Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wanted: 40qt Fridge

Looking for a good used 40qt or thereabouts camping fridge, Engle, ARB, whatever. Prefer something on the east coast, DC area.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Jon,
I was reading prior posts this morning on refrigeration and ended up going on craigslist today and picked up a Kolotron for $40. It won't freeze stuff but I am going to be using it on the weekends for camping. Not sure if you want to go the inexpensive route but I couldn't see paying 500 plus for one. There is a company in Santa Ana (near L.A.) that has I think the Whynter on sale on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Whynter-...item27bf938b64
This is a 45qt for $460
Might be a good place to try.
Clay
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hmm, they don't look too bad and have decent reviews.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
that looks like the exact same unit as the edgestar that is sold @ compact appliance.com and other places. they have at least one other brand name they are sold under. Been using one of those for about 2 years now, no major complaints. 12v cord kinda sucks, temp control seems to be about +/- 3 degrees so I don't know how that compares to other brands. it ran my battery down overnight occasionally, but I was trying to start a diesel engine with a little petrol engine sized battery that is was in the truck when it came from the UK. haven't had any issues since going with a big sears diehard platinum.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

obviuosly you want to look at the power draw on the "off brand" fridge. The Engel draws less than one headlight. Also, you should look at the time it takes to get cold and how well it insulates when turned off. Overland Journal did a nice Fridge comparison a year or so ago. I am sure you can search their archives and find it.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
power draw on the "edgestar" fridges is twice the engels and arb's. My truck still starts in the morning no problem. Any fridge will drain your battery if your setup is not up to snuff. The more expensive fridges do have advantges. But, they are more expensive, so...
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Been doing a lot of reading on the fridges. Sounds like you get what you pay for, which always seems to be the mantra of course. The Edgestar appears the same as the Whynter, and a 43qt can be at your door for $460. They both have about 50/50 mixed reviews on quality. People either love them or hate them. It's whether or not it's worth the gamble or spend the extra $300 on an ARB or Engle.

I was told by Lucky8 that they are getting in some IronMan fridges that are supposed to be pretty good and fairly priced: http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html

Semper Fi!
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

the Ironman seems pretty good. Looks like it's manufactured by the same folks that make the ARB. Most all of the Ironman stuff seems to be very similar to ARB.
I think you do get what you pay for, in most all things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted