Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 30th, 2009, 01:49 AM
D110DC
Pete
66 SIIA, 70 IIA, 97 D90

Registry
Post Looking for a RH Swivel Pin Housing

All,

Looking for a Right Hand Swivel Pin Housing so I can convert my 83 D110 from RHD to LHD with the heavy-duty front axle. Example is on the Rovers North website:http://www.roversnorth.com/store/ima...rge/RNE210.JPG

Anyone have one available or know where I can get one?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM
Paul Grant
Paul Grant

I have a number of right swivel housings off various RRC's and DI's. If the housing from an ABS equipped Rover will work (and I'm not sure it will) you can have one for $50 plus shipping. If I can be of help contact me directly at paulgrant@mac.com as I am not regularly on this site.
Cheers,
Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have found it much easier to swap out the old 10 spline axle for later 24 spline from a Rangie or Disco on the conversions I do- grab the panhard rod bracket from the donor as well, Disco's, Classics and Defenders all use the same front components. I initially was trying to chase down these knuckles for the early axle, but swapping in the entire axle complete with later style (wider/more beefy bushings) radius arms takes hours less time and is a signifigant upgrade ( not to mention considerably cheaper). The only thing heavy duty about those early axles are the cv joints.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Paul Grant
Paul Grant

I probably sell 20 "conversion kits" a year to guys in the Philippines converting right hand drive Discos they import from Japan. The "kit" consisting of a good left hand steering box with Pitman arm, panhard drop mount and right swivel allows them to convert these Discos to left hand drive so they can resell them to waiting customers in their country.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

How many bolts are there are on the swivel pin to housing? I know really early ones have 6 not 7 bolts but I am not sure when that cross over happened.

The only ways I know to do this are to swap the entire ball assembly out of a 10 spline RRC (assuming the same number of bolts to the housing), swap the correct RH knuckle off of a 110 (the only ones in the US that have the axle are the NAS 110s) or, as doug says, swap the whole axle (with radius arms as the 110 ones are narrower) and refit your defender track rod and buy the proper LHD defender stabilizer bracket thing that goes on the end of the drag link or use the DI/RRC steering with the damper behind the axle (not recommended for off road as that damper gets damaged easily.

What I would do is fine a DI or RRC (mid-1993 and up have 24 spline) in a junk yard and grab the axle, box (make sure no leaks, the LHD DI/RRC boxes leak bad because they have so little fluid because the res is on the same side as the box), panhard rod and bracket and swap the whole thing in.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Paul Grant
Paul Grant

I had an '85 RRC with six bolts. My '91 had seven. I don't know if it happened with ABS or NAS.

Old November 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
D110DC
Pete
66 SIIA, 70 IIA, 97 D90

Registry
Thanks for all your advice, guys. Ron, is there a more secure way to keep the LHD boxes from leaking, despite their small of fluid they maintain? Believe it or not, this 1983 does not leak - much - and I would like to keep it that way when this project it completed and it becomes my daily driver.

Pete
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Do what Rover did with the Tdi's. Put the reservoir on the right side of the engine compartment. The additional fluid that will fill the longer tubing will make the system run @ a cooler temp. If you really want to do the job right get the factory lhd 300 tdi metal return line-it acts as a eat sink to cool the fluid. When are you going to post some pictures ? I want to see that truck as a double cab.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted