wanted: advice for a newbie's d90 obsession - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I would buy the one that Josh posted the link to - I bought mine a little over a year ago after owning a discovery and have had almost no problems - I like the car and would not hesitate to take it on a long trip - that said they arent the most comfortable but thats part of the fun of owning one-

They can be reliable at least mine is and for 19-24 for that one i would talk to him and if it sounds like its been cared for go for it

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:27 AM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Thanks... I've definitely been hawking that post and very tempted. The new developments on the previous sale are very interesting and the salvage title needs some research on my end. Anyone have any thoughts about salvage titled vehicles in Cali?

And how bad are those fiberglass hardtops? I test drove a '97 that had one and it was very gappy and beat down by the sun.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang

And how bad are those fiberglass hardtops? I test drove a '97 that had one and it was very gappy and beat down by the sun.
His fiberglass top is brand new, made by roverracks, and is supposed to be a huge improvement over the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:49 AM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

The top sure is nice, but from the pictures either the truck, or the top, is certainly not the right color. Everytime I look at that ad something new pops up- salvage title,new battery, leaking transfer case, needs re-cored radiator. This always makes me wonder. And, unless I missed something, the salvage title wasnt mentioned until the end of the second page. If this were me, I would have mentioned this in the original ad for full disclosure and so people are not wasting their time. I wouldnt send a deposit on this truck without seeing it in person to get a real feel for it.

If it all checks out, then it is a good deal if you dont mind a salvage title. Personally, I wouldnt care about the title as much as the damage, who rebuilt it, and the quality of the shop. Arles blue is becoming my favoirte color the more I see it.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
thames
Paul Thames
'97 D90 SW

wilyliang, I bought my '97 D90 SW new in '97. Initially I was a little disappointed not to have a manual choice. I still drive it often and have never regretted having an automatic. I do however regret that choice in my other current vehicle, a 2002 Porche 911 C2 which I purchased new with a tiptronic automatic, thinking my wife would want to be able to drive it. She's very rarely done so, and does not desire to drive either, and loves me enough to be happy for me about my disparate vehicle tastes on the edges of the bell curve. I'd get what you'd like, IF she thinks she'll rarely drive it. If she wants to be a Rovergirl, then call yourself a lucky man and wait for the right one (D90, you already have the other right one). Now I live in West Texas and I realize the hills of San Fran offer a different level of and frequency for coordinated footwork that may sway you one way or another. Just a thought, but y'all talk it out and see if she shares the dream. Sometimes I think we feel guilty about our purchases and try to include our loved one who, though they have a financially legitmate stake, may be happy for you with what you want, and enjoy the passenger role. PS, when my wife does drive the 90, she gets even more attention from the guys, so be careful. And one last thing, (huntin' for knockin' wood), my D90 is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! May you be so lucky.
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I've had two 90s on both ends of the mileage/condition spectrum (8k miles and 80k miles). My higher mileage truck was around your price range originally. Comes down to care of the vehicle, inspect it before you buy it and make sure you know its history. Both were daily drivers and did great. Some comfort features can be added but it's always going to be a truck.

Totally agree to get the truck you want, chances are your wife will rarely drive it. Benches a must for kids but can be added to a ST for about a grand, they seem to come up for sale in waves.

I have a 1983 110 now and be warned you'll more than likely put more money into that truck to get it where you want it than you will a NAS 90. There are numerous build threads on those trucks where you can see the money leaking on the garage floor. They are just older. Some repair shops seem to double the cost for things as soon as you have a Defender so make sure you find a reputable mechanic you trust if you aren't willing/able to do the work yourself.

Hope that helps,
Alex
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Great advice on the wife negotiation! (She's about to get a BMW wagon, so I think I've got a little credit built up!)

Someone mentioned re-painting as a way to get the Arles Blue I'm coveting. How hard/expensive is that paint job?
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Depends how good you want it to look.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
Great advice on the wife negotiation! (She's about to get a BMW wagon, so I think I've got a little credit built up!)

Someone mentioned re-painting as a way to get the Arles Blue I'm coveting. How hard/expensive is that paint job?
Like barry said ... To do it properly you need to strip the vehicle completely, otherwise it will just be a blue on the bits you see ... Basically it will be a mongrel ... as an extra bonus it will be worth less if you wanted to sell it ...

