Mantec or Rovers North winch bumpers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 7th, 2004, 06:30 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

Mantec or Rovers North winch bumpers

Just checking if anyone's got one they happen to have sitting around in the garage or if your thinking of upgrading?

Pic shown is of a Mantec bumper, Rovers North version has the recovery points on the winch housing of the bumper.

Thanks,
Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John's bumper_oa.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	791  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Al, I came real close to copying John Lee's bumper and trophy bar from RN back when I was building up my truck. I ended up going with the ARB all-in-one unit (bought from John Lee's EE) and here's why. First the RN Mantec and trophy bar combo was roughly $1200 without shipping whereas the ARB was $599 or something plus shipping. If money's no object then I would suggest strength is the main concern. The trophy bar is bolted to the bumper like a stock brush guard. Looks cool, but it can't be any sturdier than the ARB. In fact I think it is pretty flexy unless welded and reinforced.

I can't argue that the look of the JL version is the best, that's why I almost wish I'd gone with it. However the last two trips to Tellico, the ARB has paid for itself in strength by taking the force of some trees and a boulder that would have flexed the trophy bar into the wing or worse.

Just my $0.02 worth and usual disclaimers apply. Your mileage may vary, opinions are like a$$holes.....
Old June 8th, 2004, 03:46 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I scrapped my ARB because it reduced my approach angle and made my truck look like a wrecker. So far the RN bumper (& straight genuine style brush bar - reinforced) can take anything just fine. Though tempted, I haven't tried wrecking H2s with it yet though. Have slid the truck along rock on it and everything. Usually all it does is knock down weeds.

I kinda don't see the need for the bruch bar and have been considering ditching it for an A-bar with light mounts. If you like it Al let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion, I personally like the ARB but with the fit of the adapters on the 110 the bumper tends to stick out a bit and I'm not quite sure I would like the look of it? I wanted to retain somewhat of an original look, comparable to the camel trophy. If I depart from that look all together then I would probably opt for the Rockware bumper. I've attached a pic Rockware bumper with the Husky 10, which looks pretty sweet to me. Decisions.....decisions....LOL

Wicks,
Let me think about that, I've always liked the look of your rig. BTW, how do you like your bumper? Is it structurally better than Mantec's? From what I understand it was only on the recovery points that were different.

Thanks guys,
Al
still searching....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02596a.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	793  
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Al I forgot you are running a 110 and you are right about the ARB sticking out too much with all the adapters. The 110 I owned (200/500 NAS D110) had a factory LR winch bumber and wrap brush guard. Looked really sweet. You should go with the JL version like Wicks has and be satisfied with that.
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

http://catalog.roversnorth.com/catal...esloftdefender

RN has a husky SG bumper for $700

Ron
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
c2sox
Al Cruz

Thanks for the link Ron, I was actually debating on that.

Al

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
bumper, mantec, winch