Mountain Bike - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:49 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Mountain Bike

Looking for recommendations for a good entry-intermediate level mountain bike. Likely need a 16" frame if it makes any difference. Use would be around town/light trails maybe more than light trails as time goes on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:56 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Check this out.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...kes-63513.html

I ended up with the Santa Cruz 2016 5010 CC XX1 build (after getting the '15 Carbon S build). Couldn't be happier, but lot's of opinions.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:59 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Still have my old 99 Kona Lava Dome with Marzochi Bombers. Love it.
Kona makes or made, ( Not sure if quality these days) bikes.
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:44 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

My last bike was a ca. 1992 or so kona fire mountain. Loved it.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I have a Niner EMD that is size medium that I'd like to sell that I've only used once since moving to NYC. It has hydraulic discs, SRAM 2x10, remote lockout on the front fork, and a tubeless wheel set. Looking to get ~$900. I will have it checked over by a bike shop before a selling.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:37 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I have a Niner EMD that is size medium that I'd like to sell that I've only used once since moving to NYC. It has hydraulic discs, SRAM 2x10, remote lockout on the front fork, and a tubeless wheel set. Looking to get ~$900. I will have it checked over by a bike shop before a selling.
Nice 29er - I've seen it.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:41 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Did I catch a "niner" in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:42 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Did I catch a "niner" in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?

You know how I feel about CB radios
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:04 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Having spent as much on my 29er as my first Land Rover - and, having the middle-aged body to go with it - I highly recommend you consider as much "float" as you can achieve for your budget. By that, I mean, consider where you want to be in 5 or 10 years with the same bike and where your physical needs are headed - i.e. do you already have back pain?

Fat bikes offer lots of "suspension" while remaining hard-tailed, so you can get a better set of components, have the soft ride, and run it all year.

29ers go over things much, much easier than traditional mtn. bikes. but typically cost more.

The newest trend of so-called "plus sized" bikes try to meet the 29er and fat bike literally in the middle - 3" width tires instead of 2" (traditional mtn bike) or 4" (fat tire size) - and - 27.5" wheel sets instead of traditional 26" and the newish 29". You get better rolling (to go over obstructions), more surface area, but less weight and sluggishness associated with the fat bike. The down-side is, they are fairly new to the market, so offerings are somewhat minimal and probably pricier than they ought to be.

I could go on and on about "full suspension" and how much it's transformed my riding - I really do feel 20 years younger on my 29er - but as with many things in life, it's about priority. Figure a 50% upcharge.

I can't recommend enough to ride, ride, ride the different offerings. Just like the difference between car manufacturers, bike companies differ way more than we can appreciate on paper. I can't ride Trek as my back's too long. I don't love Giant geometry. I am gaga about my Specialized. But it took a lot of effort on my part - and the salespeople - to get me comfortable.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:14 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlandrover View Post

Fat bikes offer lots of "suspension" while remaining hard-tailed, so you can get a better set of components, have the soft ride, and run it all year.

I can't recommend enough to ride, ride, ride the different offerings. Just like the difference between car manufacturers, bike companies differ way more than we can appreciate on paper. I can't ride Trek as my back's too long. I don't love Giant geometry. I am gaga about my Specialized. But it took a lot of effort on my part - and the salespeople - to get me comfortable.

Fat bikes might have "suspension" but it's undampted... I remember almost being ejected the first nom snowy drop I attempted on one.... Great bikes in all seriousness but I would not recommend much of a knobby tire in the summer.

Really the advice to go ride some bikes is the best one. Hit up some trail demo days and see what works for you.

Its amazing how small things will make the bikes ride differently. Tire pressure alone can make a bike ride terribly or amazingly. I'm a big fan of tubeless tires and low pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:23 AM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

Ride the bikes is the best advice. Most people who are new will think that you don't know enough to tell the difference. After 3 bikes you will. If you can find dirt to ride on great, if not at least find a steep hill to up and down. Make some quick turns and some longer and more drawn out turns.

For your first bike a regular width 27.5 or 26 will most likely be the most bike for the money. It sounds like you don't even know yet if you are going to ride anything very technical. Get the best component group you can afford. Newer all mountain style bikes are generally more slack in the head tube angle (sounds techy but it is not) this can make them a little more upright which is more comfortable for most people and easier for going down hill.

Lastly a dropper seat post will allow you to drop your seat from a handlebar release lever. I would give up my rear suspension, front shock, and my wide carbon wheels for a good quality seat dropper. Once you go off road it is kind of the equivalent of airing down in a 4x4. You can get back on the bike easier and it allows you to move the bike around under you much more freely.

Used bikes can be had for great deals if you are just a little careful.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
youre in the DC area...probably lots of bikes on craigslist that would suit you. Find someone looking to dump their tricked out 26" bike because it's been hanging in their garage since the 29'er purchase they made 3 years ago. Set a price you're comfortable with (I'd say for you, keep it under $900 or so and you'll have no problem finding what you're looking for). I'd stay away from investing anymore than that until you're sure you're going to stick with it...for $900 you can find a bike easily that will thrash any trail you want, and if you really get serious about components and frame materials...you wont be posting on a Land Rover site about what bike to buy. Here's a few in a quick search I did around you

Litespeed Ocoee Mountain Bike
Titus Motolite
2008 Jamis Dakar XCR
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:16 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Tony send Huff a note he will set you straight
Old June 23rd, 2016, 02:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
PM sent

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:56 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tony what's your budget? Pricepoint has some good deals on Transition Bandits right now...another buddy just picked up a nice Bandit with 27.5's for around $1500 shipped

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
mount