Need Help With Buying New D-90... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old February 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Ace
Ace
None

Need Help With Buying New D-90...

Ok, first post here, and I am really impressed with this site and the amount of information that is available here.

I am thinking of buying a D-90, and have always wanted one, but first need some advice.

I would like a Defender 90 with a diesel engine, so that I can convert it to run on WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) I currently have a few Reagan-era mercedes that I have already converted.

Should I look for a D-90 that already has a Diesel engine installed, or look for a low cost D-90 that would make dropping a diesel engine in, cost effective?
I am looking at these engines to use:
1) 200tdi
2) 300tdi
3) 2.4 CRD (in the new Defender)
4) International HS 2.8L TGV
5) or 4BT Cummins Diesel Engine! (with WVO conversion!)
Am I missing any other potential powerplants? (Ford's 2.8L Powerstroke?)

Next question, is there any models that are more desirable than others? (this of course barring limited editions, also specific prefrences will vary for each perspective buyer, but is there one that is more popular than another), also is there a "Holy Grail" Defender model that is highly sought after?

Is there anything specific that I should look for when buying a D-90 (I found some info here that will give me a good start) Like, problem areas, known defects, etc.?

Next question is the value of these vehicles. The price seems to range from one end of the spectrum to the other, and when I try to look up the value on KBB.com it says that there aren't enough made to get an accurate value. Here is my concern, if a D90 is sold for 45K and let's say, tomorrow Land Rover decides to sell Defenders again in the US (and have the go ahead from DOT), looking at the cost everywhere else in the world the new D90 is sold, the price point would be somewhere near the 40K-55K range. What then would happen to the value of the older D90's? Why would someone buy an older one when they can have a brand new one near or below the price of an old one (this of course taking into consideration that some will want them for "collecting" and they are"classics" which are limited in numbers) but would the value hold up when a newer, more reliable powerplant, and warranty, etc, etc is availabale? Just a question, I don't expect to many people to be that subjective here on this subject.

Next is the question of a galvanized frame. This is important because I live near the ocean and I am concerned about the salt air. I am currently restoring a '67 Mustang Shelby fastback and have done a good amount of research to stop the rust on my Shelby, I found and used this on the frame: Por-15
It stops rust without having to get a whole new frame that is galvanized, wouldn't a galvanized frame eventually rust? I am not sure how much more extra strength the replacement galvanized frame would provide? (I think I saw something at eastcoastrovers?)

I would also like to have a soft top D-90, but I had a question: Has anyone tried to modify a SW to have a removeable hardtop? or is this impossible?

I like the following colors (in this order):
Willow Green (I know this is only on the '97 ltd which are auto and SW only. right?)
Black
The lighter green? (not sure the color name)
Yellow
Red

Any other advise you can provide would be great,

and thanks in advance!

Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hi Ace and welcome

Buy one with high miles or a shot engine if you want to throw a diesel in.

I think the chance of a current style defender ever being sold here again are slim to none.

Search the forums for SW to ST or POE conversion. The short answer is it's expensive but can be done.

Everything else including pricing is subjective

hth
charles
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Ok, first post here, and I am really impressed with this site and the amount of information that is available here.

I am thinking of buying a D-90, and have always wanted one, but first need some advice.

I would like a Defender 90 with a diesel engine, so that I can convert it to run on WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) I currently have a few Reagan-era mercedes that I have already converted.

Should I look for a D-90 that already has a Diesel engine installed, or look for a low cost D-90 that would make dropping a diesel engine in, cost effective?
I am looking at these engines to use:
1) 200tdi
2) 300tdi
3) 2.4 CRD (in the new Defender)
4) International HS 2.8L TGV
5) or 4BT Cummins Diesel Engine! (with WVO conversion!)
Am I missing any other potential powerplants? (Ford's 2.8L Powerstroke?)

There is a ton of info regarding Diesel engines on this site. From what I've read so far 300Tdi seems the way to go! If there is a level of authenticy that you're interested in keeping with the Defender, you may want to stay away from the Cummins/Ford, etc.

Next question, is there any models that are more desirable than others? (this of course barring limited editions, also specific prefrences will vary for each perspective buyer, but is there one that is more popular than another), also is there a "Holy Grail" Defender model that is highly sought after?

The Willow Green LE SW and Yellow ST command a premium, especially the 97 year model. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11717

Is there anything specific that I should look for when buying a D-90 (I found some info here that will give me a good start) Like, problem areas, known defects, etc.?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7606
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...read.php?t=757

Next question is the value of these vehicles. The price seems to range from one end of the spectrum to the other, and when I try to look up the value on KBB.com it says that there aren't enough made to get an accurate value. Here is my concern, if a D90 is sold for 45K and let's say, tomorrow Land Rover decides to sell Defenders again in the US (and have the go ahead from DOT), looking at the cost everywhere else in the world the new D90 is sold, the price point would be somewhere near the 40K-55K range. What then would happen to the value of the older D90's? Why would someone buy an older one when they can have a brand new one near or below the price of an old one (this of course taking into consideration that some will want them for "collecting" and they are"classics" which are limited in numbers) but would the value hold up when a newer, more reliable powerplant, and warranty, etc, etc is availabale? Just a question, I don't expect to many people to be that subjective here on this subject.

This is a question that comes out A LOT! It can't come back in it's current styling.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10450

What you want to concern yourself about.

Next is the question of a galvanized frame. This is important because I live near the ocean and I am concerned about the salt air. I am currently restoring a '67 Mustang Shelby fastback and have done a good amount of research to stop the rust on my Shelby, I found and used this on the frame: Por-15
It stops rust without having to get a whole new frame that is galvanized, wouldn't a galvanized frame eventually rust? I am not sure how much more extra strength the replacement galvanized frame would provide? (I think I saw something at eastcoastrovers?)

Do search on galvanizing, waxoyl and por-15.

I would also like to have a soft top D-90, but I had a question: Has anyone tried to modify a SW to have a removeable hardtop? or is this impossible?

Yes and Yes

I like the following colors (in this order):
Willow Green (I know this is only on the '97 ltd which are auto and SW only. right?) YES
Black
The lighter green? (not sure the color name)
Yellow
Red

Any other advise you can provide would be great,

OIL COOLER LINES, when you get your Defender...that's the first thing you want to replace!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, buying, d-90