Searching - 110 5dr - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old March 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Searching - 110 5dr

I joined this site not too long ago to educate myself as best I can. Unlike most of you on this site, I have not had the fortune of owning my dream Defender yet but I’m willing to be patient and find the right one. The search is exciting.

Bottom line: I’m planning to take the next 12-18 months to find the right one. I wasn’t going to post for a while because it seems foolish to post “what I’m looking for” when I’m still about a year+ from finishing my current project and am ready to make this dream a reality. I appreciate your collective knowledge and would be interested in your thoughts… sort of a vector check (am I crazy?).

The final Defender is something like the attached image.

Details:
  • Diesel w/manual trans and Puma hood (I just like that look)
  • LHD, 110, 5dr SW, dark gray
  • Boost/Dual finish alloy wheels
  • Roof rack, some front/rear roof lights, and winch
  • 7-seat XS / half leather seats
Plan to get there, going one of two ways.
Option A: buy a decent project Defender and do a combination of hired work (chassis, bulkhead, engine, paint) and work myself (interior, re-assembly, roof rack, hood, etc).
Option B: buy a Defender post-rebuild (for cost reasons, not one that was freshly rebuilt, but one that has had the chassis, bulkhead and, ideally, engine refurb’d/rebuild) and finish the aesthetic modifications from there.
Obviously, it’s really easy to find a project Defender that would fit the bill to kick off option A. I’m really looking for something which is more complete, rebuilt, and falling into the option B realm.

-- Overall budget: about $60K
-- Preferred build risk: Low
-- Not interested in importing (not a risk I am willing to take)

Do you think there are other ways to get to the end goal? Is $60K enough, or am I budgeting too little? I understand if I had $100K to throw at it, it’d be easy to make it happen with a bespoke route, but I don’t. I think $60K may be a stretch but, unless I’m completely missing something, it’s possible.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender Project Visual.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	91035  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 03:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Like this?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51919
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
I'm with Josh.

That 200tdi truck is the right one.

gonna be hard pressed to build one right for under 60k anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Thank you - I knew I had stumbled upon something really close, but I forgot where it was. Yes, very much like that one. I wish I was able to buy right now but I'm tied up in a business startup (hence the 12-18 month timeframe). Sadly, I doubt that one will still be available next year...
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
There is another one that landroversuk.co.uk built at the same time as that one for a guy who lives down here in downtown manhattan. I've been meaning to check it out, but I haven't found the time. I forget what he wants for it, but I htink it's somewhere around $80k...but he asked me if he was crazy to ask that and I told him yes...so I'm assuming the price is negotiable. It looks the same as the one above, but has different colored wheels. I think it's on dupont registry right now or something.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

It pains me to think my best option might be to let that one go and wait for another one like it. The odds of that happening seem so low.

------ Follow up post added March 10th, 2014 03:16 PM ------

I'm been checking Hemmings and there is a nice one (http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...0/1611349.html).

I haven't been checking Dupont as often as I should. I'll take a look.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:32 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

I've been seeing a lot about landroversuk.co.uk but have been steering clear because of the need to import. I'm not a fan of taking that kind of risk... but maybe that's wrong of me? Has anyone had personal good/bad experience working with them?
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I wasn't recommending them, that's just where that truck came from. They don't have the best reputation with some members on this forum, but that truck seemed to tick most of the points on your list that's all.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:45 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

You're absolutely right - that one nearly fits the bill to a T, down to the color. I might just need to be patient and keep my eyes open for something like that to come around next year and "hope" the timing works out well. I'm just not a fan of "hoping" - too passive.

I guess it makes sense exporters and shops have a better chance of rebuilding a Defender like that than I do starting from a project. Simple economies of scale. I can't compete with a shop.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post
I've been seeing a lot about landroversuk.co.uk but have been steering clear because of the need to import. I'm not a fan of taking that kind of risk... but maybe that's wrong of me? Has anyone had personal good/bad experience working with them?
You don't want to import but link a truck in Canada that is a poster child for why US Customs is on a rampage ?

Please use the search feature to research landroversuk.co.uk

and then read the entire "whats legal" thread

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 10th, 2014, 03:59 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Thank you - just searched and came across your throughts about them from last month. Enough said - I'll stick with state-side trucks -- importing is a wild card I don't want to touch.
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Doug is correct. Search is your friend to learn. And Doug would be your best friend were you to import.

Rivermike is a great option for you. He refreshes solid LHD trucks. I'd look to him when the time is right.

I've done a bunch of research over the years on the ROW import stuff. There are some good people selling like Rivermike, and importing help from Doug here. I've talked to Mike and have seen his work up close (like a 110 doublecab TDI that blew me away) as well a bunch of trucks that Doug has imported. This is probably the place to find at least a base of what you want, then repower once it gets here. Although in 12-18 months, some of the first 200tdi-based trucks "should" be importable
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

I appreciate it. That's largely why I joined this community: to figure out the right way to get this done, and find the good people doing this the right way.
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

I think the intent of my original post was not clear. My post was not asking what's legal or how to import. Simply, I am was just looking for some feedback if I am budgeting enough and if anyone would recommend a project-build route (option A in original post) or buying a near-finished rebuild (kind of like those from Riverhouse) and finishing the details from there.

The last thing I wanted to do was create yet another discussion about legal/importing/etc. I should not have sent the Canadian Defender link - that just confused the intent altogether.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags