R380 Tunnel cover - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

R380 Tunnel cover

Where do I find a Defender R380 tunnel cover? I just picked up an LT77 version from RN but I have the rounded bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunnel cover.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	25978  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM
jetmech
Dave McHenry
1984 Landrover 90 CSW

Try George at rovers down south. I just got one from him last week.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
More important than the bulkhead is what transmission do you have? Aside from not mating up to the bulkhead and seatbox, the opening for the shifters are in different locations. I got a good deal on a used r80 tunnel from Safarirover. They are also readily available on ebay uK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney View Post
Where do I find a Defender R380 tunnel cover? I just picked up an LT77 version from RN but I have the rounded bulkhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
Try George at rovers down south. I just got one from him last week.
I emailed him and he said he didn't have any, maybe he thought a Series, I'll try again.

[QUOTE=Ren Ching]More important than the bulkhead is what transmission do you have? Aside from not mating up to the bulkhead and seatbox, the opening for the shifters are in different locations. I got a good deal on a used r80 tunnel from Safarirover. They are also readily available on ebay uK.
[QUOTE}

200TDI, LT77, LT230 I checked ebay uk, I'll try Safari rover.

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2010 07:11 PM ------

Is this what I am looking for? Does it need the cowel too or is this it? I can't remember what my 110 looked like.

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2010 07:22 PM ------

[QUOTE=bcourtney;211998]I emailed him and he said he didn't have any, maybe he thought a Series, I'll try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
More important than the bulkhead is what transmission do you have? Aside from not mating up to the bulkhead and seatbox, the opening for the shifters are in different locations. I got a good deal on a used r80 tunnel from Safarirover. They are also readily available on ebay uK.
[QUOTE}

200TDI, LT77, LT230 I checked ebay uk, I'll try Safari rover.

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2010 07:11 PM ------

Is this what I am looking for? Does it need the cowel too or is this it? I can't remember what my 110 looked like.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-R380-...241510002r4875
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Some one correct me if I'm wrong here - but it looks to me you have the correct parts (The LT77 Tunnel and the bulkhead cowl) - because I believe you said you have a LT77 and 200TDI (same arrangement I have)

So the R380 tunnel won't work for you (shifter opening ends up in the wrong place) - unless you upgrade to a R380 tranny. This requires a special short bell housing, input shaft, and a few other parts (about $500 from Ashcroft Transmissions) to mate to the 200 tdi.

Trouble is, you have a new, R380 bulkhead - it appears the cowl is already mounted to the bulkhead - which is why the LT77 tunnel doesn't match up. I read in one thread that this cowl can be removed and the one you have riveted to the bulkhead. You may need to add more metal to the bulkhead in areas to recieve the LT77 Cowl becuase IIRC, going the other way (r380 cowl to a LT77 Bulkhead) requires some cutting/removal of metal.

I'm going the opposite direction (heading toward putting in the R380) so have also been trying to get my head around what parts are needed where. I'm looking at needing the R380 cowl and tunnel and the tranny bits I mentined before. You have the bulkhead I'd need if I wanted to go that far....

This is all from what I've read, until I get my but in there and do it, I'm pretty sure I've missed a bunch.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Probably going to be much easier once I actually get my drivetrain in. Right now it is in a container somewhere in the Atlantic. Just trying to be pre-emptive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	25993  
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That picture so kicks ass. I love series. Even if it is just a purty galvy frame.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Bob

You have the correct tunnel pieces for your drivetrain. You will want the seatbox from an early 90 4 cylinder as well. There is an outfit in CT that has a good deal on one at the moment, look on ebay.

To the other poster, if you use the short bellhousing r380 as you propose, you still use the old 4 cylinder "lt77" floors.

I'll try to sum it up as best I can. There are as far as I know, 2 types of bulkheads. There are early v8 and 4 cylinder bulkheads that have a very wide "house-shaped" opening to accomodate the wide and short bellhousings of the 4 cylinder engines that sit back very close to the firewall There are later bulkheads from 300tdi era onward that have a narrow upside-down U shaped opening that is only large enough to accomodate the longer bellhousings of the v8, 300tdi, td5 and later transmissions.

Thhe earlier bulkhead with the wide opening can be used with the "lt77" style tunnel that you already have as pictured in your first post, or it can also be used with an adapter piece that will allow one to fit the later fiberglass r380 style tunnel.

If you have a later firewall with the narrow opening, you can only use the r380 tunnel. Unless, you modify the firewall by enlarging the opening to the size of the opening on the early firewall. This would be easy to do by just tracing the edge of the early lt77 tunnel piece onto it and marking the holes. You'll want to drill ou tthe holes, and file them to the correct square size to fit the correct plastic screw inserts. (same ones that go in the lower lip of the footwell among other places)

That said:

Short bellhousing lt77: wide opening bulkhead and two piece metal "lt77" tunnel cover
Short bellhousing r380: wide opening bulkhead and two piece metal "lt77" tunnel cover
300tdi r380: narrow opening bulkhead and fiberglass cover
NAS V8/lt77 or 380: narrow opening bulkhead and fiberglass cover

it is possible to fit the longer narrower gearbox such as 300tdi and r380 under the old wide opening bulkhead and lt77 tunnel but there are issues that need to be dealt with in order to do so.

Hope this clears things up a little bit. early v8 4speed stuff might be different too, not really sure. Anyway, you should keep the tunnel you have, and cut your bulkhead to make it work like an older one.
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Thanks Ren, I saw that seatbox I will make on offer. I just got a new battery box for mine from RN, but I can return that.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:00 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry to go OT but can we see more pics of your garage setup?
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I should also add a bit to this. Since you have a series truck or at least a series frame, I would set it up first and see what you can make work before buying anything more. You might need to do bulkhead work beyond the tunnel cover anyway.

Ron
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
He shouldn't need to. if anything is going to need modding it will be the frame. I try to give out good info and you just cloud the waters.

Remember, Ron's info is free and only worth what you pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I should also add a bit to this. Since you have a series truck or at least a series frame, I would set it up first and see what you can make work before buying anything more. You might need to do bulkhead work beyond the tunnel cover anyway.

Ron
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
He shouldn't need to. if anything is going to need modding it will be the frame. I try to give out good info and you just cloud the waters.

Remember, Ron's info is free and only worth what you pay for it.
I defer to you Ren. The only series I have seen with the LT77/200tdi is Peter's 109 and he had to mod his bulkhead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
cover, r380