Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:00 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Wanted D90 ST NAS

All,

While I have always desired D90s from afar, within the past 12-18 months the feeling has overcome me. I've been checking the listings here, ebay, CL, etc. and while I've come close to pulling the trigger on a few rigs, I haven't yet found "the one".

I'm looking for a "clean" NAS D90 ST in either Beluga Black or Coniston Green. Like many, I also love the Arles Blue color and would consider either an ST or SW in that color. Would prefer to keep the mileage sub-100k but it's more important that the truck is in good shape from a mechanical and aesthetic perspective. Willing to spend between $30k and $35k but might be willing to stretch for the right D90.

I'm located in Charlotte, NC so would prefer to find one close by but willing to pay for transport if necessary.

I'm pretty diligent on checking this site, ebay and CL on a daily basis but if anyone here is thinking of selling something which might meet my needs or otherwise has any leads, I'd appreciate your assistance.

Finally, while I currently own a '68 Bronco (so I'm familiar with the good and bad which come with vehicles of this type), it's pretty evident from lurking here that the knowledge and love of Defenders by this community's participants is unparalleled, so your thoughts and advice are welcome and appreciated. I'm sure that once I finally find "the one" I will be frequently seeking advice . . .

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Do you promise to not buy a Jeep Wrangler in a few weeks if what we find for you does not perfectly match what you're looking for? It happens far too frequently here.
Old July 30th, 2014, 10:37 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

That depends . . . if it was a brand new and fully loaded I might be able to stretch my budget to around $42K

Not a concern. I'm a simple fellow who likes things to be low maintenance and problem free. That's why there's only two trucks I've loved and wanted in my life: D90s and Early Broncos. Thankfully I don't have the same taste in women . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

We need a section of this forum for all the
"I want to buy a Defender" threads that get started

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
We need a section of this forum for all the "I want to buy a Defender" threads that get started
That will only invite unwanted characters
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottehrer View Post
I'm a simple fellow who likes things to be low maintenance and problem free. That's why there's only two trucks I've loved and wanted in my life: D90s and Early Broncos. Thankfully I don't have the same taste in women . . .
Where did you ever get the idea that Land Rovers are low maintenance and problem free?
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:56 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Given the astronomical prices that otherwise intelligent people are willing to pay for 20+ year old trucks, I only assumed that reliability, safety and performance had to be the driving factors. Was I wrong?
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
HMMM, how do I answer that?
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
HMMM, how do I answer that?
you turn on your sarcasm detector and re-read it ....
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
I'm a simple fellow who likes things to be low maintenance and problem free.
Have you actually read thru this forum? Check out the Technical thread and say with a straight face that a Defender is "low maintenance". If that is what you are looking for you may want to checkout a Wrangler, FJ or some other cookie cutter 4x4.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
They are awesome head turning vehicles. They have great power and are fun to drive, but if you don't know how to work on one you will quickly learn. You need to find one that is in pristine condition to get what I am assuming you expect out of a D90.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well, I've got a customer that is getting a Yellow 1997 ST ready to sell. Very clean truck with 71,000 miles. Has a rear air locker and a Rockware front bumper and winch and spent it's life in Colorado and New Mexico, so it's as rust free as they get. I'll be posting it up when it's ready.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:41 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

I thought my sarcasm was pretty self-evident but apparently not . . .

I'm familiar with the multitude of problems typically associated with D90s and I have experienced many of the same problems with my Bronco. With that being said, with my budget, I'm hoping to find D90 which is in good condition from a mechanical, frame, aesthetic point of view. I'm not expecting a mint vehicle by any means but for my price range, I'm not looking for a vehicle where I need to turn around and immediately dump another 5-10k into it to fix its problems. I don't think that's unrealistic but I'd welcome your thoughts otherwise.

Roadsiderob, thanks for the info on the Yellow ST. AA is not at the top of my list but willing to consider. Please keep me in mind as further information becomes available.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Lol, we have one. Classifieds/Wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
We need a section of this forum for all the
"I want to buy a Defender" threads that get started
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:59 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I'm not looking for a vehicle where I need to turn around and immediately dump another 5-10k into it to fix its problems. I don't think that's unrealistic but I'd welcome your thoughts otherwise.

You should still typically have $5k ready directly following the purchase to bring the vehicle up to a known standard and to deal with anything right off the bat that may have been deferred maintenance, or just one of those things that goes bump in the night.
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:08 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Understood. I would expect to get a pre-purchase inspection from a qualified mechanic prior to purchasing which I would hope would alleviate the risk of the larger issues but understand that you can't expect a mechanic to identify every potential problem by getting a vehicle on a lift and spending an hour or so looking at it.
Old July 30th, 2014, 08:29 PM
ScottS
Scott Shelley
None

I put a WTB post on Craigslist and had my Defender in 3 days. Many people who are "thinking" about selling check CL to get a feel for things. Many of those people do not want to deal with all the tire kickers if they place an ad. I've purchased a number of vehicles this way. Funny thing: I sold my uncut 75 Bronco to make room for the Defender. Good luck!
Old July 30th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Funny thing: I sold my uncut 75 Bronco to make room for the Defender. Good luck!
That's exactly what I did. Sold the '75 Bronco and got the Defender.
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:25 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You should still typically have $5k ready directly following the purchase to bring the vehicle up to a known standard and to deal with anything right off the bat that may have been deferred maintenance, or just one of those things that goes bump in the night.
Yes you should.
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:29 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I put a WTB post on Craigslist and had my Defender in 3 days. Many people who are "thinking" about selling check CL to get a feel for things. Many of those people do not want to deal with all the tire kickers if they place an ad. I've purchased a number of vehicles this way. Funny thing: I sold my uncut 75 Bronco to make room for the Defender. Good luck!
ScottS,
That's good advice! Thanks and I will definitely try that approach as well. Did you post your ad in the Craigslist(s) for your surrounding areas or did you try and cast your net a little wider? I'm not sure if there's an easy way to post an ad nationwide

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, d90, nas, wanted