new bfg wont balance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 25th, 2003, 04:49 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

new bfg wont balance

tried to have my new mud terrians balanced fri. would not happen. they would start out with 8 0r 9 oz when he frist spin them and evey spin he kept adding weight and they still didnt end up balancing.the 3 of the tires all ended up with 13 to 16 oz. the last tire started out saying it need 18 oz,he didnt balance that one,if he would have tried my guess is he would of had over 25oz of lead on that tire.is this normal?purchased them from the tire rack, could they be bad tires? is it my rims? maybe his machine?he said had his machine serviced 3 months ago. buy the way they are 255/85 16 bfg mud kms on factory rims and i had them keep the weight on the inside of the rim with sticky and clap on weights.any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry i put this post in the wrong spot can it be moved?i gues i can think of it as help wanted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Matt, I run that exact tire and size on LR rims with the weights on the inside and had no issues whatsoever. You are right to assume that something is wrong. Maybe try another vendor? I had mine done at discount tire if that helps. Are you having trouble with all the tires?

Best of luck,
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:18 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

art-3 of the tire he put weights on and the still did not balance out to 0. the 4th he didnt even try to balnce because of all the weigth it said.is there a way to tell if its more of the tire or the wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Matt, I would carry the tires and rims to another shop. Something is more than likely wrong with his balancer, if it gives those results on that many tires. I could maybe see this happening if you were running a big tire (40 in or bigger), that is REALLY out of round, but not on a standard tire like that.

Chris
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald
97 D90 SW

Hi Matt,

I just mounted mine, same size, stock alloys, etc.. I dynamically balanced mine and didn't put that much weight on. I typically put 2-4 oz 180 deg out on either side so static balance would have been in the neighborhood of 1 to 3 oz out of balance. I'd say settings or calibration on machine, to second the previous post. I have always had good luck getting round tires from BFG. Good luck.

Tom
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have not tried this but you may want to look into this stuff. http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/ .
Has anybody out ther used this??? Good???Bad???
Old October 26th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Don't use it if you like to air down your tires! I know someone that has the stuff and it take forever to ai down because of the speical valve stem you have to use. I have also heard mixed results as to how it works.
Old October 27th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

DO NOT USE EQUAL! It is total shite! Heres what you need to do. Pull the weight on the tires and drive around on them for about 300 miles. Heat those suckers up. Take that thing 80 for as long as you can. Heat cycle them many times and then go back to the tire place and balance them. If there is an issue after that then you got a bad batch of tires or the tire place is full of idiots. Good luck!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
bfg