Portals - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 1st, 2015, 12:05 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Check out the build pic's on Giggle Pin's FB page of Jim's new (last yr) truck, running 37" Treps I believe with minimal lift.

As noted above minimal lift will get you into 35's depending upon how much flex you want in the suspension. Mine's got 4" of lift but I got lots of flex too... I could go up to 37's but them at full flex on the front I'd be just into the front outrigger at full lock, 36's would be ok though.

Build thread here - http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ods-36827.html
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2015, 12:41 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

I've shared this before, but just as an indicator of how suspension travel does not have to result in silly ride height, here are two shots of a truck we recently built. Depending on how the struts are set, the truck usually sits about 3" higher than stock with 35's, and it can use all 14" inches of their travel both front and rear. That D2 is on 2" springs with 255/85's for comparison.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I've shared this before, but just as an indicator of how suspension travel does not have to result in silly ride height, here are two shots of a truck we recently built. Depending on how the struts are set, the truck usually sits about 3" higher than stock with 35's, and it can use all 14" inches of their travel both front and rear. That D2 is on 2" springs with 255/85's for comparison.

-Ash
Great looking truck!

You have my dream tire on that build - the SSR-41R (35x10.5x16 Interco Super Swamper)

Too bad they are so much coin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:22 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I've shared this before, but just as an indicator of how suspension travel does not have to result in silly ride height, here are two shots of a truck we recently built. Depending on how the struts are set, the truck usually sits about 3" higher than stock with 35's, and it can use all 14" inches of their travel both front and rear. That D2 is on 2" springs with 255/85's for comparison. -Ash
What type of three link is that?
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Great looking truck!

You have my dream tire on that build - the SSR-41R (35x10.5x16 Interco Super Swamper)

Too bad they are so much coin!
They're a pretty solid tire, and I was actually really surprised with them around Utah. Obviously they work great here on the East coast, but they were nice and flexy aired down and hooked up great, even on some of the tougher climbs where the ground was loose.

With that said, I really wish more companies offered skinny 35/36" tires....maybe something a little friendlier on the asphalt that offered respectable mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
What type of three link is that?
It's the remnants of an old SG 3-link. The axle truss remains the same, but the crossmember was custom built to accomodate the 2.8/ZF combo, and the lower link was rebuilt to be longer, and Johnny Jointed to get rid of the weird center pivot.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:50 PM
supercharged67gt
Andy
64 series IIa x3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Check out the build pic's on Giggle Pin's FB page of Jim's new (last yr) truck, running 37" Treps I believe with minimal lift.

very good build there... but... his truck sits a lot higher than it looks... its around the same height as mine ( mine being alittle bit higher - future plans = lowering a bit lol)
Old May 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Ash, I am converting the 90 to a tray back. The problem I see with modifying the suspension is you start to get too tall. I want to keep the overall height as low as possible. I understand i am going to have to modify the fenders. More like a high fender kit on the JK. I have some Dana 60's I can use but portals would be so nice.....
Portals offer no advantage to keeping overall height lower. In fact, the COG is probably higher because your axles and diffs are higher with them.
Old May 1st, 2015, 02:52 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Out of curiosity, if one were to custom design bolt-on portal boxes, what would be the ideal gear reduction at the portal?

1:1?

1:1.3?

1:1.5?

1:2?

If bolt-on portals could offset some of the, say, roughly $1000 cost of going to 4.75 crown gears, then they could become more economical. If they could offer the equivalent reduction of gearing to 5.31 crown gears or other "impossible" ratios, then the offset could be even greater.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:11 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

I'd say as close to 1:1 as possible.

You're married to it in both low and high range, so even with a modest re-gear in the diffs you're suddenly geared too short for the street with any substantial gear reduction in the portals.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old May 1st, 2015, 11:08 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Ain't no way to really build cheap drop boxes unless you have your own lathe & milling m/c., even then getting gears hobbed is still a big ticket. I did some designs a few years ago using laminated laser cut plates to build the boxes but it just got way too expensive.

Better option I think is to build a set of 609 axles, decent strength, cheapish internals and a whole lot lighter than a Mog or Volvo one. Redrill the D50 TTB hubs to LR and use your existing wheels, if your already running TW drive shafts they'll be 1310 u/j's so just take the LR flange off & bolt onto the 9" pinion yolk.

BTW, I did some work on a set of Volvo C303's back in the UK, about put my back out lifting one... Fricken heavy !
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

High range can be helped by a 1.0 ratio LT230 out of an 83-85 RRC with the V8 and rover TF727 auto. Bigger tires, volvos off a C303 (numerically lower than the 6x6 C304) and the 1.0 ratio LT230 is about perfect. If you fit the axles to a leaf sprung rover, they are nearly bolt on. The diffs are in the right place, the leaf spring mounts are in the right place (just need to redrill the locator pin hole a smidge), diffs are the right length etc.

There is a guy on expo who has portals and seems to have done a lovely job with his 110.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:19 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I've seen you wheel Capt Milks; you don't need portals for those fire roads....

Now that is just not right.....We missed you at Oak Ridge last weekend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted