Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Wanted: Help Finding NAS D90 -- Newbie

Hi,
I'm new around here and new to D90s and so would really appreciate any wisdom any of you veterans would be willing to bestow. (Until now I've only had expertise in convertible 68 and 69 GTOs, so am humbled due to my lack of knowledge here.)

First, if anyone can point me towards what I'm looking for and give me any guidance about what I should expect to pay, I'd be grateful.

More specifically, I'm in Northern California and looking for a vehicle that will be my daily driver but that is in very good condition (very reliable, looks good, etc.). Reasonable mileage (under 100k). Ideally, I would like one with a factory removable hard top (soft top is fine, but definitely not a SW). The year isn't a big deal for me (94, 95 or 97) although a/c would be good, and I would probably prefer manual over automatic. Color -- yellow, green, black [or perhaps red].

My last purchase was a 68 conv. GTO with a history in FL and NY -- rust under the paint. I learned my lesson about rust and want to avoid that here -- although I'm willing to ship one if it's the right truck/deal. (I do wonder about buying before I know it will pass a CA smog test.)

I've been closely following the asking prices and looking for a good match, and think for the most part trucks fitting my description range anywhere from $29k to $50k. I am thinking I will need to spend $35 to $40k to get what I describe above.

Getting back to my first question -- please let me know if I should adjust my thoughts and whether you have any suggestions on where to be looking (here, craigslist, ebay, hemmings, DuPont).

Second, what would one like the following '95 be worth in your opinion (assuming it's sound, this seems like it would be like something I would be interested in)
http://www.adventuremotorcars.com/we...labama/974748/

Thanks in advance for any advice you're willing to offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Good luck with the search. The only way to avoid rust in my opinion is to rebuild the truck with a galvanized frame and bulkhead (along with some other smaller stuff). Some rebuilt trucks have sold in your price range. Check out the classified ads in the past.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:52 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

this one is in Gilroy so I am not sure how far but it may be worth the drive. It is a 94 though I don't know the mileage. On 94s you want to see if the tranny has been upgraded putting reverse in the lower right position (R380) rather than upper left (LT77). LT77's 2nd have a tendency to fail. I am partial to 94 as I own one. This may be a clean California truck so smog/history may be easily traceable - http://monterey.craigslist.org/ctd/3807993953.html
It is a later 94 as it does not have the internal roll cage over the tub so it may have an R380 in it. It looks pretty clean and unmodified as a lot of original stuff is still there (stock bumpers, rims, etc) and it does have a tuffy center box and a Rovers North (potentially a Badger which is a good thing) top. Do you research on the removable hardtop and if they are worth your time. Since your are in NorCal, you may want to consider sticking with the soft top that way you can run it with the windows zipped out for most of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Here are a couple links worth looking at for a general overall education on NAS D90's.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/FAQ.De...nder_VINs.html

I found these helpful when I was looking.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The only way to avoid rust in my opinion is to rebuild the truck with a galvanized frame and bulkhead (along with some other smaller stuff). Some rebuilt trucks have sold in your price range. Check out the classified ads in the past.
Thanks for the advice -- I did a search and read through a couple and will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
NorCal is pretty broad, and 'J' is pretty vague, but if your ever headed up the hill, stop by for a chat.
-Jeff
I'm just down the road in Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
this one is in Gilroy so I am not sure how far but it may be worth the drive. It is a 94 though I don't know the mileage. On 94s you want to see if the tranny has been upgraded putting reverse in the lower right position (R380) rather than upper left (LT77). LT77's 2nd have a tendency to fail. I am partial to 94 as I own one. This may be a clean California truck so smog/history may be easily traceable - http://monterey.craigslist.org/ctd/3807993953.html
It is a later 94 as it does not have the internal roll cage over the tub so it may have an R380 in it. It looks pretty clean and unmodified as a lot of original stuff is still there (stock bumpers, rims, etc) and it does have a tuffy center box and a Rovers North (potentially a Badger which is a good thing) top. Do you research on the removable hardtop and if they are worth your time. Since your are in NorCal, you may want to consider sticking with the soft top that way you can run it with the windows zipped out for most of the year.
I reached out to Gilroy on that one but never heard back. As for the hard top this one will be parked outside quite a bit -- subject to Northern California's winter rain -- so I think a hard top would be a better choice for November through March, but I wouldn't rule out a soft top. I also like the varied looks b/w hard and soft top. Based on what I've seen, it seems there are very few removable hard tops out there --- is that a correct observation?

I haven't been able to figure out whether the removable hard top was an aftermarket or dealer added option or a certain number of them came that way, and am not sure where to look.
Thanks for the information about trannys, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Here are a couple links worth looking at for a general overall education on NAS D90's.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/FAQ.De...nder_VINs.html

I found these helpful when I was looking.
Very informative, thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
d90, nas, wanted