Soft Top opinions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Soft Top opinions

Need a new soft top for my NAS 95 D-90, anyone got opinions on these options?

1) Atlantic british, Best top, cheapest at 950.00 or so

2) Badger Half Cab set up:

-Gutter kit worth it?
-Does half cab seal or are there open vents to outside in drop curtain?
-Can you slide drivers seat back with half cab?

3)Badger full size top, most expensive, worth the money? (rovers north has a full soft top about the same price)

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
This same thread pops up every few months, and the answer has always been the best is Badger (aka do a search). If you're on a budget or need it next week, go elsewhere, or see if someone will part ways with theirs. The Badger materials are superior, will not shrink like some of the others, and he stands behind his name and his products.

I have the full Badger 1 with gutter kit, as well as the full drop curtain which I run almost year round. I think the fit around the vertical bars of the gutter kit could be designed a little better to keep the top snug and in place, as my top never seems to create the best seal inbetween the gutter kit vertical hardware. The gutter kit horizontals are perfect, and keep the top very snug - perhaps the velcrow strap-down system used there could/should be used on the verticals as well, as on the horizontals it is a superior design.

I also have the half cab set-up for the gutter kit - which includes the half cab top, full drop curtain and half tonneau for the rear. The half cab top actually seals better around my roll bar that enters the B-pillar than my full top does. Regarding your drivers seat and the drop curtain - it probably depends, would be my answer. The drop curtain has large velcrow sleeves that go around the sides of the B-Pillar, and these can be loosened a bit to accomodate more seat travel in the interior, but it has its limits. I would say it seals pretty nicely overall.

For me at least, the biggest weakness of the gutter kit has been the vertical piece, and the seal that it makes (or doesn't make). I do not get much water ingress, but the wind does come through there.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Badger full top.

I think you can do without the gutter kit personally.
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Thanks for the great feedback! My soft top doesn't even come close to meeting the door frame, I use piper insulation to keep the gap closed.

But now I am tempted by the fastback option for sale on this forum.

Joe
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

One more question, is there a significant noise difference in the half cab set up versus full soft top, and again between a best top model and a badger?

I know there will be some difference with a half cab, as the full top will always have some drumming/wind flap.

I have significant sound proofing in my truck to avoid losing more of my hearing, the only noise I find objectionable is the drumming/flapping with the wind at high speeds, or on a typical windy day in colorado.

Thanks
Joe
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Full top badger coachworks top (I would recommend the Badger II since you can turn it into a surrey easily) combined with the drop curtain will be BY FAR the quitest ride.
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
Full top badger coachworks top (I would recommend the Badger II since you can turn it into a surrey easily) combined with the drop curtain will be BY FAR the quitest ride.
It makes a lot of noise with the sides rolled up. If you live somewhere that you go months with the sides up I suggest the badger 1
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It makes a lot of noise with the sides rolled up. If you live somewhere that you go months with the sides up I suggest the badger 1
wanna trade?
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:55 PM
thehundredth
PJ
1995 D90 Beluga Black

I'm selling my BRAND NEW Badger GK 1 soft top. Has Gutter Kit, Storage bag, New Door Seals, Porche Antracite color. Value close to 4k. for $2200 obo. The top has never even been unfolded! Everything unused. -Phillip 323/327-7572

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
soft top