Needed: Winch, Bush Bar, Soft & Hard Tops etc for D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old February 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Needed: Winch, Bush Bar, Soft & Hard Tops etc for D90

My 1997 D90 will be arriving this week and despite my best efforts to get one of the biggest Land Rover Dealerships in Canada, based in Toronto to install a brand new winch, upgraded springs, bush bar, soft and hard tops, a roof rack and other items important to me, they failed miserably! They have lost about $15,000 in additional accessory sales and installations by their total inability to handle what should be a very install of these items, but I guess the D90 is just too rare a beast over the border.

I hear Rovers North are probably the best in terms of quality and quantity of LR accessories etc, but I was wondering if:

1. Anyone could recommend other companies.

2. Appreciating the elusiveness of a brand new hard top and given that new isn't always the way to go, I wondered if anyone had any of the above items for sale.

3. I am guided by the wisdom and experience of others on this board who might suggest better alternatives as far as the winch is concerned. My D90 is air conditioned, either by design or fault! lol

Cheers for your help,

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Did they fail to source these items or what? I'm sure some dealers just cant do anything anymore thats not in the LR parts catalog. It also is worth saying that the LR offerings for winches, bumpers, springs, etc are very generic and may not suit your needs, unless your needs are styling.

The other items you want are either available higher quality in the aftermarket (soft top) or not readily available (roof rack and hard top).

I'm continually disapointed with Rovers North, either they supply shoddy goods at top dollar prices (deflex poly bushings), ship the wrong parts, or ripoff their suppliers (Badger).

Sounds like you've got $$$. Send your truck down to Mike at ECR and get everything done right.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:31 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Buy everything and put it on yourself.....That's half the fun. Congrats on the new truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
The following is my personal opinion:
All of this can be installed yourself, or locally. Installing yourself is easy and usually a hell of a lot more fun than paying some local garage to do what you can do in your driveway.

To save some money on shipping, you might want to get all or most of the parts from the same place.
You can get the springs from just about any supplier, Atlantic British, Rovers North, etc...
Winches can be bought for cheap off ebay.
Soft tops can be found at Badger or OEM is still available at some parts dealers.
Hardtops come up here used or can be found at Rovers Down South, if they still have one.
Don't pick out a winch until you decide on a bumper. Many bumpers are winch specific and will only fit certain winch sizes. So, take a good look at your bumper choices. Search "winch bumpers" and ask questions about them all before making a decision. For example, ARB's are great looking, but are heavy as hell and screw with aproach angle. Good luck.

OR....

You can send me $15,000 and I'll take care of it for you!! Just kidding, of course, but all this stuff is fun and easy to round up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus 1
My 1997 D90 will be arriving this week and despite my best efforts to get one of the biggest Land Rover Dealerships in Canada, based in Toronto to install a brand new winch, upgraded springs, bush bar, soft and hard tops, a roof rack and other items important to me, they failed miserably! They have lost about $15,000 in additional accessory sales and installations by their total inability to handle what should be a very install of these items, but I guess the D90 is just too rare a beast over the border.

I hear Rovers North are probably the best in terms of quality and quantity of LR accessories etc, but I was wondering if:

1. Anyone could recommend other companies.

2. Appreciating the elusiveness of a brand new hard top and given that new isn't always the way to go, I wondered if anyone had any of the above items for sale.

3. I am guided by the wisdom and experience of others on this board who might suggest better alternatives as far as the winch is concerned. My D90 is air conditioned, either by design or fault! lol

Cheers for your help,

Neil

97 D90 SW
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:44 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I'm sure you're right about ECR. I like the examples they show on their website, including pics as well as detailed text. I also like the idea of installing as much of this myself; if only my arthritic back would allow me to! I also appreciate you advising of the shortcomings of Rovers North. I shall probably steer clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Did they fail to source these items or what? I'm sure some dealers just cant do anything anymore thats not in the LR parts catalog. It also is worth saying that the LR offerings for winches, bumpers, springs, etc are very generic and may not suit your needs, unless your needs are styling.

The other items you want are either available higher quality in the aftermarket (soft top) or not readily available (roof rack and hard top).

I'm continually disapointed with Rovers North, either they supply shoddy goods at top dollar prices (deflex poly bushings), ship the wrong parts, or ripoff their suppliers (Badger).

Sounds like you've got $$$. Send your truck down to Mike at ECR and get everything done right.
Follow-up Post:

Like the idea of using Ebay for the winch. I'd like something that would go with an intergral bush bar that would take the place of the fender to keep the look simple and uncluttered. ARB seems a good way to go, although the weight problem is an issue. I like Badger because they supply a door seal kit that would mean that I could probably stick with the soft top, even during the cold winters up here. Badger ST's are expensive though, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
The following is my personal opinion:

All of this can be installed yourself, or locally. Installing yourself is easy and usually a hell of a lot more fun than paying some local garage to do what you can do in your driveway.

To save some money on shipping, you might want to get all or most of the parts from the same place.
You can get the springs from just about any supplier, Atlantic British, Rovers North, etc...
Winches can be bought for cheap off ebay.
Soft tops can be found at Badger or OEM is still available at some parts dealers.
Hardtops come up here used or can be found at Rovers Down South, if they still have one.
Don't pick out a winch until you decide on a bumper. Many bumpers are winch specific and will only fit certain winch sizes. So, take a good look at your bumper choices. Search "winch bumpers" and ask questions about them all before making a decision. For example, ARB's are great looking, but are heavy as hell and screw with aproach angle. Good luck.

OR....

You can send me $15,000 and I'll take care of it for you!! Just kidding, of course, but all this stuff is fun and easy to round up.
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Update: Many thanks to those that offered their advice. I have to admit to jumping the gun a bit, as the General Manager of the dealership has come up trumps with a solution to the problems I've had with getting these upgrades completed on my D-90. Following several emails and calls to him and contacting good 'ol Chris at Badger Coachworks, I have with the good advice given on this Board opted for a Badger II which will be drop shipped to me courtesy of the dealership. He also does some very good heated seat units which I've purchased direct. The deal on the Badger II is simply amazing and after the trouble I've had, I have to say the GM is top man!

There's a lead time of 7 weeks, but so what, my heated seats will keep my butt toasty while I freeze my fricken ears off!

Now I just need to track down a winch, bumper, springs, chequer plates, CB, aerial, roof rack, etc etc etc etc.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Talking

Where did you find the heated seats?

Half of the fun owning a Defender is working on them! The Guinness always tastes better after working on the truck...lol

Good luck with your installs!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Hi Mike

Chris at Badger is getting them for me. Two settings available, warm and toasty; $100 per seat. I'm hardy Mike but minus 20 is just too much right now!

I either wait for the weather to improve or I chicken out and take it to my local dealer so that he can charge me mega bucks and take his time as he's never worked on a D90 before and can't understand what all the fuss is all about.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Just search "heated seat kit" on ebay. I've seen pics of the kit with the round button Hi/lo used on at least one of ECR's projects on their web page. I don't think there are any special kits for Rovers, just measure the pad size needed and order.

FYI you can search "power windows kit" and "power door lock kit" and see how inexpensive it is to upgrade this also.

97 D90 SW
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Cheers Shawn, great idea re the window kits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, d90, hard top, winch