Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wanted: 2009-10ish Audi A4

I figured it's worth a shot here. If anyone is currently (or thinking of) selling their A4 please let me know.

Also if anyone is heading to an auto auction this week and there's going to be a few A4s there, let me know.

It's for my girlfriend. She seems to like the ones with black interiors. Needs to have rear seats that fold down. Around 60k miles is fine. Quattro also desired. Clean title, etc.

Also if you have any horror stories about these years, let me know that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Ugh.

My MIL just turned this one in and it could have been had for about 22k....

http://www.benzelbusch.com/inventory/audi-a4-AU158M

Find somebody turning a lease in. I will also ask my neighbor at work who has 2 A-4's on lease (turning them in this summer).
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Ugh. My MIL just turned this one in and it could have been had for about 22k.... http://www.benzelbusch.com/inventory/audi-a4-AU158M Find somebody turning a lease in. I will also ask my neighbor at work who has 2 A-4's on lease (turning them in this summer).
Yeah let me know please. Is your iMessage broken again? When did she turn it in? That thing would have been perfect - although more than I'm looking to spend that'd been a smokin' deal that would have been hard to pass up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:39 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

You sure your going to be able to fit in that car Josh? Dan could fit, you and me not so much I would think.
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I am almost positive that these vehicles had big oil consumption issues.

It's worth a google.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:27 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Bump.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
I am almost positive that these vehicles had big oil consumption issues.

It's worth a google.
He's already got a Defender... I'm sure it won't be that much different.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:45 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
He's already got a Defender... I'm sure it won't be that much different.
Some did eat a quart between oil changes.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
That's how the S60R is if you drive it somewhat aggressively. A local guy that did a 300tdi conversion was doing about a quart every 20 gallons!
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Some did eat a quart between oil changes.
If you are lucky. Not too mention the FSI motor needing to have the intake removed around 50k to clean all the carbon fouling.

I would look elsewhere.
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:54 PM
BigWalker
Pete Ricci
1965 Series 109 V8 Automatic

Registry
49,912 miles asking $22,900
http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/1586/2008-Audi-TT
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, no dice on the coupe. We have a 60+ lb dog with long legs who takes up a ton of room, and a girl who packs 2 bags-worth of clothes for a 2-day weekend. I honestly don't want another car, but she and I both agree that the D90 just isn't the ideal primary car that we both can use. She's also apparently a little picky about the interior accoutrements. I showed her the Prius V and she hated the interior - not that anyone is supposed to be wowed by it. I like the Fiat, but she doesn't think it's large enough and for whatever reason doesn't like the styling I think.

She liked the A4 because of the Quattro, the rear seats that fold down, the nice interior, how reliable my old one was, how reliable all of her dad's Audis have been, the range on a tank of gas, etc. I'm going to look at a few more Toyotas and see what she likes, but so far we've found a ton of 2009/10s with under 65,000 miles around the $16,000 mark both at dealers and by individual sellers.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:01 PM
BigWalker
Pete Ricci
1965 Series 109 V8 Automatic

Registry
My son is thinking of getting rid of his crosstour and getting an A4 anyway
GR has other A4;'s and its fun looking at their inventory they were good to deal with too
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

As a current Audi A4 owner, I feel it is my responsibility to warn any potential future Audi A4 owners about the misery that is owning one of these machines. I purchased my A4 back in 2006. Back then my coworker, also an Audi owner, warned me that I'd be getting myself knee deep in future repair bills. He did tell me that, for a sedan, its a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

I didn't listen to him and bought my A4 anyway. He was right. It is a lot of fun to drive, particularly the manual transmission version that I opted for. He was also right about the repairs. Within months of buying the car it had to go back to the shop several times for one thing or another. In fact, there's a running joke in my family that as soon as I fix one problem with the car, another problem crops up almost immediately. By far the worst problems are all electrical, making them trickier to resolve for DYI people.

There are also frequent mechanical problems as well. I've had problems with the suspension, the fuel pump died on me within the first 40,000 miles (while going 75mph in the fast lane, not fun), three out of four window regulators died, the sunroof refuses to close, the steering bushings gave out before 50k miles, the AC system leaks, the radio antenna has broken twice, the engine throws CEL codes ALL THE TIME FOR NO REASON making it impossible to pass smog on the first try. I've lost track of the number of coil packs I've had to change. The engine has had compression issues. The list goes on and on.

