Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 19th, 2014, 05:04 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
LR4 Suggestions

hey guys i know there have been a few LR4 discussions on here and i know a few of you own LR4's and some of you sell land rovers.......

its come time for my wife to get a new car and she wants a WHITE LR4........

so first off is there any major reason to buy a brand new one verse say a 2011 with low miles for WAY less money?

anything in perticular i should make sure i get or avoid......

and anyone have one they want to sell cheap?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:12 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

I've got a 2011 and have had it since new. With just shy of 60k miles it's been bullet proof thus far, knock on wood. One set of tires, two brake jobs and a few oil changes in that time and that's it.

Unless you desire that new car smell, then it's certainly a better value to pick up a used one and get an extended warranty for it. The build quality and materials used are of such a quality that you would hardly notice a different over new.
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

There have been little changes from year to year, so you may want to be conscious of that, but if having the latest and greatest voice control, navigation, audio interface & passive keyless entry aren't important to you, there is little difference.

The biggest thing to be aware of is that in '14 they changed the grille, headlights & taillights and replaced the V8 with the New Supercharged V6. Pre-Owned and Demo Models are an Excellent Value and the New Warranties are incredible! I suggest getting it from a dealer and ask about all the Warranty Options to decide which one is best for you. There is a 6yr/100k Certified, and New 5yr/75k Certified for Demos and the Land Rover Protection Plan Warranties are incredible, you can add up to 7yrs of additional warranty!
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

My wife drives a '12 LR4 HSE - we picked it up a year ago as a demo. Had 4,000 miles on it - was super clean. Since then we've put another 15,000 on it. It's great on road trips (we've done a few 600 milers) - that's where it performs the best - on the highway. No issues to speak of.

The one downside is the gas mileage - it's worse than I thought it was - didn't help that we put a full rack on it but still wasn't great before it. That seems to be the reason to get a 2014 - better gas mileage - and maybe they've added a few features missing from older versions (drivers seat presets, passenger seat lumbar and maybe you don't have to pay to turn on the DRL's!).
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

In late 2012 I picked up a loaded used 2012 with about 13000 miles for about the same price as a stripped down new. Only problem I've run into was due to the ARB I put on after the wife hit a deer - the parking sensors are finicky, and at one point I must've done something wrong and it knocked out the sensors and backup camera. I fudged around with it (disconnect and reconnect sensors, disconnect battery) and they came back to life - I have no idea why.

Other than regular maintenance and the ARB, it's been good.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Get an idea of what regular service like oil changes, brake jobs, balancing, yearly alignments and tires cost before you make this decision. Your post indicates you may actually care about the cost of ownership and they are NOT cheap to own (ignoring the price of entry). It's a nice car but am not overly impressed with mine for the cost of it :D
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:05 AM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Don't expect big gains in gas mileage on 2014's in the real world. The LR4 did not dop the weight that the Sport and RR did . Rated at 1mpg more and I think that is mostly the new transmittion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
My wife drives a '12 LR4 HSE - we picked it up a year ago as a demo. Had 4,000 miles on it - was super clean. Since then we've put another 15,000 on it. It's great on road trips (we've done a few 600 milers) - that's where it performs the best - on the highway. No issues to speak of.

The one downside is the gas mileage - it's worse than I thought it was - didn't help that we put a full rack on it but still wasn't great before it. That seems to be the reason to get a 2014 - better gas mileage - and maybe they've added a few features missing from older versions (drivers seat presets, passenger seat lumbar and maybe you don't have to pay to turn on the DRL's!).
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:34 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
Don't expect big gains in gas mileage on 2014's in the real world. The LR4 did not dop the weight that the Sport and RR did . Rated at 1mpg more and I think that is mostly the new transmittion.
On top of this, important to weigh the cost of the new vehicle vs. used for that marginal mpg benefit.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:22 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
In late 2012 I picked up a loaded used 2012 with about 13000 miles for about the same price as a stripped down new. Only problem I've run into was due to the ARB I put on after the wife hit a deer - the parking sensors are finicky, and at one point I must've done something wrong and it knocked out the sensors and backup camera. I fudged around with it (disconnect and reconnect sensors, disconnect battery) and they came back to life - I have no idea why. Other than regular maintenance and the ARB, it's been good.
I've heard the sensors don't get along well with the steel bumper. Interesting that you finally got it to work. That sounds like a pita.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:08 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I've heard the sensors don't get along well with the steel bumper. Interesting that you finally got it to work. That sounds like a pita.
Definitely a PITA. ARB didn't do nearly as nice a job with the sensor mounts - you have to drill your own holes with a paper template, I had to graft in some wire because the old harness didn't reach a sensor, the only screws that fit the holes to hold the sensor in place were too long, and the instructions tell you to install the sensors at the end rather than when the bumper is sitting on the floor.

