Needed advice on possible D110 purchase - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Needed advice on possible D110 purchase

Hello all, I'm hoping a few of you will give your thoughts about a purchase I'm contemplating.

The truck is a 93 D110 (titled as a replica), non-NAS truck. It is Arles Blue but began life as a white truck. Body panels are almost all straight as is the frame.

It is fitted with an Izuzu diesel motor and mated to an auto transmission. Truck has a nearly new interior, SD cage, and no rust that I can spot.

Motor runs very strong but doesn't feel quite right with the auto trans. It shifts a bit rough, I don't know that it is a proper trans for the motor and am working on quotes to have it fitted with a manual.

Seller is asking $30k but it can be had for less. This would be my first Defender, I'm hoping some of you can give your two cents on whether it seems like a decent deal. Sorry this is a bit brief, I'm running late already!

Any more questions please post them up and I'll try to answer straight away.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Hard to say much of anything without pictures. Have you researched and checked all the usual rust spots?
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I took a flashlight to all the usual areas, gave them a tap and they seemed solid to me. I got under the truck and did the same. Nothing I could spot...

I'm on my phone so no photos available right now, I'll try to get them up tonight.

The seller is leaving the country later this week so I think he's fairly motivated to sell. I've been thinking about buying this truck for 8 weeks.

He also took the time to soundproof most areas of the truck, which is nice. But many areas have also been rhino-lined which makes me nervous not knowing what is underneath.

The seller is not a Land Rover guy, and has had his fill of the work,maintenance cost and troubleshooting (particularly the transmission issue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I thought this sounded too familiar. Let's get the ball rolling on this...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...u-Turbo-Diesel

Columbia Rovers was offering it on behalf of your guy who's leaving the country this week. "Wookie110" on the board here is from Columbia Rovers, too...
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Several years ago I chatted with the guy who built it, when he offered to sell it partially complete. Seemed like a stand up guy. The body was supposedly used by Special Vehicles for mockups back in the day and then put in storage. As small displacement engines go, that Isuzu is a really nice power plant.
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

You're exactly right Josh...

The current owner wanted to swap out the motor with a 2/300tdi but each shop in town talked him out of it.

I suppose I'm just soliciting opinions from those of you who know these trucks better than me.

The back story on the truck is a bit convoluted, if anyone has any prior knowledge of this truck please send me a message. Thanks
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
The truck's body looks pretty nice, but we don't know the conditions of the frame, door frames, bulkhead, interior, etc. from those photos. I'm curious as to what this replica title entails - have you called your insurance company to get their take on that? Will you be able to do stated value or will it be worthless in the case of a total loss? Are you paying cash? Financing (again, title issue potential with your bank)?
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As long as it never leaves oregon and the feds don't come knocking you should be fine.
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
classic
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The truck's body looks pretty nice, but we don't know the conditions of the frame, door frames, bulkhead, interior, etc. from those photos. I'm curious as to what this replica title entails - have you called your insurance company to get their take on that? Will you be able to do stated value or will it be worthless in the case of a total loss? Are you paying cash? Financing (again, title issue potential with your bank)?
Insurance company is happy to insure the truck, at KBB value. In the event it is a total loss it'll be replaced at that value. Obviously not ideal. So, not stated value nor worthless in a total loss. Paying cash, no bank issues to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
As long as it never leaves oregon and the feds don't come knocking you should be fine.
This isn't a new Puma being snuck in under the auspices of being an '84. If you've got something constructive to add I'm happy to listen. I don't come here pretending to be an expert, but from what I've found there doesn't seem to be any issue with this truck on the road (outside of potentially NC/SC due to their restrictions on Replica automobiles).
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Would love to see KBB value for this Defender titled as a kit car?

Also I know this for a fact because I have not too long ago helped a friend with his vehicle value ( mind you it was an exotic unit ) and most insurance Co use the average of Book Values NADA and KBB and some go as deep as Black Book and NADA.

Not to shut you down, but if no agreed value, I don't see any real value coming back to you in the case of TL.

Also, get clarification on the rider from the Underwriting Department as to what Liability coverage is provided to said home made unit ( as it is not a replica / kit car from a licensed manufacturer )
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:14 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I started that project, my first ground up build many years ago. Bought the body/inetrior from George, and frame and motor from David Gage- who also did the install. We had it running and moving under it's own power, and a friend of a friend traded me a '84 110 and a 40k mile NAS 90 for it, and he was from Portland area. I had it painted Arles prior to being fitted, and the story I got on the body was it was used by SV doing ABS cold climate testing in Germany. There was no corrosion, frame or body, but this was many years ago. Hope this helps, feel free to pm with any questions. I sold it without a title as it was yet to be completed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Thanks Dale, PM sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
110, d110