radiator frame top plate -- tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

radiator frame top plate -- tdi

I would assume as a result of the installation of the disco tdi radiator and intercooler, the knuckleheads that installed it didn't line it up quite perfectly. The brackets that attach the top of the radiator frame to the inside panels of the fenders didn't line up so they welded them in place where they "fit." In doing so they covered two of the bolts holding the rad frame sides to the top. Genius. I wound up cutting holes in the brackets to access the bolts but would like to come up with something slightly more elegant for reinstallation.

Anyone have the top plate and the side support brackets?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Mine(300tdi conversion as well) has one of the top brackets but I need another one for the other side. RN gave me a quote on another one but I remember it being kinda expensive. Wonder if it would be good to have these fabricated?? I'll see what my local guy would charge and let you know if you don't find any.

Also what transmission do you have? I've got the lt77 and makes the 300 sit way too far back so there 8-10 inches between the cowl and the rad fan. Makes my temp go pretty high since there's no fan sucking air through my rad. I bought a cowl for a 2.5 from boss man on here as it looked like it would fit. Gonna have to run some hoses around it to make it work but I think it'll lower my temps a bunch. How's your fan/cowl situation?
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I may well just fab something up, I think it'll be easier in the long run.

I have the LT77 from a disco, so the shifter sits back AND there's a gap at the front like yours. I'm switching to an electric fan. That combined with the radiator I"m having built should take good care of keeping it all cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

how did that intercooler fit?
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Hasn't arrived yet. And the rad is a week to ten days away from being rebuilt and I dropped the radiator surround off to be powercoated, so it'll be a few weeks before it's all buttoned up.
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Yeah I'm thinking of installing the electric fan too. Have the cowl and the electric fan, that should be the ticket!
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

In my view, the proper way to handle it is to buy the 300tdi R380 and new driveshafts and mounts and make it factory. I know others think it is better with the motor further back.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Are we talking about the slam panel or....?
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
In my view, the proper way to handle it is to buy the 300tdi R380 and new driveshafts and mounts and make it factory. I know others think it is better with the motor further back.
When this transmission goes I will likely source the short bellhousing from ashcroft and and least get the shifter back in position. Moving the running gear forward 4" so that you can fit the "right" radiator shroud doesn't appeal to me, though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
radiator, tdi