I hadn't hear about steel interfering. Do you know if it's the steel-on-sensor contact or the steel interfering with the sensors sensing range?
Old January 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'm not sure. A friend of mine is having a tough time getting them to all read correctly. If the sensors are hanging outside of the holes they seem to work correctly. As soon as one is inserted they all seem to act up. ARB looks to have done very little R&D in this regard.

Good luck. If I hear if a solution I'll let you know.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I really don't see any reason the sensors shouldn't work; however, if she hit a deer, it is entirely likely that something was damaged. Occasionally sensors get screwed up, but the harness' and connectors almost always do.

The Memory Seats and Power Tilt/Telescope etc. are part of the Luxury Pkg. There were little differences from year to year, but generally speaking a '12 or '13 are about the same and the HSE has all you need, the Lux brings more Creature Comforts.

Like someone else said, you aren't going to change your lifestyle with the fuel savings of the V6, but Blind Spot Monitor is a nice new option for '14.
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:41 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
thanks for all the responses so far.

yea i really dont care about the gas.......there really isnt much difference....they are all better then what she drives now.....our 2007 jeep commander averages about 14 MPG!

no exaggeration she drives about 3000 miles per YEAR.

Ive tried to show her a few other options but once she decides she wants something there is no changing her mind........and i really agree with her anyway. There just is no other nice luxury truck that still is BOXY......other then a G Wagon and thats MORE money......

Ive seen a few good deals on 2011 and 2012 LR4's already so i think i will save the $15,000 to $20,000 difference between the new 2014 and a 2011 with 40,000 miles........

If any of you guys see a nice white LR4 let me know.

also on a side note if anyone wants a 2007 Jeep commander in BLUE with 170,000 miles on it for DIRT CHEAP let me know.

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2014 06:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post

What rack did you install?
any pics?

thats one thing i may consider adding......
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:02 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
If you go with a 2010 or 2011 I would say look for an HSE PLus, gives you passive keyless entry and rear camera.
You can tell if it is a plus if it has the little black squares on the door handles.
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:56 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Cool thanks.
I'm assuming a lux would have everything I can get?
I'm definetly going to get at least an hse but was leaning towards finding a lux.
I've never heard of the plus?
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:02 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Lux pack is nice, softer leather, upgraded stereo, bi xenon lights, cooler box and memory seats.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Np pics but here's the link - http://www.voyagerracks.com/DIIIVR.htm

BTW - Bought our LR4 from Dox above.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:35 AM
Palomino
Rico Palomino
1995 D90 SW #001

lr4

Bought my wife a 2012 Siberian Silver LR4 last year. It was a demo had 5700 miles on it. They had added the roof rail, ladder, rubber floor mats and tail light guards. It Even after adding the warrenty we still saved close to $15,000. Out of all the extras ,the floor mats are something that is a must. They are so easy to clean.
We used the LR4 last summer to pull our 28FT. travel trailer from Florida to Maine. It weights about 6000lbs. The LR4 didn't miss a beat.

Rico
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
I really don't see any reason the sensors shouldn't work; however, if she hit a deer, it is entirely likely that something was damaged. Occasionally sensors get screwed up, but the harness' and connectors almost always do.
I don't think the sensor was damaged, as the sensor worked the months after she hit the deer. Most of the (admittedly small amount of) damage was below the sensor - cracked fender flare and knocked out fog light surround; no damage to the actual bumper cover. It was likely the connector - I was fudging around per the ARB install manual by turning them, and I may have pulled some of the wires too tight.

They seem to work now, so I'm not touching 'em.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
lr4