Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
bamanuke
mike hall
'97 alpine white sw # 0127

Registry
ready to buy, members help me out,first post

'94,'95,'97 defender. let's say, less than 80k miles, ac required, sw preferred, no rust issues and preferably within 250 miles of Dothan,Al (southeast Al).

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a 2002 Key Largo 206 cc (boat)w/150 sw merc that i would be willing to include in a trade on any fairly local d-90.

I would also like to hear member comments on the white '94 on Ebay in Colorado. It lloks like a nice truck but buying one from out west automatically adds 1000+ bucks to the price, so right now it looks like it's going to geto out of my price range. Sorry for rattlin' on, thanks in advance,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
1994 90. I don't know anything about it personally, but I did see it the other day.

http://www.blueridgeroverworks.com/id2.html
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:32 AM
bamanuke
mike hall

Registry
Thanks Jeff. That's what I'm looking for. I'll give them a call this evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamanuke View Post
I would also like to hear member comments on the white '94 on Ebay in Colorado.
You would take a Defender out of Colorado? Sacrilege I say! Sacrilege!

Old January 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
bamanuke
mike hall

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
You would take a Defender out of Colorado? Sacrilege I say! Sacrilege!

well not much luck doing so so far. there was a 97 le on ebay the end of December (Colorado Springs, I believe) I was getting the shipping lined up and it got pulled off the same day it was posted. I should have pulled the trigger on the buy it now (30k). live and learn
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Not sure if you will get a good deal,but landroversforsale is located in your state. They always have inventory. Birmingham I believe.
And I love you too
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's best you actually see and test drive one before you buy so local is good, but don't rule out buying across the country. This increases your choices significantly, especially in the rust free department, and it's a buyers market so I think you can negotiate down the cost to cover shipping.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
bamanuke
mike hall

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
Not sure if you will get a good deal,but landroversforsale is located in your state. They always have inventory. Birmingham I believe.
thanks. i have been looking at their website and they are selling on ebay. i prefer to buy from an individual that's not making a living selling vehicles but if the right vehicle came along at the right price from a dealer that would work too. thanks again,
Mike
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Keep in mind there are D90s with 80k that are rusty and mechanically unsound and there are D90s with 200k that are in great shape. Have whatever you buy inspected by someone in the know.
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
bamanuke
mike hall

Registry
thanks for the input. i am new to the land rovers but own a couple of cj's, so i'm not going into this totally blind. it looks like we are pretty short on the d-90 inventory in this part of the country, so i'm pretty darn open to a good vehicle at a fair price. i would still be a pretty leary of a 200k mile vehicle that didn't have an extensive service history. right now , i'm just looking for one that doesn't need anything. thanks again,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Keep in mind there are D90s with 80k that are rusty and mechanically unsound and there are D90s with 200k that are in great shape. Have whatever you buy inspected by someone in the know.
------ Follow up post added January 19th, 2010 08:39 PM ------

something along this line is what i would prefer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:08 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I'm a CJ guy also. Owned and built several over the years. If I could tell you anything, trust what you hear here. These guys are not sending you in a bad direction. Be patient. I have seen a few TDI rovers set up nicely go for a real fair price. Don't shop for your Defender like you shop for other cars.
And I love you too
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamanuke View Post

------ Follow up post added January 19th, 2010 08:39 PM ------

something along this line is what i would prefer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
My view is to buy something higher miles, but little to no rust and not abused or heavily modified. There seems to be this, in my view, irrational price premium for low miles trucks. While this might be sensible if you are paying a dealer to do all the work, the mechanicals tend to last quite well (other than overheated motors or abused manual transmissions) and replacement motors are next to free (I have two 3.9s sitting here for $200 a pop if you wanted one and a disco 4.0 motor--same as a 97 D90 is $500 at most). Same with axle parts, T-cases, auto transmissions etc. Take your 30k 1997 D90, you could buy a higher miles one (like chris von c's blue 1997) for 10k less or even cheaper. 10k buys you a new galvy frame (3k) and a new 4.6 short block (2500) and money left over. Sure it is work or money to install the frame and the motor, but in the end you will end up with something you can keep nearly forever.

Ron

PS Chris Von C's D90, 20k asking, 143k miles, been offroad but does not seem to have been abused.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14603
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Bama Man:

My old D-90 just got traded in on a G4 Disco at Land Rover Nashville. It is a higher miles truck (under 140K ... though) and super maintained with NO RUST.
It is a 94 in Conniston Green.

Contact Kelly Graham at 615-986-6000

Not sure of the price on the truck, but at least it is close enough for you to look at it and test drive it.

It is a great truck though. Miss that ole gal!

Dendy
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:42 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

easy big fella

Mike,
As a fellow Southerner I'll help you out (as other are trying to do). Take a deep breath! This is THE PLACE to get great advice on the D90. Most everyone hear will help you out for the love of these old trucks. Unless you just came from the Dr.'s office with bad news, Be Patient. The key is to buy the right truck the first time. Most will have 100K or so, don't worry so much about miles. I have a '94, brother has '94. sister has a'94, brother has a '95 and two Series IIIs in the mix. ALL great trucks because we bought the right truck the first time and maintained it well.

Owned 30+ 4wd's since age 13. All the good ones! A good rule when first starting out is to PASS ON THE FIRST FIVE trucks. After that you will be so much more knowledgable than before and you'll make a good decision. It is a GREAT time to buy. Every week terrific trucks come along for incredibly low prices and guess what another comes weeks later. More great trucks out there than buyers. Be patient.
Read the forum. Learn what to look for and know it when you see it. Find the right truck and pay the shipping or as a great friend does. take your kid and go bring it home. Twice he has done the cross country road trip with each daughter. Shipping is peanuts compared to getting the wrong truck. An honestly if a couple hundred bucks makes the difference stick with the jeep. Nothing about this truck is inexpensive. It will outlast a CJ many times over but the buy-in is always there.
I am a Jeep guy, Scout guy, Land Rover guy, Land Cruiser guy, Power Wagon guy but I make it a habit to buy the right truck.
Be patient and you'll enjoy your truck a long time. Good luck!
Jim
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
PS Chris Von C's D90, 20k asking, 143k miles, been offroad but does not seem to have been abused.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14603
+1 on this. Has the desirable exo cage too.

If you haven't checked out LRX you should as well.

http://landroverexchange.com/

hth
charles
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
bamanuke
mike hall

Registry
thanks everyone! i just knew someone would be out there and let me know that there was one for sale in the next county and in great shape! ha. no joke, i appreciate all the info and time that you have spent responding. i'll be sure to post a nice pic when i have one sitting here at the house.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey wait.. It's illegal to buy and remove Defenders from Colorado.....

Seriously the words of wiz from the board LOOK<LOOK<LOOK<LOOK and learn all the while, then buy..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
michaels
mike
2004 DII

you're 3 hours south of me. cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted