Looking for info and to trade 5 Wolf for 5 steel (wheels/tires) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Looking for info and to trade 5 Wolf for 5 steel (wheels/tires)

I currently have 5 Wolf rims that are in decent shape, (painted in CARC nato green). They have new-ish tires with roughly 80% tread left. I am having a hard time valuing them. I saw someone else posted rims without tires (albeit in white and not CARC) for $700. That is night and day more than I thought they would be worth, and I have good tires on mine too. I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me price them.

I bought an ex-mod defender and I'm trying to get away from the military look, so I'm looking to do a 1 for 1 swap for 5 steel rims that are wider than my Wolf's. I'm new to the Defender community and having a really hard time locating and deciphering the technical specs for the style of wheels and tires that I am after. I know, I'm giving you tons to go off of.

I ideally want tires in the realm of Cooper STT, Goodyear Duratrak, or BFG A/T with Sizing around 255/85/16 (is this too big with a 2" OME lift, or can I go bigger?). I am currently under the impression that I wont be able to trade for these, but as I said, I don't know what my tires are worth. This is just the only way I can describe what style of wheels I need.

I don't have an image of the wheels at the moment. If anyone is interested, I'll run down and snap a few, then find out how to get them on here.

I want to trade for similarly priced, steel rims, preferably with tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
your wolf steelies are a desirable wheel type. You can see their value by checking the big rover houses like Atlantic British and Rover's North. As for the tires, if they are 7.5x16 Michellin XZL's coming off a military rig, with as you say 80% left on them and good condition rubber, well you may just get a 1 for 1 trade on new tires, as those are highly desirable here and very difficult to obtain. Some consider those the best overlanding tire made anywhere.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wolfs are .6.5 inch wide Rover alloys are 7. 255/85 is a great size and will fit on both.
Think you should just get fresh steel wolfs which are usually black or have your current ones cleaned up and refinished.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Agreed. Wolf's are a great and desirable wheel. just have them stripped and powder coated color of your choice. They look good on any rig.

you can only own boost wheels if you live in the NY tri-state area. It's regulated and enforced by the CBP.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:34 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I have 10 of these all white they are the 5.5x16 i think
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:46 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Agreed. Wolf's are a great and desirable wheel. just have them stripped and powder coated color of your choice. They look good on any rig.

you can only own boost wheels if you live in the NY tri-state area. It's regulated and enforced by the CBP.

I agree. Powdercoat/paint the rims you have.

In all of this, I think you might be saying you want alloy rims??? Wolfs are steel wheels and look pretty great, especially once they're all cleaned up.

As far as boosts and tri-state goes, ask Ronnie or I if we have boosts.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
I appreciate the help guys. In retrospect, the actual type of tire I have to trade is a bit of a big deal haha!

Overlander, just like you guessed they are Michelin 4x4 O/R XZL 7.50 R16 C 116/114 but I was wrong about the tread. The spare is brand new: as in still has the blue line and little dangly rubber bits new. The front two are used, but with no real discernible tread wear, and the back two are better than 80%.

So wider tires like the ones I want will fit on WOLF rims, or are the tires I was told to get not any wider? If all I need is new tires to widen the truck up then I will run these into the ground and just update them only when I need to.

This is a photo of the worst worn tire that I could find. Not a perfect reference, but it will have to do. My thumb is marking where the new tires tread hits. its a really small difference. It isn't even a centimeter of wear.

This is a good view at what the rims (and the spare tire) look like.

------ Follow up post added July 22nd, 2014 08:10 PM ------

I don't want alloys, I was just under the impression that WOLF rims were too thin to hold a drastically wider tire. I am misinformed either as to what the wheel can handle, or how wide my desired tire actually is. It looks like I'm either keeping the wheels and getting new tires later, or I need to reevaluate what tires I want.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:55 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
UPDATE: I did some more research based on the info everyone gave me. It looks like I need a rim that is 16" in diameter and from 7.5 to 9 inches wide, unless I want to stay with BFG MT's.

I would be more than happy to do a 1 for 1 trade to anyone who has a set of 5 steel wheels with Cooper STT, BFG MT, BFG AT, or Good year Duratrac's that are about 33" in diameter and at least 80% wear remaining.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

LR fitted 265/75-16 as stock on 7 inch rims. I have 255/85-16 on alloy. The wolf would be fine with that size. Whose giving you the info that you need wider rims? Plenty of people have with 7 inch alloys gone to 285 and as wide as 315 tires.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
255x85's on Wolfs perform very well. There are pics of my set up here on my registry. Off road I typically air down to 15-16 and have not popped a bead yet. Perfectly fine for daily use as well.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Most tire sizes you'd want will be fine on the Wolfs. I had wolfs and 315/75-16 on my truck when I got it. No issues, other than my wife and son trying to get in.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:51 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Post if you decide to sell altogether, and how much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wolf/Nato/130 wheels are apprx $100 ea new.
What are the date codes on your tires ? Many of the mod trucks I have seen have ancient tires.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:00 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Whose giving you the info that you need wider rims? Plenty of people have with 7 inch alloys gone to 285 and as wide as 315 tires.
That's the issue, the wolfs are 6.5, not 7. There is a far better selection of tires for 7" rims then 6.5, but an even greater selection for 8". No one in particular, I'm just going off of the limits that the tire companies have listed.

I'll take a look at the years when I get a chance today.

I know the 285 MT's will fit wolfs, but that seems to be one of the only tires in the size I want that will fit, and I don't want to be limited to that one style.

I also see it this way: I have something that i don't appreciate, but other people do. So it is wasted on me, and I might as well get it to someone else (and get what I do want).

Should I make a new thread in the for sale parts section? or is there a way to have a mod move this one?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Wolfs will hold the bead on the 7's, but if you want to go wide...

Gulf Coast Rovers has the American Racing Wheels

15x8

http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/15x8-black-nugget/

That will get you a ton of wide options. My buddy is running these on his classic.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I have the steel wheels off my 110 when I imported it with XZL tires on them not sure if that rim helps you tire wise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 23, 8 20 44 AM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	99247  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'll shoot the elephant in the room. The disco spares look nowhere as nice as the Wolfs....keep em
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I'll shoot the elephant in the room. The disco spares look nowhere as nice as the Wolfs....keep em
Zack, I agree. The D1 steel spare is fugly.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

There is a reason I turn down free sets of the D1 spares. Certainly wouldn't turn down the wolfs they just look right on a Defender.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
And the Wolfs have a much stronger lip. Plus the offset is kicked out a bit so may help a little where turning radius is concerned.

I like the look of the Disco 1 steel spares but the Wolfs look a bunch better. Wish there was a company that could add an inch width to them.

Cal - what size and brand tire are you looking to run? Unless you are going to a 315 width I say keep the Wolfs.

Another food for thought on tires - match them to the truck config. NAS V8's and PS can spin and turn 35's. 2.5NA diesels with manual steering will have a better time with a 235 or 255.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
steel wheels, tire, tires, wheel, wheels