Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Turn signal/horn switch

Wondering if anyone has a working blinker/horn switch. My blinkers are going in and out, mostly out these days.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

relay problems?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Had a similar problem on my '85 truck. Disassembled the turn signal switch and turns out it was working just fine. Problem was somewhere in the hazard switch or wiring.

Really not much to go wrong in the turn signal switch as it is very simple - just three contacts and a brass cylinder contactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

problem

Have a similar problem if my hazard switch is not fully disengaged no blinky!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Hmm. It started one day when I left the vents open during a rain storm and they didn't work till the next day. I took the steering console apart yesterday and unplugged the wires and plugged everything back in and still nothing. I did notice that one wire got up to 133 degrees when the headlights were on. Yikes!

It certainly seems simple enough so that's why I just figured it was the switch.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
Hmm. It started one day when I left the vents open during a rain storm and they didn't work till the next day. I took the steering console apart yesterday and unplugged the wires and plugged everything back in and still nothing. I did notice that one wire got up to 133 degrees when the headlights were on. Yikes!

It certainly seems simple enough so that's why I just figured it was the switch.
The turn signal stalk has three wires for the turn signal. They are there to connect the blinker bulbs to the flasher relay through the hazard switch (one wire to the hazard switch, the other two for the left and right indicators). There's nothing inside the turn signal stalk that could short out - the three contacts are physically separated from each other by thick plastic walls.

Still would check the wiring and the hazard switch first.
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

I have new switches but I would suggest the flasher (likely water ingress). I bet theres water in the flasher.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Well what exactly is the flasher then? Is that the hazard relay?

I checked the connection behind the hazard switch and pulled apart a few times but still no go.

------ Follow up post added June 27th, 2011 12:17 AM ------

FWIW my switch makes the quick blinker noise like a bulb is out, so ultimately I think the switch must be ok, right? If not I'll buy one from you Stephen.

And BTW, you guys are great. I post something in the wanted section and I get replies about how to fix the thing!

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The EP26-style flasher relay is designed to flash a bulb on the hazard switch itself, as well as the blinker bulbs.

What the turn signal stalk does is connect either the left or right blinkers to the EP26 flasher relay output.

The hazard switch connects both sets of blinkers to the EP26.

If the flasher relay is blinking quickly as if there is a bulb out, it is sensing a change in impedance in the connection to the blinker bulbs.

There are three wires coming out of the base of the turn signal switch. Do not disassemble the turn signal switch at this point. Use a multitester and test for continuity between the three wires with the turn signal in the neutral, left and right positions and the output pin of the flasher.

I'm going to have to put up a wiring diagram if I can make one.
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I'm refreshing this because after a week of flashers working, now they are not working again.

I opened the fuse panel and found the little clicker box that makes the blinker noise in the cabin. It definitely had bad connectors due to water ingress. I took it off and cleaned up the male pins and when I connected it to the turn signal pigtail I could get it to work properly a couple of times by tapping on it but then it would go to the rapid clicking again. This must be the culprit.

Is this the flasher relay mentioned above?
I searched for the above mentioned number and couldn't find a source for that part. I did a search for the number on my part, picture attached, and couldn't find a source for that either.

Any help in solving this silly issue would be appreciated.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3052886231.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	40185   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175464479.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	40186  

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
You can use any generic 4-pin EP26 flasher. Available at any Autozone, Pep Boys, Oreillys, etc.

The reason you need an EP26 is because the EP26 is designed to flash a light on the hazard switch itself.

If you plan to switch to LEDs make sure you get an "electronic LED flasher" version of the EP26.
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Thats the water damage I suspected. I have the OEM flasher but if it were me I would head to autozone.
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok great. Thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
horn, signal, switch