By the way, the antenna isn't a classical antenna on the exterior of the car. It's nothing more than a fancy circuit board with a ceramic antenna tucked behind the roof liner above the rear passenger's heads. The cost for a new one? $380. The ceramic always cracks and results in you not getting any radio reception until you grab a spare from a salvage yard or shell out for a new one.

Now you may say that my car is older than the one that you're interested in. Hey, they might have fixed a lot of those problems. Nope. Just as I received my warning about buying an Audi, I had warned my other friends who were interested in buying one. They also did not listen to reason and ended up buying A4s. One of them has had her car in the shop three times within the first year or owning it. The other one purchased her 2011 A4 brand new from the dealer only to need a complete engine replacement before hitting 10,000 miles.

These cars just are not made well. They are absolutely awesome when they are running. The driving characteristics, the interior, the sound system, the transmission, everything is great about them. Until they break. And when they break they are not cheap. I just gave up on it and now use it as my beater car to go to and from work. If you want a German sedan, buy a 3 or 5 series BMW. They may have their fair share of problems, but nowhere near as extensive as Audis. I've owned both and there are two days in my life that I regret. The day I bought my A4 and the day I sold my BMW.

I hope my rant is useful to you. I know the venting was helpful to me
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yikes. I loved my old A4 (2004?) but I only owned it for like 3 years I think until I sold it and moved into NYC. It only ever needed oil changes, tires rotated, etc. and whatever was scheduled with Audi for scheduled maintenance. I guess I'm jaded in thinking this will be a similar experience? We're planning on heading out tomorrow to potentially buy one at a dealer, or another that is still CPO'd nearby.

I tried showing her the Prius but she hated the interior. Most of the BMWs are $7k more, but I guess that has to do with resale due to dependability? There were so many horror stories with my friends' parents' 7 series and the land rovers from the BMW years that I'm wary going that route. She doesn't want a Camry, but I'm trying to push her toward something dependable, "cool", nice inside, gets good mileage, has lots of room or has rear seats that fold down, and that handles well in bad weather such as snow (which we get a lot of here).

Oy.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

I'll be honest, I still catch myself looking at new Audis. They are very nice on the inside and out. They're just so damned unreliable that I can't in good conscience but another one. I will admit that the all wheel drive did save me from a huge wreck during a bad storm.

If you're looking for something reliable, how about a lexus ES? She doesn't have to know its a Camry in disguise I'd also recommend a second hand lexus IS but they're not as roomy. Perhaps an Infiniti G37 sedan? My cousin had one of those and loved it. She regrets returning it at the end of her lease.

I've considered getting a Prius as well. The downside is that it isn't a well rounded vehicle. It's simply a practical car. Not one to handle harsh weather or snow comfortably. I also found it flimsy on the freeway. I test drove one near Tracy, California where most of our area's wind turbines are stationed and I felt as if the car was being blown all over the road.

Yeah, there is an high premium on BMWs. The good news is that if you buy it second hand, most of the depreciation has already hit the car. The additional amount you spend on it now, will also be reflected in the resulting sale price should you ever decide to part with it. Then again, you can go the Audi route and save up front. You might get lucky and not have to ever spend that money on repairs.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Yikes, I didn't know Audi were shit these days. I traded my B6 S4 on my NAS90 years ago and still miss the sound (full Miltek) and the drive. But my favorite was the B5 A4 1.8T that was my first ever new car in '99. Even with the stock K03 but with a re-program it went pretty good.

Josh - why don't you guys just get an LR3/LR4 or L322? They have 4WD and the dog will be plenty happy in the cargo area. I am sure the fuel economy of an A4 is better but how much are you guys going to be driving it? For NYC area driving and the shitty roads I'd get one of them.

Or if MPG are your concern what about a VW tdi Wagon? Or a Merc W211 diesel. My wife's W211 E500 estate was a great car.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Sportwagen TDI or Passat TDI

Snow tires and Quattro stops mattering. Buy new and watch it hold value well. The four cylinder gas turbo audis are crap. Everyone I know who has or had one makes it sound like p38a rover ownership.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:36 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah I'm trying to steer away from SUVs as we'll have to pay another $100+ a month to garage an LR3 or other SUV. We were talking tonight and agreed we need to find some Jetta tdi's or something else to check out.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yeah I'm trying to steer away from SUVs as we'll have to pay another $100+ a month to garage an LR3 or other SUV. We were talking tonight and agreed we need to find some Jetta tdi's or something else to check out.
Gotcha on the SUV and extra garage costs. I'd do what Ron said - VW Tdi Wagen and a set of Hakkopolekias on steelies for the snow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted