Roof Bike Rack Wanted - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
bugula
Keith DuFresne
'94 AA Yellow 90

Unhappy Roof Bike Rack Wanted

Yeah, I know it's a long shot but I'm looking to get away from using my bike hitch because it's just not as secure an option as I'd like.

Anyone have any leads on where to pick up the stock version or maybe an alternative suggestion (at this point I'm honestly considering going with a Safety Devices safari basket and getting Thule or Yakima bike mounts for it.

Thanks,

keith.

Follow-up Post:

after some more digging I'm wondering if Yakima's Lowrider would work. BA said they tried and they didn't but it appears they work on Xterras and from photos, their tubes seem to be about the same thickness as the 90's. There's also the X Tower by Yakima.

Anyone had success with either of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Tom Adams has the yakima crossbars for sale in another post. I used that setup for awhile and it works well for bike racks. The only issue is that you have to climb up on the truck to mount and dismount the bikes. Even with treadplate on the fenders its pretty awkward. Now I have the full SD ladder and a custom rack, and I just attach my velo vices when I need to.
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

if you search the forum for "X Tower" you might come up with something. One guy on here did a set up with those towers. I was looking for a similar solution too. I bought some X Towers and they will fit around the roll bar. then get Yakima A1s with extensions for the rear of the truck because they need to be taller than the Alpine Windows. I have a set of X Towers that i will sell ya. I never mounted them and they are brand new. I just never put my bike on top but rather threw it in the back of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM
bugula
Keith DuFresne
'94 AA Yellow 90

Jim, thanks for the head's up - it doesn't look like he's selling the feet though - they're the tough part to get.

Daniel: I'm running a ST so it sounds like the X Towers would be all I would need after a Trip to REI for the bars and mount accessories? If so, I'll take 'em - send me an email (bugula AT gmail DOT com).

Thanks to both of you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
ac, rack, roof