NAS D90 rear cross memeber - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

NAS D90 rear cross memeber

Looks like I need to replace my rear cross member. Galvanized or not let me know if anyone has one.
Thanks!
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Welding a galvanized one on is a pita and difficult to do well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:37 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
Looks like I need to replace my rear cross member. Galvanized or not let me know if anyone has one. Thanks! Craig
Go with the galv!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I've seen people weld a plate over the crossmember only to replace the entire chassis two or three years later.
How's your bulkhead?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:33 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Welding a galvanized one on is a pita and difficult to do well.
That's why I have a pro doing the work for me.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2014 07:38 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I've seen people weld a plate over the crossmember only to replace the entire chassis two or three years later.
How's your bulkhead?
Everything else is in great shape. This started out as a "hey, lets replace the gas tank skid plate". You couldn't tell the cross member was bad until the gas tank was out, it looked great from everywhere else.
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:43 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Makes sense on a full galvy chassis but putting a galvy piece on a 20 year old chassis makes a little less sense to me, especially if there is a heavy premium on purchase price and installation.

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It's also difficult and unhealthy to weld Galvanized metal due to the fumes given off.
You have to grind off all the galvy before welding.
If you want to do just the rear crossmember go for regular steel.

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:48 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I was really sick for a couple of weeks after doing a lot of light welding on some galv stuff indoors when I was younger... I'll probably end up dying from that shit.. Weld in well ventilated area with a respirator mask on.. Your children will thank you for it....
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:13 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
It's also difficult and unhealthy to weld Galvanized metal due to the fumes given off.
You have to grind off all the galvy before welding.
If you want to do just the rear crossmember go for regular steel.

Respectfully of course, I disagree. The crossmember area is the most rust prone section of the chassis. If it's bad enough to cut off and replace, why replace it with the same uncoated steel that allowed the corrosion in the first place? The labor is the same whether it's galvy or steel that you're installing, so the only price difference comes down to the $100-$200 for the galvy. A small price to pay to avoid re-doing the job 10-15 years later.
If the rest of the chassis is corroded, then replacing it with a galvy version is the prudent way to go, but at ~$1900-2100 for galvy crossmember replacement vs. ~$7,000-10,000 for a full galvy-chassis swap (parts included for both); if you don't need it- save yourself the $6k-8k...

Let's make sure we're giving these guys solid info!
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Respectfully of course, I disagree. The crossmember area is the most rust prone section of the chassis. If it's bad enough to cut off and replace, why replace it with the same uncoated steel that allowed the corrosion in the first place? The labor is the same whether it's galvy or steel that you're installing, so the only price difference comes down to the $100-$200 for the galvy. A small price to pay to avoid re-doing the job 10-15 years later.
If the rest of the chassis is corroded, then replacing it with a galvy version is the prudent way to go, but at ~$1900-2100 for galvy crossmember replacement vs. ~$7,000-10,000 for a full galvy-chassis swap (parts included for both); if you don't need it- save yourself the $6k-8k...

Let's make sure we're giving these guys solid info!
Why regular steel?

By the time that regular steel replacement crossmember rots out, the rest of the regular steel chassis will be swiss cheese and a galvy replacement for the entire chassis will be the only option.

I'm firmly in the camp of full galvy replacement chassis, no half measures. But the OP prefers a more economical route at this time.

If you look at the economics, using your numbers, he will spend between $8,900 and 12,100 repairing then replacing the chassis.

Its his vehicle his choice.

Here is something to read if considering welding galvanized metal: http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf

Old July 31st, 2014, 09:50 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I vote regular metal replacement then POR-15, topcoat and Waxoyl the hell out of the inside cavities. With the tank out it's pretty easy to access and paint.

And slather cooper or grey anti-seize on all bolts. That back end is a tarp for dirt and mud but keeping an eye on it goes a long way.
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:50 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Why regular steel?

By the time that regular steel replacement crossmember rots out, the rest of the regular steel chassis will be swiss cheese and a galvy replacement for the entire chassis will be the only option.

I'm firmly in the camp of full galvy replacement chassis, no half measures. But the OP prefers a more economical route at this time.

If you look at the economics, using your numbers, he will spend between $8,900 and 12,100 repairing then replacing the chassis.

Here is something to read if considering welding galvanized metal: http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf
Thanks for the input. I will talk to my guy, he is a vender here with a great reputation.
Old July 31st, 2014, 10:01 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I vote regular metal replacement then POR-15, topcoat and Waxoyl the hell out of the inside cavities. With the tank out it's pretty easy to access and paint.

And slather cooper or grey anti-seize on all bolts. That back end is a tarp for dirt and mud but keeping an eye on it goes a long way.
This is what we will do.
Thanks guys for the input.
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:57 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Why regular steel?

For the sake of anyone else reading this thread in the future- the error in your argument is your belief that a chassis, forward of the crossmember, will not survive for 10-15 years without galvanizing.

