few bucks. Otherwise, convert to the round ones and order 'em from ECR!
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

We don't have an exclusive US deal, but we are a retail US dealer.
Truck-Lite is a wholesale company. You have to buy thousands of pounds of product a year in order to be and stay a dealer. So calling Truck-Lite won't get you very far. You need to find one of their retail dealers. You can buy those lamps in the UK via Truck-Lite dealer and then ship them in yourself, no skin off my nose.

The units are sealed in what looks like epoxy to me. There is no way to open them up, they are fully sealed and the circuits are encased in the goop. You can't see or get to any of the inerds.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

well that ends that then
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Good conversation guys. Nice exchange of ideas and Much appreciated! Thank you for exploring the idea.
Clay
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

When I tried a couple years ago, Trucklite simply forwarded my email to ECR, and NAPA can get just about any Trucklite product, but for some reason they can't order those specific parts. I assumed it was because ECR had an exclusive deal, but either way, it doesn't bother me. Like I said, Mike has been so helpful over the last couple years that I have no problem spending a little extra to buy them from him.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I know it's an older thread but I've been looking for an LED option that more or less keeps with the UK look but provides better light and what I was thinking was taking a block of clear, drilling whatever LED 3mil pattern into the back of it, embedding a bunch of led, then using the stock 'cover' but with stainless screws and silicone sealant to keep it dry.

Anyone done something like this? With them all wired up in parallel should be reliable enough... though I'm sure it'll take a few tries to get right... the other option of course is River Runners but it is somewhat annoying that a Canadian company can only ship from the UK to Canada....

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

we sell lighting from a few different manufacturers grote, truck lite, maximum, VSM some of them may be able to help in these? try looking at them on the web and we can order anything they make

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, d90, ht, lights