Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
bneri
Brian
1994 NAS D90 soft top

Registry
Looking LR4

I know this is a Defender site, but I figured a number of you have other non-defenders as daily drivers....I'm looking to trade in my 4Runner for a LR4 (likely 2010)...if anyone can provide comments, positive or negative, regarding their experience with the LR4 it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to use it as a daily driver and need reliability...won't be mentally able to handle 2 rovers with engine lights popping on every month!

Thanks in advance

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Call will at premier rover 858 344 4455 get the scoop.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I bought a 2012 that the wife primarily drives. Bought used with 13000 miles last October and put 23000 miles on it in its first year. Only two very minor non-maintenance items have popped up. First is a rattle inside the rear passenger door that sometimes happens that sounds like a loose wire hitting the door panel. Second is that on a trip to Ohio the seatbelt buzzer would sometimes start beeping even though the car was in park. Other than maintenance and the soon-to-be-fitted (hopefully I can find time this weekend) ARB to replace the deer-damaged plastic, it's been a champ.

Biggest complaint on my part is that the only oil that meets their spec in the US can only be bought at Land Rover or Jaguar dealers.

FYI - The wife is not a car person but still loves it. The only gripe she has is that it's not as fun to drive as her previous car, a BMW 540i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Hi Brian, I can advise you on all aspects of an LR4 purchase and could even provide a few choices for you if you are interested. Send me a PM with some info about your price range and what exactly you may be looking for.
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
bigkel162
Kelvin Nodarse
1995 county lwb

Registry
Have had my LR 4 for two year drove it cross country and numerous trip for northeast to the south. You can't go wrong by far the best Land Rover on the rode today. I totally recommend it 2010 and forward is the right year as the 5 liter 385 horse is strong and dependable
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:16 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
Having worked at a Land Rover dealer for the last eight years and have always owned at least one for the past twelve, I can tell you that you should not expect many problems with a newer than 2010 Land Rover.
The LR4 is a great truck, if you buy a preowned one they have great warranties when they are certified.
If you find one and have questions about it, pm me the details and I will see what I can find out about it.
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Brian I recommend getting an ideas of what servicing one will cost where you live as I expect you won't like the costs compared to your toyota.
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Get the workshop manuals and learn how to work on it.
That's what I did...
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I do my own maintenance too but given he is trading in a 4 runner and mentioned he doesn't want to have 2 rovers needing maintenance it is worth mentioning.

I will tell you that I object on principle to needing to do your own maintenance on a brand new vehicle because of high maintenance costs
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM
bneri
Brian
1994 NAS D90 soft top

Registry
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm going with a 2011 LR4, 30-40k miles...excited about it.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Did you find "the vehicle" yet? I'm happy to help if I can. I work for a Land Rover Dealer, so Let me know if you have any questions. The CPO Warranty is great but depending in the vehicle and your driving habits, the Land Rover Protection Plan may be a better option. PM or Email me if you'd like to talk about it.

-Andrew
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:33 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I do my own maintenance too but given he is trading in a 4 runner and mentioned he doesn't want to have 2 rovers needing maintenance it is worth mentioning. I will tell you that I object on principle to needing to do your own maintenance on a brand new vehicle because of high maintenance costs
That is a concern of mine. Purchased a 05' 4Runner new that now has 115k on the odo. It has never been to a shop or had an alignment. Oil changes every 7k, over 40k from Costco Michelins, front rotors and pads at 80k, flushed tranny at 100k. Toss in one battery a few air filters and that's about it.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I just bought a 2013 toyota 4runner trail edition in July but have been thinking about trading for an LR4. I don't want to hijack the topic but if someone wanted to trade for an LR4 I am open to offers. I just like land rovers better. Sorry for the hijack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	84203  
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:12 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I'm a Land Rover sales guide in Greenville, SC... You won't be disappointed with an LR4... If you're into the latest electronics like complete bluetooth compatibility, then look for a 2012 and up... If you don't care about that, and also don't need nav, I have the best priced 2010 in the nation sitting in my showroom right now... And like these guys said, make sure it's something with a CPO warranty or similar.
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
I'm a Land Rover sales guide in Greenville, SC... You won't be disappointed with an LR4... If you're into the latest electronics like complete bluetooth compatibility, then look for a 2012 and up... If you don't care about that, and also don't need nav, I have the best priced 2010 in the nation sitting in my showroom right now... And like these guys said, make sure it's something with a CPO warranty or similar.

Pretty nice price on a 2011 you have too:
http://www.landrovergreenville.net/c...802fbe3ead.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
lr4