My 95' is about 19.5 years old and is rust free forward of the CM- how old is yours? Anyone that has dabbled in antique cars knows that frames that are well cared for- last for decades. It's the "scoop" design of the Defender CM and typical offroad/mud-catching use of these trucks that makes the CM prone to corrosion- not age itself.

Properly cared for (thorough cleaning, waxoyl, and/or an occasional coat of POR-15), and you simply don't need to replace the original chassis.

Again- with regard to the CM itself- it's only $100-200 difference in price between galvanized and steel. Since a galvanized CM prevents corrosion in one of the more highly susceptible areas of the chassis for $100-200 extra, why would anyone install a steel replacement?
Old July 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
For the sake of anyone else reading this thread in the future- the error in your argument is your belief that a chassis, forward of the crossmember, will not survive for 10-15 years without galvanizing.

My 95' is about 19.5 years old and is rust free forward of the CM- how old is yours? Anyone that has dabbled in antique cars knows that frames that are well cared for- last for decades. It's the "scoop" design of the Defender CM and typical offroad/mud-catching use of these trucks that makes the CM prone to corrosion- not age itself.

Properly cared for (thorough cleaning, waxoyl, and/or an occasional coat of POR-15), and you simply don't need to replace the original chassis.

Again- with regard to the CM itself- it's only $100-200 difference in price between galvanized and steel. Since a galvanized CM prevents corrosion in one of the more highly susceptible areas of the chassis for $100-200 extra, why would anyone install a steel replacement?
For the sake of anyone reading this in the future, the error in your argument is assuming that a 19 year old chassis is still safe. I've seen 2004 Discovery chassis with holes big enough to put a fist threw. Take that chassis and add another 19 to it...well even you should understand the consequences of that.

The important thing here is that the OP, as I said before can make his own decisions, which will fit in with his needs. That's not for you to dictate.

Old July 31st, 2014, 05:59 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
For the sake of anyone reading this in the future, the error in your argument is assuming that a 19 year old chassis is still safe. I've seen 2004 Discovery chassis with holes big enough to put a fist threw. Take that chassis and add another 19 to it...well even you should understand the consequences of that.

The important thing here is that the OP, as I said before can make his own decisions, which will fit in with his needs. That's not for you to dictate.

Rocky/King- listen guy, don't take it personal- it's the guidance that I'm disagreeing with, not singling you out personally. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that it should go uncontested. The "OP" just made a decision based on the guidance you provided, which is based on some 04' Disco chassis up in NE that you put your fist "threw" (it's "through", btw). Again- it's not age, it's condition.

Based on your age argument- we're all living dangerously by driving around in NAS trucks with corrosion free chassis's...

Craig (and others)- good luck in making your decision on cross-members. Just went through this process myself last year. I've provided my two cents (more like $20/worth!).
Out.
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ross did you weld the galvy crossmember on yourself? I can tell you from experience that what the others have said is true. You have to grind off the galvy and even then you are going to get exposed to a lot of toxic fumes. The welds are not going to be as good. And I'd be surprised f you were not charged a premium for that. But as others have also said, I think with proper treatment a non-glavy replacement can be protected well enough to survive the life of the chassis. The original would have too with proper treatment like POR-15

Again just my opinion, but I'm in the non-galvy camp for this.
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:59 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Ross did you weld the galvy crossmember on yourself? I can tell you from experience that what the others have said is true. You have to grind off the galvy and even then you are going to get exposed to a lot of toxic fumes. The welds are not going to be as good. And I'd be surprised f you were not charged a premium for that. But as others have also said, I think with proper treatment a non-glavy replacement can be protected well enough to survive the life of the chassis. The original would have too with proper treatment like POR-15

Again just my opinion, but I'm in the non-galvy camp for this.

Charles- I hear you, but did you read the posts? Not contesting that welding galvy is easier, or better for your health. Neither are a factor for Craig anyway, who is paying a professional to do the work (and will likely use proper PPE).

I agree in my posts above that a steel (uncoated) cross-member can be protected by proper care, but for a couple of hundred bucks extra- why worry about it?
Old July 31st, 2014, 07:12 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
My welded galvanized crossmember before POR-15 was applied, for a factory look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	99833   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	99834  

Old July 31st, 2014, 07:58 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Hey Ross - trust all is well mate.

The flaw in your opinion is that you start with a perfectly good chassis in the first place. Unfortunately these bitches rust from the inside out...so when you finally see an issue it is waaaaaay too late. It normally manifests itself in the "hollows" of which the xmemebr in the rear is the #1 spot, followed by the front horns then the bump stop areas and so on...the logic in the argument is that a good/xcellent chassis is fine and welding on a galvy member is better...BUT....that logic is unsound when given the level of effort and certainly the issues with welding galvy. If you put a brand new steely on AND treat it (and the rest of the chassis) real well then it is (a) easier to weld and (b) by your logic just as good or better than the rest.

At the end of the day - steel to steel if in great condition -----or relace everything with a galvy chassis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted