Shipping a Container of Parts from the UK to the West Coast - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old February 9th, 2016, 12:44 AM
jashof
Jason Hoffman
1986 90, RHD 200TDI

Shipping a Container of Parts from the UK to the West Coast

I'm new here so please let me know if there is a better place to post this, but I'm planning an overland trip up north in Canada (BC/Yukon) this summer and I want to get my Discovery Series II and D90 set up with some upgrades and after market parts. Looking at the exchange rate and the prices in the UK, i'm curious if anyone else is interested in doing a larger order and getting a container to the West coast (likely seattle or portland).

Let me know if interested or if someone is already doing this and I could participate.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 12:59 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Your best bet is to get ahold of Brian Hall at Defenders NW down here in Gig Harbor. He's my go-to guy for several reasons:

- He's already running regular containers from the UK to Port of Tacoma
- He's already buying Defender parts (Genuine and aftermarket) in bulk and has excellent prices
- He's an encyclopedia of Defender knowledge and a terrific guy!

DEFENDERS NORTHWEST

https://www.facebook.com/DefendersNorthWest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you have only looked at parts cost, and think you have savings over buying from a US vendor, be sure you load up the cost with shipping plus customs duties on parts and value of your time.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 10:14 PM
jashof
Jason Hoffman
1986 90, RHD 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If you have only looked at parts cost, and think you have savings over buying from a US vendor, be sure you load up the cost with shipping plus customs duties on parts and value of your time.
I'm definitely open to advice from anyone who has gone through a similar process. I'll be sure to tally it all up. I'm still just in the exploratory phase on this but given that I am going to be spending north of ten thousand bucks on getting these two vehicles set up, I think it's worth considering all the options.

Duty appears to be less than 3% for the items I was looking at initially, based upon the duty calculator I used. Shipping an entire 20ft long container is about 2500 pounds sterling port to port.

Some things are cheaper here and some are the same cost across the pond but many other things are difficult to find here much cheaper there, some by 50% or more in the UK right now.

It seems that some rover clubs in British Columbia share container loads on occasion. Of course this only becomes feasible if a sufficient number of people need a sufficient number of items at a sufficient level of discount.

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2016 07:16 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Your best bet is to get ahold of Brian Hall at Defenders NW down here in Gig Harbor. He's my go-to guy for several reasons:

- He's already running regular containers from the UK to Port of Tacoma
- He's already buying Defender parts (Genuine and aftermarket) in bulk and has excellent prices
- He's an encyclopedia of Defender knowledge and a terrific guy!

DEFENDERS NORTHWEST

https://www.facebook.com/DefendersNorthWest
I found him a few weeks ago on the net and my plan was to go visit him when I get back in town in March. Loved his site. Looks like he has a lot of the staples I'll need so I'll definitely hit him up.
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As someone who has done 80+ containers from the UK I'd suggest that you piggy back on a commercial entry container like Brian's as suggested above.

A 20ft personal entry container can easily cost you $10k before you ever put your hand on the latch to open the doors.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:44 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Personal I would NOT piggyback on someone's container. While it may seem like a "cheap" alternative it rarely is. Delays, damage, and missing items will quickly sour your enthusiasm on that overseas gem you found. Find yourself a good freight shipper and pay the extra cash to ensure prompt delivery without the headaches of the piggyback container.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:22 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I bet NWD would be willing to sharpen their pencils if you did the leg work of identifying the part #'s, matching your pricing plus a reasonable mark-up and sharing in shipping costs on an order that size. Seems the best of both worlds.

Duty is 2.3%. State sales tax can be managed.

Old February 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
Personal I would NOT piggyback on someone's container. While it may seem like a "cheap" alternative it rarely is. Delays, damage, and missing items will quickly sour your enthusiasm on that overseas gem you found. Find yourself a good freight shipper and pay the extra cash to ensure prompt delivery without the headaches of the piggyback container.
A cheap alternative in international shipping ? Keep in mind that you have to pay some one in the country of origin to receive your freight and carefully load your container. This expense can be all over the map. Many warehouses don't want to be responsible for delivery's of anything smaller than pallets of freight and typically charge a fee to receive ea delivery. Having someone inland whom you trust can add significant cost over using a warehouse @ the port as you have to pay to have the container dropped off and picked back up.

Not sure whom you have dealt with but I know Brian having handled his first few entries and know he would help this fellow out.

A commercial entry where the consignee has a continuous bond in place, and Customs has had no issues with previous shipments, typically goes more smoothly than personal entries, ie they are less likely to do an intensive exam. My comment was to the cost involved with a personal entry container where the contents are Land Rover related. The probability that customs will tag the container for an intensive exam are high-ie over 90%. Those costs can easily double or triple your costs. The ocean freight for the container ends up being the cheap part.

It pretty much goes like this, US Customs Advance Targeting see's land rover related freight on the electronic bill of lading and tag it for exam before arrival.

