Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 30th, 2015, 04:26 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Parts to mount A/C to V8

Gents,
I am getting ready to add A/C to my 4.6 V8. One of the things I am having trouble figuring out is mounting the A/C compressor to the engine. Seems simple, but I am struggling. Maybe you have some advice or parts lying around you are willing to sell?
It does not currently have a mount on the engine to hold the compressor. Where the compressor should go is where the alternator currently sits. I have attached a picture. What I would like is to find a bracket(s) that will mount the compressor where it should be and move the alternator to allow this.

The engine is a 4.6 V8 that was made by RPI engineering.

Hopefully, there is someone with experience with mounting accessories to these engines can help me out.

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfaris View Post
Gents, I am getting ready to add A/C to my 4.6 V8. One of the things I am having trouble figuring out is mounting the A/C compressor to the engine. Seems simple, but I am struggling. Maybe you have some advice or parts lying around you are willing to sell? It does not currently have a mount on the engine to hold the compressor. Where the compressor should go is where the alternator currently sits. I have attached a picture. What I would like is to find a bracket(s) that will mount the compressor where it should be and move the alternator to allow this. The engine is a 4.6 V8 that was made by RPI engineering. Hopefully, there is someone with experience with mounting accessories to these engines can help me out. Graham
Wouldn't the easiest option be to go to a pick and pull and take the bracketed off a disco?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 30th, 2015, 05:37 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I have the bracket set for the serpentine belt set on the early serpentine engines 93 to 99, 3.9. 4.2, 4.0 disco1 and classic range.
I don't know how much I paid for that. Let me know if that is what you are looking for and we can work a deal...I'm on a deal making mood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:55 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Its currently V-belt. Im not opposed to switching to serpentine, but that might be another can of worms. If its doable I need advice on that too.
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
you will need a rrc or defender set up. The compressor bracket bolts to the front of the right side head, ie where your alternator lives now. You need a good bit more that the compressor bracket and tensioner based on your picture.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:22 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Any suggestions where to go for the whole setup?
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rob Bass 240-899-8173

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 30th, 2015, 06:57 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Thanks
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:49 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
nevermind, the serpentine conversion begins with the newer timing cover, water pump, p/s pump, idler, tensioner, harmonic balancer, bolts and all the pulleys...
easier way to achieve such is by going to a junks yard, preferably a pick a part, locating a mid 94 to late 95 disco 1 or 94 95 classic and pull the timing cover with distributor and all the front of engine parts.

with your current set up, you need to find a 87 to 93 range and take anything related to belts ...
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:25 PM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

On a RRC, the power steering pump mounts fairly low on the left side, it looks form the pic like yous sits up higher. There's a bracket that bolts to the head behind the P/S pump which mounts the alternator just above the pump and uses an odd belt and pulley arrangement with the alt. belt being driven by the crank pulley but going around on both sides of the P/S pump pulley. The A/C compressor mounts to it's own bracket along with the belt tensioner on the front of the right cylinder head.

I've parted a few RRCs and have everything you need to do this swap. Alternatively, if you should decide to go Serpentine belt, it's quite different and you will indeed (as mentioned above) have to change the timing cover and all accessories. And a few fittings as well. The A/C compressor mounts completely different from the V-belt compressor and the fittings on the lines are different as well, and new lines may well have to be fabricated by a hose shop depending on your evaporator and condenser connections.
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:07 PM
ghfaris
Graham
1984 D-110

Definitely staying V-Belt for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
ac, mount, part, parts, v8