If you must have a blue truck ... Be patient and get a blue one ...
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Is there anyone in the Denver/Boulder area that might be willing to help me check out this '94? Would love to have a knowledgable eye and I'd definitely make it worth your while!
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I will be in Denver in 2 weeks.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Alex lives there and knows her way around a defender. Just keep making lefts
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Not mine. Here is your chance. CL in SF. Blue 1994 ST for $26k. 93k miles. Pretty light on the pictures but its in your backyard.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2210085779.html

Cheers.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I disagree that a d-90 cannot be reliable... even on the modest budget you suggest. I have owned three rovers, all very reliable. I owned a '69 series IIa, an '84 d-90 (current) and a '04 Range Rover (current). The '84 d-90 has been the most reliable of all. The only issue I've had in over 2 years of ownership has been the fuel shutoff solenoid (not a big deal or expensive item to fix). I find the 200 tdi to be very dependable. The key is to check maintenance and upgrades. I got mine from Chuck Lemoine who is a member on this site. The truck was brought over from the UK and cost $14,000. Cosmetically, I've recovered front seats, removed all body trim and prepped the truck for a repaint, replaced front floors and doors / hinges (used new takeoffs found on this site)... and did some minor welding (it wasn't nearly required, I am just anal retentive). Regardless, I did the projects while driving the truck and now have a really solid, dependable and very nice looking truck (most people who don't know the vehicle assume it is near new) while being under $20,000 complete. Loads of other upgrades and maintenance issues were tackled before I bought. I'd take my time and find the right truck (one with a good service / upgrade history). Mine literally came with a 2" thick folder full of upgrade paperwork). The only issue you mention that might be very limiting is the "color" issue. Its much more important to find the mechanically "right" vehicle. You could always repaint at some point. Finally, any truck that is used for offroading is likely to have compromised reliability and increased maintenance / repair costs.
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:04 AM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
defender-heads:

i've gotten thisclose to a couple d90's that fit the bill ('95 SW's... no diesel) and am hot on the trail of another one on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180694354634). really appreciate the advice and enthusiasm so far. while anything under 100k miles seems to be up around $30k for a 94/95/97, i've actually sniffed a few with 100k plus for closer to $20k. very stoked.

anyone live in arizona that:
- can recommend a mechanic to check this one out?
- may have seen this one around?
- would be willing to help me look at it (i'll definitely make it worth your while)?

also, some other questions for the experts:
1. i'm going to try to put a bench seat in the back for the kids' car seats. i've seen some great posts on this an wonder if anyone has installed a bench seat and kept two jump seats behind?
2. has anyone used or made any roof racks they recommend for lumber? i was thinking of putting a couple pvc sleeves over the rear top bars to facilitate rolling sticks up there.
3. what goes wrong around 100k miles?
4. if you had $1k for upgrades/modifications... what would you do?

apologies if i'm re-treading any forum topics. this site is a maze of great stuff that i've spent hours lost in.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Best bet is to get out there if possible or, if not, call the owner and get a lot more info on the history and repairs. What, when, and by whom.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
4. if you had $1k for upgrades/modifications... what would you do?
I'm assuming this $1k you've set aside is in addition to a buffer of $3-4k you've already set aside for your initial and emergency maintenance for your first year? Unless you know the previous owner personally, and how he/she kept the truck up to date with maintenance, a good maintenance buffer/budget for your first few months/years to bring it up to par, and for the just-in-case situations is key.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If it's in Tuscon send it to Falconworks, the local Rover Indie. Don't know about the rest of the state.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:47 AM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Sounds like it's in Tuscon and Alan at Falconworks already knows the vehicle. Thanks for the rec. Anyone in Tuscon seen this truck?

I'd love to say I have the $3k-4k to stash for the inevitables, but honestly the purchase is about all I can afford at the moment. I suppose that's not a rational way to get in to a Defender, but rationality is not the main motivator here anyhow. Mostly just asking about favorite upgrades because I'm already dreaming about what I'd do to mine. Had a '81 Scrambler back in the day and had that thing dialed in to a perfect level of minimalism that I've been jonesing for ever since.

No love on the lumber rack question? Jump seats behind a bench seat? I'm surprised there hasn't been any cheeky answers to the "what goes wrong at 100k" question yet...
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Did the seller tell you why he took the external cage off?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, d90