There is no consideration given/shown by Customs to the financial impact of any of the following:
Vacis exam(xray) $230 or so varies port to port(done even though they have decided to open box)
Bonded trucker to move container out of port to exam warehouse $575
Bonded warehouse unloads container for customs staff to inspect varies but typically $1000-$1500
Daily rent on container after arrival until returned empty $100-$200 daily depending on the line
Storage to bonded warehouse- daily varies but typically $100+
Port gate passes and chassis rental to port $150-$250

A quick intensive exam is 4-5 days. Many take 10 days or more. These inspections are typically where things get damaged, the container is unloaded and reloaded-often carelessly (heard about one where the vehicles were re-loaded but not chocked or strapped in when reloaded-you can imagine the damages incurred by the normal starting and stopping from ea intersection as the container was moved to where it could be unloaded).
You have no recourse. Had Customs take a crow bar to a brand new unlocked door on a 110 once because the latch wasn't easy to open....

Once all these costs are paid the container is allowed to leave the exam warehouse so you still have to hire a trucker and move the box to your commercial location with loading dock and the trucker has to return the container to the port yard. This is usually another $500-600

Recently - 2 weeks ago, I handled a 20ft for a private individual/forum member through Long Beach Ca. His exam took 10 days. Total all in costs for just the container (ie no customs brokerage or duties etc) was over $9k. Last summer a client wanted to ship two 101's loaded with tools and parts in a 40ft box from the UK to Baltimore. His costs were similar and the exam only took 5 days.

Just saying, proceed with knowledge of what the actual costs are. These aren't horror stories, this is the norm for entries that went smoothly in this period of "Operation Atlantic".

Here is the why:
http://www.cbp.gov/frontline/2015/01...de-enforcement

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Uncle Douglas hits the nail on the head....

Last time I was at Raymond Blvd clearing a personal vehicle there was a gentleman there trying to get them to help him issue a "copy" of a BoL. His 40ft container with meat from Europe had been in the US for 28days and USDA wouldn't release the container to him because a courier had lost his original BoL that customs had stamped. I left before the conversation ended but I doubt the guy got his "meat" I think after 30days they incinerate food left uncleared / unclaimed.

I have been thru "x-ray" containers, I have had agricultural holds on dirty parts and I have been thru fumigation of containers .... it all sucks and it's completely unpredictable.

Rover on.
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:27 PM
jashof
Jason Hoffman
1986 90, RHD 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
It pretty much goes like this, US Customs Advance Targeting see's land rover related freight on the electronic bill of lading and tag it for exam before arrival.

There is no consideration given/shown by Customs to the financial impact of any of the following:
Vacis exam(xray) $230 or so varies port to port(done even though they have decided to open box)
Bonded trucker to move container out of port to exam warehouse $575
Bonded warehouse unloads container for customs staff to inspect varies but typically $1000-$1500
Daily rent on container after arrival until returned empty $100-$200 daily depending on the line
Storage to bonded warehouse- daily varies but typically $100+
Port gate passes and chassis rental to port $150-$250

A quick intensive exam is 4-5 days. Many take 10 days or more. These inspections are typically where things get damaged, the container is unloaded and reloaded-often carelessly (heard about one where the vehicles were re-loaded but not chocked or strapped in when reloaded-you can imagine the damages incurred by the normal starting and stopping from ea intersection as the container was moved to where it could be unloaded).
You have no recourse. Had Customs take a crow bar to a brand new unlocked door on a 110 once because the latch wasn't easy to open....

Once all these costs are paid the container is allowed to leave the exam warehouse so you still have to hire a trucker and move the box to your commercial location with loading dock and the trucker has to return the container to the port yard. This is usually another $500-600

Recently - 2 weeks ago, I handled a 20ft for a private individual/forum member through Long Beach Ca. His exam took 10 days. Total all in costs for just the container (ie no customs brokerage or duties etc) was over $9k. Last summer a client wanted to ship two 101's loaded with tools and parts in a 40ft box from the UK to Baltimore. His costs were similar and the exam only took 5 days.
Thanks for all the info. I had now idea this was such a horrible idea. This sounds more like an organized crime extortion racket than trade port operations. Its a wonder why anyone would ever import anything from the UK given what you have described. This certainly makes the shipping by the piece offered directly from the UK sellers sound much more reliable and cost effective. I wonder how they are able to do it?
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:27 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I have some friends who are Americans who lived in Bolivia for the last ten years. They just moved back to Oregon with a container shipped out a few weeks before they left. Between Customs inspections and the longshoremen holding several ships hostage, it took them six months to get it off the ship.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:48 AM
JaxFl
Ryan
1985 D90

Registry
FWIW, what Uncle Douglas says is true...in some cases. The vast majority of what he described is a series of worst-case scenarios.

With proper planning, proper partners, and realistic expectations, most risks can be greatly mitigated, and timelines can be expedited IF your local port partner has the appropriate relationship with local CBP. I stress IF, because CBP grants huge amounts of "discretion" to local officers to handle business as they see fit, as long as they are following the general guidelines. If you are pressing for special treatment as just another guy in line at the CBP office, you're likely to get turned down. Find a partner in the port that has those direct relationships with CBP, and the likelihood of a bad & unnecessarily expensive import experience decreases significantly.

I know this because I have done it. I am a warehouse operator in the southeast and have imported for myself, as well as assisted friends on a non-commercial basis. Some shipments go smoother than others, but the reality is that, as with anything, it's often a case of "who you know" achieving more than "what you know."
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:13 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Yep it's like dealing with the cosanostra

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
part, parts, shipping