Sub woofer box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Gabedefender
Gabe salazar
1994 defender 90

Sub woofer box

Hey guys anyone know where I can find this item? I pulled it from a former thread from east coast rover.
Factory sub woofer box for a Defender 90
,thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	65371  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Do you absolutely have to have the factory type? They're fairly prone to breaking.

I have this

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&d=1316392008

made by Carey Knause, who used to make them for ECR, and I'm sure he could build you a more durable, higher functioning, better performing box than the one you attached above.

Here's the thread.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=25609&page=2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subwoofer enclosure.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	65373  
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Gabedefender
Gabe salazar
1994 defender 90

Thanks Josh,
I like the clean look of the Factory option but ill def look into the custom box. Your box looks nice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 07:01 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Thanks for the props Josh !
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I went with a ibus 20 from focal... Surprising amount of base from a small 8 sub but focal wouldn't sell it unless it was top of class. Mounted to the door like the previous pic but its low profile and complete with amp... You should check it out...
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I went with a ibus 20 from focal... Surprising amount of base from a small 8 sub but focal wouldn't sell it unless it was top of class. Mounted to the door like the previous pic but its low profile and complete with amp... You should check it out...
Photo of this installed by chance?

How do you guys run the wiring?

Alex
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Mine was already pre-wired with some good stuff, so I just piggy backed on that. But you just run it along the same channel as your rear passenger speaker (pull new wires for both) then it just goes back behind the speaker box and then through the 3rd brake light hole near the tailgate.

Mine is also low profile like Mark's (all details are in the other thread), and as Carey will agree I was a pain when it came to weight, so I was delighted that it all came in under 21 lbs and is only a few inches deep.

Here are the details for those who don't like to click links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Project completed and it's awesome, so I figured I'd share. I had a few things I wanted to accomplish with my new subwoofer and especially enclosure. It was going on the tailgate, so it had to be light - like all in under 25 lbs light. It also had to be slim enough to fit behind the rear bench seat, CLEAR the floor-mounted seatbelt bracket (the original enclosure that came w/ my truck didn't clear it!!), had to be a 10" sub, rhinolined (both to match, but more for weather durability), EFFICIENT (you wouldn't believe how many subs are overly power-hungry), and of course had to sound amazing. Carey Knause (EWR) and I did a bit of back and forth on this, talking about the best way to go, and after a few months he finally offered to build an enclosure for me - and assured me he would build one better than any of my other options, and optimized to the sub's Q based on the one I would provide him. It took me a month or two to pick out the JL Audio 10W1v2-4, which optimized both the low profile feature I was looking for, as well as performance and budget for my 10" sub. $140 and free shipping at the time (which I used to ship to him) for this sub.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15

Carey built me an enclosure measuring 16"x19" and I think 7-8 inches deep, as well as under 21 lbs, which INCLUDES the enclosure, rhinolining and my sub (enclosure weighs only 12.5 lbs!!). The sound is CRISP, deep, and easily distinguishable at highway speeds, adding an enjoyable element to one of my favorite parts of going for a drive...listening to tunes. Here's a pic for everyone. Highly recommended. The sub's grill goes on next.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Fwiw. I didn't instal a sub amp box combo for the following reasons:
1. Need to run 4 wires to the rear
2. One of the 4 wires will be hot at all times
3. To mitigate interference, it's recommended to run power down the opposite side of speaker wires
4. Power loss in a long run of power lines

I am sure these concerns are debatable but just wanted to share anyways for your consideration.

Go with Carey. I believe has done a lot of custom stuff for ECR...that you probably already love.

Good luck.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post

Photo of this installed by chance?

How do you guys run the wiring?

Alex
I will get a photo of it and post it for you... Wiring is going same route that windshield wiper & defrost wires go through the door.. Then it goes along the window trim and down the rear front door pillar under the front carpet and ends up at the head unit and battery box...
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Fwiw. I didn't instal a sub amp box combo for the following reasons:
1. Need to run 4 wires to the rear
2. One of the 4 wires will be hot at all times
3. To mitigate interference, it's recommended to run power down the opposite side of speaker wires
4. Power loss in a long run of power lines

I am sure these concerns are debatable but just wanted to share anyways for your consideration.

Go with Carey. I believe has done a lot of custom stuff for ECR...that you probably already love.

Good luck.
1. If you are running two, its about 90% the effort of running four...
2. Amps are frequently located in the trunks cars. Especially when doing professional level installs... The better amp give off heat and you don't want to suffocate them if possible... So unless, which I've seen, you run a second battery back there, they run power wires to the rear.... It is only 12v....
3. Use good power cables and RCA cables and don't twist them together... The power is dc which causes much less interference than ac power...
4. You won't get much of a drop in the run we are talking about...

It's not ideal... But it's a great sounding solution at relatively low costs that is much closer to acoustic correctness than a bazooka tube...

P.s. I have been "into" home audio and car audio for well over thirty years.... I have some experience in the matter...

Josh.. Sounds like a great sub box with everything you needed/wanted ! Great when the projects work out
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I have this sub and it made a huge difference in the sound on my ST
From not hearing any music with the top off on the highway to cranking tunes.
Its not just an enclosure I think, it has a hole in it near the pass lower side and maybe that helps with something? It has passages in it for lack of a better term.

I got mine new back in the day and had the whole thing coated with resin inside and out to help with any water issues if I got caught in the rain or too deep in water.
Its held up perfectly.

If someone wanted to duplicate them like they have the inner door panels they could use mine as a template.
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Could we see some pics? I'd love to see the positioning in the truck.

The hole is a port and allows for better air movement and for a quicker displacement of the sub as it moves up and down, as the air doesn't give as much back pressure and pull. Depending on its size and shape the box can be tuned to perform much better at certain frequencies but its a give and take thing.

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my setup when I visit the truck... It should be done soon and on the road..
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Gabedefender
Gabe salazar
1994 defender 90

Yeah... Wanna see pics.
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

if anyone can find them, I had posted pics like 12 years ago of the setup and a few have emailed me over the years asking about it.
Not sure how to find them?
Ill see if there are some on my computer
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:27 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/subwoofer.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted